• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Earth |OT| Can you feel the soul of mecha anime in your BONES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

vXEw8LP.jpg

Title: Captain Earth
Genre: Mecha / Sci-fi / Action
Length: 25 episodes

Official Site: http://captain-earth.net/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRmhnG_Mq0

Where to watch
Streaming on Crunchyroll every Saturday: http://www.crunchyroll.com/captain-earth/

What is this?
A traditional mecha anime about a young boy who pilots a mecha to protect Earth from aliens. From the creators of Star Driver. There are giant robots punching stuff, lots of missiles, and explosions.

3lrSPiu.jpg

Dynedom

I'm in.

In Bones we trust!

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Actual Episode 1 Impressions:
-Insane budget
-
Transformation sequence
was awesome
-Protagonist is likable and hasn't shown typical tropes (yet)
-Other characters show promise
-2D MECHA. NO SERIOUSLY. INTO MY VEINS
-Based brown girl

Jarmel

Banned
Do you like the music in Star Driver?
Do you like the transformation sequences in GaoGaiGar?
Do you like Episode 1 of Eureka Seven?
Do you like over the top villains as in Star Driver?
Do you like 2D mecha?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, then you need a dose of the Captain.

duckroll

Episode 1 had some really nice character scenes with young Daichi:

The episode on a whole was really pretty awesome. It's really faithful to the traditional tone of oldschool fun mecha shows. The main character doesn't seem like an annoying brat. There's really cool action and effects. The villains seem pretty silly. The music is great. Pretty great stuff in general. Mmmmmm. Maybe we'll get a rocket punch next week!

Gbraga

Loved the first episode, I already had high expectations, but was still blown away by the quality. Those visuals and soundtrack were amazing. Worth watching for the launch sequences alone.

Hana best girl

All those Star Drivers feels! Loved the first episode. Crazy villains and 2D animation? YES.

Can't wait for the next episode where the battle will truly start.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I gotta say, I am quite impressed.

Now, let's see if this can actually stay consistent and not fall off the deep end like AO.

Yonafunu

That was good. The insert song, Libido injections and starry sky were all straight out of Star Driver. Like, extremely similar. The enemy mecha design and the way they operated too.
This fills me with joy.
Great old-school mecha feel too, especially when the Earth mecha was assembling. I'm excited.

Link Man

Banned
This was quite enjoyable, coming from someone whose only experience with mecha is Gurren Lagann (and FLCL, if that counts?).

Do you like the music in Star Driver?
Do you like the transformation sequences in GaoGaiGar?
Do you like Episode 1 of Eureka Seven?
Do you like over the top villains as in Star Driver?
Do you like 2D mecha?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, then you need a dose of the Captain.

YISSS

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
First episode was good. Great production values, animation and a pretty decent if cliche set-up.

But it's not getting me excited or anything unlike say ep1 of AO.. unfortunately this will probably end up being pretty bad if BONES recent track record with mecha shows is anything to go by lulz. :(

BkfPR-7CYAAiUKp.png

Needs more planetary gears. Good character.

I dont know how I feel about the two factions though kind of makes it hard at least here in episode one to understand who the antagonists are, earth forces fighting earth forces for what? just crushing their hope? Unless the other faction isnt necessarily affiliated with Earth and comes from the space gate from that colony over there with other humans.

Will stick around as it was a fairly good start, beginning stuff with Teppei and Daichi could have lasted much longer as it was soothing and relaxing, thanks to the visual they are bound to have more time.

Expand system felt kind of unnecessary and like a waste of energy in the context of the universe (though was pretty cool four minutes of visuals) why develop such a system and not just house the entire mecha in space? It also seemed strange to still rely on such an archaic way of launching things to space considering that which they have up there.

Oh well Daichi is good lead and the pv gives me hopes for good mech action this season.

Dennis

Banned
Going to watch the first episode to see if it is for me.

I am currently going through Spaceship Yamamoto 2199 which has great animation.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gonna watch this tonight on my PS4 hopefully.

Can't say no to that BONES mecha no matter how many times my trust is violated.

Jarmel

Banned
So I rewatched episode 1 of Eureka Seven to see how close it mirrored up to Captain Earth and it's pretty damn close.

The speech with Daichi's counselor is pretty identical to the speech Renton got from his counselor. In both scenarios, Daichi's and Renton's father is viewed as a hero/celebrity and their guardians both flat out reject their ward following in the path of their father. You then later have this scene:

ibpINclST7vCT0.jpg
iyfKwJEUEl55g.jpg

Both hate the town/city that they're stuck in.
There is a sense of isolation from both and a discontent from both main characters about their futures. They both have their hobbies, that they're good at, but nobody takes them seriously and just view as them goofing around. There is also the usual boy meets alien girl that is (probably) the main romantic interest
This is much more common so I doubt it's a throwback to Eureka Seven and more of a general mecha trope, although Daichi's jacket when he was a kid is very similar to Renton's.

Tizoc

Isn't Eureka Seven more character oriented with less focus on mecha? Non the less will keep an eye on this anime, if it offers kickass mecha fightst hen all the better.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jarmel your post just makes me shake my head at how a show from 8 years ago can be so artistically superior to this. It's like a totally different class.

Jex

So I rewatched episode 1 of Eureka Seven to see how close it mirrored up to Captain Earth and it's pretty damn close.

The speech with Daichi's counselor is pretty identical to the speech Renton got from his counselor. In both scenarios, Daichi's and Renton's father is viewed as a hero/celebrity and their guardians both flat out reject their ward following in the path of their father. You then later have this scene:

There is a sense of isolation from both and a discontent from both main characters about their futures. They both have their hobbies, that they're good at, but nobody takes them seriously and just view as them goofing around. There is also the usual boy meets alien girl that is (probably) the main romantic interest

This is much more common so I doubt it's a throwback to Eureka Seven and more of a general mecha trope, although Daichi's jacket when he was a kid is very similar to Renton's.
Why are you so mean, Jarmel? Firstly, comparing Captain Earth to Eureka 7 is some kind of cruel punishment because a direct comparison would reveal just how bad Captain Earth is in comparison. You're right to say they share a handful of plot similarites, but a number of those are two do with BONES appreciation for the original Gundam series which laid many of these tropes out e.g. our hero is a mechanic, slightly disenfranchised perhaps, adults are bad, and he's gonna end up in a robot by the end. The only real change from that is throwing a girl in there.

When you actually pull away from the macro level and look at all the detail you see why they aren't comparable at all. Pacing, script, direction (and tone), storyboarding, even art and animation. They're literally worlds apart.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jarmel your post just makes me shake my head at how a show from 8 years ago can be so artistically superior to this. It's like a totally different class.
If we were still getting mecha shows that were of E7-quality on a daily basis.. no-one would be getting excited about Captain Earth here.:p

NEO0MJ

Why do mecha pilots always need to wear skin-tight suits? Anyways, I feel that I need to check this out.

I'm not sure how I feel about Captain Earth with just its first episodes.

It's visually there, but I don't know if it's there aesthetic-wise.

As for the overall plot itself, I can see the similarities with Star Driver/Eureka Seven, but similarities are pretty much it... on its own, the hook hasn't sunk in yet.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it still hasn't tugged me in.

Will continue watching for 2D mecha, animation and the music though. And I like adolescence stories that aren't afraid the embrace the youthfulness of the core pillars in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom