• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE : EAD Tokyo already working on next Mario game,

L~A

From an interview in EDGE :

“That’s still a secret! I can tell you, though, that we’ve already started approaching our next challenge.”

“There’s still a lot more room for discovery and invention, and we’ll continue to propose new and exciting game mechanics going into the future.”

“If follow-up to Super Mario 3D World is to be a Wii U game, co-director and EAD Tokyo team leader Kenta Motokura says his team “might need to make even more use of the GamePad.”

Unfortunately, they don't say whether it's for the 3DS or the Wii U. Yoshiaki Koizumi confirms that if the next Mario game is on the Wii U, it'll use the GamePad more than 3D World did.

Source

Lunar15

I'd say the "bigger" news here is actually that they may want to maybe kind of somewhat, oh i dunno, maybe use the gamepad. (could they be any more vague?)

Given that Iwata set the tone of "we need to use the gamepad more", this kind of response is not really that surprising. "Of course we're going to use the gamepad" they say.

Mory Dunz

Isn't it going to be 3DW2?

The same way Galaxy 2 existed?

Making money back on the engine. I'd prefer DLC personally.

Tenki

Whatever they make

E7nGPHw.gif

emb

Would be surprised if we don't get a new Mario announced at E3 then released by the end of the year.

Will be surprised if it's from EAD Tokyo though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
didn't we already know it?
or did we just know that the team was already working on another game?

Tagg9

Would be surprised if we don't get a new Mario announced at E3 then released by the end of the year.

Will be surprised if it's from EAD Tokyo though.

Not happening. Smash Bros is a big enough holiday title that they don't need a mainline Mario game.

TriGen

It wouldn't surprise me if it's for their next handheld (and also ported to their next console based off Iwata's shared architecture goals), as I think a 2016 launch sounds reasonable and he does say they're "approaching their next challenge" which makes it sound like they're still in early planning stages for this new Mario.

Maxrunner

So EAD is Mario and Zelda. What about Metroid?
Jesus, they could at least mount a studio or two for Metroid, starfox and f-zero....

rawk

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a Wii U sequel to 3D World reusing the engine and a bunch of the assets. They need Wii U games, but it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on them.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it's a launch game for their next system.

Would be surprised at almost anything else.

entremet

Jesus, they could at least mount a studio or two for Metroid, starfox and f-zero....

There's multiple EAD teams. EAD Tokyo does the 3D Mario games. It's a separate team from the Zelda team, which is separate from the team that does the 2D Mario games.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Give it a fucking rest and make a new IP already. Mario is my favorite franchise and all, but there's only so much I can take.

The game won't be out for 2-3 years at the earliest.

Their mistake was making too many games in the "NEW" lineup too close together. The 3D games are fine though.

It's EAD Tokyo, guys. That studio's core team hasn't developed a serious, retail, non-Mario game since Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat for the GameCube (2004).

You should never expect anything besides Mario from them.

They should probably rename it EAD 3D Mario at this point...

EAD is 7 teams. Team 3 Kyoto does Zelda, Team Tokyo 2 does 3D Mario
SPD1 does Metroid, along with Rhythm Heaven, Warioware and Tomodachi Collection.
The last in-house F-Zero was done by Nd Cube, who all left in a massive exodus from the company.
Star Fox, I think is supposed to be one of the SPD teams but that isn't particular set in stone

Top Bottom