• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

http://www.thewrap.com/bryan-singer-accused-sexually-abusing-underage-boy
Lawsuit alleges Singer “manipulated his power” to exploit 17-year-old boy

“X-Men” director Bryan Singer is being accused of “sexual abuse” of a teenage boy in a lawsuit filed Wednesday, according to court documents obtained by TheWrap.

According to the lawsuit filed in federal court in Hawaii, plaintiff Michael Egan, who was named in a press release by his lawyers, was 17 when he was forcibly sodomized by Singer, among other accusations.

The suit alleges Singer provided Egan with drugs and alcohol and flew him to Hawaii for sex on more than one occasion in 1999 and claims that Egan was not the only underage boy who was abused.

The abuse allegedly began in 1998, shortly after Egan was lured to parties at a house in Encino, Calif. where a high school friend lived, the lawsuit claims. The house, known as the M & C Estate, was often the site of “notorious parties” where adult males allegedly preyed on young boys, the lawsuit claims.

According to the lawsuit, Egan was a model and aspiring actor. The documents claim Singer told Egan at one such party that “the adults who resided in or frequented the M & C Estate controlled Hollywood and could decide whether Plaintiff's career aspirations and hopes would be realized” and was also present when Egan was warned to keep those men “happy.”

The men supposedly told Egan they were sure he was homosexual according to their “gaydar,” even though Egan told them he was straight.

Attorney Jeff Herman said he planned to file more lawsuits against Singer and others involved in the alleged parties.

“Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children,” Herman said. “This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue.”

A representative for Singer did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

According to some there have been rumblings of this for a long while now and it was just a matter of time. Another wrinkle: age of consent in Hawaii is 16.
EDIT: And to clarify further because some posts seem to not realize (thought bolding would be enough but idk), the abuse allegedly took place in 1998-9.

He hangs out in West Hollywood and hits on younger men saying he can make them famous. I actually told someone here on gaf about this a few months ago.

GorillaJu

If the age of consent in Hawaii is 16, then where does legality come into this? Sounds like an attempt to ostracize Singer for being gay.

charsace

This has been known for years. Is there a case here? Because I thought 17 was legal in California?

There have been stories about him since at least APT PUPIL.

I wonder what Brad Renfro thought of him.

There was always rumors that Renfro was one of his boys along with the kid who plays Iceman in the X movies.

big ander

He hangs out in West Hollywood and hits on younger men saying he can make them famous. I actually told someone here on gaf about this a few months ago.
I hadn't heard but the first reactions to the news that I saw were LA people going "oh yeah obviously."
If the age of consent in Hawaii is 16, then where does legality come into this? Sounds like an attempt to ostracize Singer for being gay.
This has been known for years. Is there a case here? Because I thought 17 was legal in California?

in this specific case, I think it comes in when you consider that Singer supposedly transported him to Hawaii from CA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Act#Legal_application
But even if this case doesn't go through, the simple fact that it's coming together likely means someone else will come forward with accusations of abuse in a state where consent is 18
edit: and yeah obviously if it was rape, age of consent...doesn't really matter

styl3s

And you have actual proof of this? Or are you just speaking from the ass.

I don't even like Singer but i still take innocent till proven guilty serious and i also take bullshit accusations very serious. Not saying that this would surprise me but it also wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be bullshit.

But if you are going to go around telling stories at least bring some facts/evidence.

Volimar

I think being forcibly sodomized is illegal no matter the age.

I'm always a bit suspicious when the victim goes the lawsuit route instead of pressing charges, but who knows if it's true...

What the hell's going on ITT? So we already knew Singer sexually abused underaged boys?

ItIsOkBro cuz ppl like his movies.

AFAIK it's just been rumor till now. Same as the creepy Nickelodeon guy that tweeted the pic of the girl's feet.

Glad I don't give a shit about him then. If I liked or looked up to this dude, I'd be pretty crushed. Every time I watched, or even just thought about my favorite movies from him, I'd think of this and those memories would be tainted.

Yeah I've heard a lot of rumours about his twink parties.

Were they normal, or did they have themes from his films?

Slayven

But is 17 still off limits for someone Singer's age?

Why isn't this a police issue?

17 is not legal? Anyway yeah I dunno everyone has their day in court so innocent till proven guilty.

I think if transporting someone under the age of 18 across state lines expressly for sex, it becomes an issue,

Dead Man

Sleazy move guy tells kids he will make them famous in order to have sex with them? Not possible.

As to this case, if there was force involved, Singer needs to go to jail, if not, then I can't get too worked up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom