• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

"Four or five years ago I kind of proposed to ['X Men' director Bryan Singer] that it should be no more than 400 [people]. You know what Bryan said? 'You want to make it that exclusive?' I said, 'Are you kidding me?’ But then I kind of realized when [Singer] makes a New Year's party there’s like 600, 700 twinks running around and he’s hiding in his room. That’s quite typical."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1024561

That was my first thought. Personally, the age doesn't bother me, but that part does.

legally speaking age of consent will play a factor in such cases. I mean, it's illegal either way to forcibly sodomise someone, but you're going to be facing more charges if that person is also underage.

charsace

I wonder if the forced part means physical force?

And I don't understand how someone can accept expensive trips from someone and not think they want to fuck you?

injurai

Banned
For all we know the claim is some sort of an entrapment for something that in reality was consensual. An impressionable 17 year old could really question if they were in the right mind and twist the memory. Especially if they become ashamed the the choice. Creating a high profile lawsuit isn't uncommon.

But if it happened like was claimed then hopefully it comes out. Damn shame if so.

Reading the article, looks like the suit is being brought by the same lawyer who represented the five people that charged Kevin Clash (Elmo) with sexual abuse.

Herman previously represented the five plaintiffs who accused Sesame Street Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of sexually abusing them. Three of the suits were dismissed due to the statute of limitations running out, however, the plaintiffs vowed to appeal. One other plaintiff dropped his complaint, and a fifth plaintiff's suit is currently active.

Clash resigned from Sesame Street in November 2012, after the second accuser filed suit against him.

Christopher

Disgusting if true.

But it might not be so we gotta see what happens personally I wish that court cases sometimes were settled before making headlines.

This will most definitely tarnish Singer regardless of outcome so why not wait for case to end before making alligstions to the media?

And you have actual proof of this? Or are you just speaking from the ass.

I don't even like Singer but i still take innocent till proven guilty serious and i also take bullshit accusations very serious. Not saying that this would surprise me but it also wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be bullshit.

But if you are going to go around telling stories at least bring some facts/evidence.

Yeah because I was going to record him asking my friend for dick. I was there. I've seen it happen. The dude is a creep. It is known.

EDIT: and like I said I told some Gaffers about it the night it happened. Which was months ago.

G-Fex

Not sure what to think. I guess this is the first i'm hearing of these kind of accusations for Singer.

Still, it's weird how people in this thread are like "Oh lol, yeah we already knew that about him, not news"

Dead Man

It's disgusting if true but at the same time I can't help but questioning the motive since this lawsuit comes in time a few months before the release of the new X-Men movie.

Yeah, very vile stuff if true, but the timing doesn't look innocent. Sexual abuse survivors often take a lot of time to get up the courage to go to court though, so I will give the benefit of the doubt for now.

G-Fex

Yeah because I was going to record him asking my friend for dick. I was there. I've seen it happen. The dude is a creep. It is known.

EDIT: and like I said I told some Gaffers about it the night it happened. Which was months ago.

goddamn. This is crazy.

Wazzy

Banned

Oh wow that's really shady of BS.

I'm not a huge fan of him already but hearing this stuff is making me dislike him even more.

Mesoian

Horrifying if true. But calling a 17 year old a child is kind of wrong, eh?

I wonder if the forced part means physical force?

And I don't understand how someone can accept expensive trips from someone and not think they want to fuck you?

abe-simpson-gif.gif

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Not sure what to think. I guess this is the first i'm hearing of these kind of accusations for Singer.

Still, it's weird how people in this thread are like "Oh lol, yeah we already knew that about him, not news"

Not just this thread. Combing through twitter, a lot of the entertainment news reporters are sharing the link with variations on "It finally comes out" and sentiments of that nature.

Volimar

It's disgusting if true but at the same time I can't help but questioning the motive since this lawsuit comes in time a few months before the release of the new X-Men movie.

To be fair, it would always have come out right before/during/after Singer had made a film of some sort. I mean, as long as Singer is working, a lawsuit is going to come out around the time he was working on or finishing a movie.

injurai

Banned

Ugh. Hollywood just seems so dark when you start to look underneath everything.

To be fair, it would always have come out right before/during/after Singer had made a film of some sort. I mean, as long as Singer is working, a lawsuit is going to come out around the time he was working on or finishing a movie.

Yeah, I always have to question stuff like this. Was it really rape? But it sounds like there is some definite enticement going on.

Dryk

Sleazy move guy tells kids he will make them famous in order to have sex with them? Not possible.

As to this case, if there was force involved, Singer needs to go to jail, if not, then I can't get too worked up about it.
Depends on the circumstances of the case, if it was just a guy at some party sure whatever. But if he was applying for a job then its a pretty clear abuse of power analogous to teacher-student cases.

Sheroking

In the gay community, it's really not rare for 50+ year olds to pursue entirely willing barely-legal boys. It's creepy until you realize that it's a mutual attraction thing and not the equivalent of an old dude perving on teen girls. You just kinda have to see it to see the difference.

But flying a 17 year old to another state, plying him with booze and drugs and "forcibly" sodomizing him is rape and not in line with any of that, so... I'm not even sure why I brought it up.

Dead Man

Why would you even care? lol

Because they want it to do well so there are more X Men movies?

Depends on the circumstances of the case, if it was just a guy at some party sure whatever. But if he was applying for a job then its a pretty clear abuse of power analogous to teacher-student cases.

That's true, but abuse of power is different for teachers. Everyone has to go to school, not everyone has to be a hollywood actor. It's why have sex with a student is illegal in many places if you are a teacher, but having sex with a prospective or current employee often is not illegal.

Doesn't make it much less scummy, but it's not exactly analogous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom