• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMORI Kickstarter - Earthbound just became creepy

Cheddahz

Banned
ea837bab35b2776de18734b51706fa9e_large.gif

Kickstarter Page
Kickstarter Trailer (if you like the music from the trailer, you should check out the dude who made the music for it, bo en!)
OMORI Website
[URL="https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/002/102/390/c8faab51cf5955a49d676db760105532_h264_high.mp4"]OMORI Gameplay

[/URL]
d2cb8dfd21c11ef6a984eb4ab4af3a1e_large.gif

6ba76d826995ca743cb7da6a3eb47b26_large.gif

Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5
Update #6
Update #7
Update #8
Update #9
Update #10
Update #11
Update #12

OMORI is a surreal psychological horror RPGmaker game. You must travel between two worlds, both welcoming, both concealing the same secrets. Meet new (old) people, fight new (old) enemies, explore your own memories, and uncover some hidden truths along the way (although you wish you hadn't.) When the time comes, you can only choose one.

Which world is more real? You decide, I guess.

Story:
Welcome to WHITE SPACE. Your name is OMORI and you've been living here for as long as you can remember. Everything is bright white; there aren't any walls. A black lightbulb hangs from the ceiling… wherever it is. There's a floor but it's always cold. The warmest thing here is probably your laptop. You don't mind though. You have a blanket, a laptop, a cat, a sketchbook, and a tissue box. You have everything you need.

You are usually upset. Everyone annoys you, you think you are ugly, you don't know where you came from, you don't know where you are going, and you're too tired to care.

On good days, your neighbors invite you over for a visit. "How can they have fun with someone as horrible as me?" You miss them now. When will they come again? Maybe today will be a good day!

Or maybe today is a day for sleeping.

But...Sometimes you're reminded you used to have another friend-- someone really important.

Somewhere in the back of your head, you have an inkling feeling that you weren't always like this. You weren't always living in WHITE SPACE.

The truth is...

Your story is already over.
You just have to remember it.

Features:
DIRECTED, WRITTEN, and ILLUSTRATED by the artist OMOCAT

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK by SLIME GIRLS and SPACE BOYFRIEND

8+ DUNGEONS to explore and 60+ UNIQUE NPCs to meet and get to know

THE JUKEBOX QUEST (A side-quest where the player can collect tracks from different musicians/bands to play in the Jukebox at Gino's Diner)

Ability to choose your gender and name every member of your party

A traditional turn-based battle system with untraditional statuses and states based off real human emotions and conditions

WAVES OF UNRELENTING NOSTALGIA

A bunch of (un)necessary detail

Memorable characters…?

Really long gameplay

A room full of cats

Stretch Goals:
bab2f243ddb63e0605649ea5a88106d2_large.gif

daydream

Banned
I expected at least one of the devs behind this to have worked on indie titles with a very similar vibe (like 'Off'), but I found nothing of the sort on the KS page/their homepage. (Edit: Well, RPG Maker is mentioned, that makes sense.)

Anyway, looks awesome. Glad it's already funded.

marvel8797

Neo Member
so after watching the music video, I mean trailer, I learned nothing...yes of course take my money!

seriously, though, totally pledged money to this.

Wookieomg

Holy moly this snuck up on me. Earthbound is one of my all time favs and the look and feel of this definitely seems like I could devour it all. :D The description of the game kinda threw me off at first, when they said:

OMORI is a surreal psychological horror RPGmaker game.

I immediately thought it was a create-your-own-adventure RPG, which wasn't very exciting to me. But then I kept reading the Kickstarter page and realized my brain had derped and it is indeed a fullly featured RPG. Hooray! :D

God dayum I am backing this so fast I'm twerking.

But what was MOST surprising for us all was the amount of support we are getting from overseas, especially in Japan. In addition to English blogs, we are being featured on an incredible amount of Japanese blogs and websites... Nico News, Gigazine, GameSpark just to name a few! (Also, I am getting tweets in Japanese like crazy.)

The team is quickly realizing that we may need to make a Japanese localization of OMORI, and are currently working towards that. We will most likely add it as a stretch goal in the near future. For now the next stretch goal is the Mac port! (courtesy of Jammed Gears)

Haha, that's pretty cool!

Gbraga

So, my credit card can't handle both my Heart Forth Alicia and my Omori pledges. I hope they open paypal pledges and let it roll until at least 10 days after the Kickstarter is done, that would be perfect >_>

Otherwise I might be in for a low tier.

Just found out about this yesterday. Looks good, might be the first project I've backed in a while. Hopefully theres a good amount of content but seeing 8+ dungeons doesn't give me much confidence.

RM8

I didn't find it creepy or appealing, to be honest. I don't like gameplay-less Kickstarter reveals.

mao2

Yeah, the 3DS and Vita stretch goals do seem a little too high... Regardless I backed it because I really like the art and music. The character sprites are super cute!

Top Bottom