• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMORI Kickstarter - Earthbound just became creepy

so1337

Backed.

Goes to show that you don't necessarily need a traditional pitch video to sell a game. A nicely cut, beautifully illustrated trailer can convey an idea just as well.

maxcriden

Oh wow, this looks quite cool. I don't know how it stayed under my radar for so long. The OST is great. Listening to it right now, it's really rad.

Gbraga

$70,000 to port a RPG Maker game to Vita? That is absurd.

Isn't that the reason though? I remember reading that if they would port it to consoles they'd have to remake the entire game using a different engine, since they can't use RPG Maker, or something like that.

Azriell

I am so (almost) sold on this. At first, I didn't really buy the Earthbound aesthetic. As I see more footage, particularly combat and some of the environments, Earthbound comes through very strongly. After watching the trailer, I am super sold. It doesn't really come across as creepy to me (which is good, I'm not really into things that are supposed to be scary), but I did find it weird and kind of cool. The premise is cool, too.

I will almost surely buy this, but I don't really believe in Kickstarter, so I'll wait and see what happens. Hoping for 3DS milestone.

ZeroX03

Banned
As impressive as that trailer is, this Kickstarter has a number of warning flags. The trailer is all flash and shows very little cohesion among game elements. The creator does not show their own identity, just the pseudonym. Had to dig to find the developer's real name and they're a student who does freelance work not a professional developer. Not even sure who or what Gino is, a fictional diner owner or an actual contributor? The Kickstarter doesn't mention the engine but the dev notes it's done on RPG Maker on their website. There's no budget, just vaguely that the money is going to the people involved. The risks and challenges sections is barebone and says nothing other than "game development is risky", there's no real acknowledgement of risk. How they'll port to 3DS and Vita is also completely beyond me, nobody on their team appears to have those skills and the engine is not suited for it as far as I can tell. Will definitely be asking them to clarify these things before backing.

But, it's very impressive if the screenshots and trailer are showing in-engine and aren't mock-ups. Easily some of the most inventive use of graphics and art style with RPG Maker I've ever seen. Playing to the strengths of RPG Maker really well.

Hansel

Banned
If they have to remake the game for 3DS and Vita I think she should go ahead and make another kickstarter just for those.

Earthbound was already pretty creepy. Especially
as the game went on, that ending.

I would buy this game, especially if it made its way to the 3DS.

SOME-MIST

no physical edition... so I won't be paying more than the digital release level ($15).

would have easily paid around $150 for a boxed edition.

kuppy

They made it past the $100,000 now, congratz!

But that means they need 80k in 5 days to get the game on 3DS, sadly I don't think that will happen.

This would be a perfect Vita title, and it's a shame that $250K stretch goal seems so unreachable.

I do get it, though. They'd have to redo everything to port it to handhelds. That seems worth the money.

Hansel

Banned
From update #7:
"It looks like we're a little over half-way to the Nintendo 3DS goal, but fear not; if we do not make it to the stretch goal, there is still a chance that we will be able to port it to the 3DS and Vita."

That is crazy good news.

Crayons

Banned
This game looks great, I'd love to play it on my Vita but it doesn't look like that's happening. Maybe 3DS can make it?

kuppy

Oh my gosh!

They are at 160k now, with 14h left - this seems possible, makes me so happy.

Edit: Want this to happen so badly, upped my pledge.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
5 hours people. Get me that 3DS version. I'm also very close to giving in and putting up another 35 for the Guide/Art book.

sörine

Banned
Only $5k more to go for 3DS, it's definitely making it. Too bad Vita isn't lower as it could've probably pushed to $200k I think. Are they doing Paypal too?

Gbraga

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to back this. Really hope they sell the shirt and crewneck, I love those designs.

Tenck

I'm replaying Earthbound right now, and looking at that art and hearing the music, UHHHHHHHHHH.

I'd love this right about now! Unfortunately I can't back it, as I've only got $30. Don't want to have an unexpected expense today and overdraft.

Top Bottom