• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMORI Kickstarter - Earthbound just became creepy

ZeroX03

Banned
Have they mentioned how they're going to port an RPG Maker game to 3DS without an experienced developer/programmer on their team? This is still dodgy as hell.

pantsmith

Did a little bit of looking around the artist's work, and the game seems like an exploration of a lot of the themes/influences I can really dig. I'm fairly picky about what I kickstart, but this seems personal enough and has an enormous wealth of art and passion behind it.

Don't think they'll make it to the Vita tier, but I'd love to see it on my other handheld.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Have they mentioned how they're going to port an RPG Maker game to 3DS without an experienced developer/programmer on their team? This is still dodgy as hell.

The programmer is in the stream chat right now and she works for the people who dev RPG Maker.

ZeroX03

Banned
I literally know nothing about the subject, but how was To the Moon handled? As far as I am aware it was made in RPG Maker and yet still ported to other OS's

Just OS X and Linux. Not sure about how To The Moon does it specifically, but you can use WINE and similar tools to get RPG Maker working on those systems. It's a much easier process than 3DS.

They're giving a 'no comment' on the stream. This Kickstarter smells like a fucking scam to me. Either that or they're clueless to what they're doing. EDIT: Actually I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the latter but still.

The programmer is in the stream chat right now and she works for the people who dev RPG Maker.

Just looked into it and she works for DEGICA artist. She has no involvement with developing the engine itself.

kuppy

They're giving a 'no comment' on the stream. This Kickstarter smells like a fucking scam to me. Either that or they're clueless to what they're doing. EDIT: Actually I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the latter but still.
It could totally be that they are just excited that this is happening. They might not know how to port the game yet and maybe even only put the goal on to gain popularity. But no way this is a scam.

ZeroX03

Banned
It could totally be that they are just excited that this is happening. They might not know how to port the game yet and maybe even only put the goal on to gain popularity. But no way this is a scam.

Asking for money for a goal they have no clue how to achieve is what I'd call a scam, personally.

I've had a friend ask for clarification on their Facebook page.

They could be contracting the port out and have just not finalized whose doing it quite yet.

Then they wouldn't need a 'no comment', would they?

kuppy

Asking for money for a goal they have no clue how to achieve is what I'd call a scam, personally.
It was just a assumption of me. And I would only call it a scam if they plan on not carrying to deliver on that promise. As far as I can tell, they will dig into it and search for a solution to this though.

ZeroX03

Banned
It was just a assumption of me. And I would only call it a scam if they plan on not carrying to deliver on that promise. As far as I can tell, they will dig into it and search for a solution to this though.

Yes, that's true, but I'd like them to clarify if that's the case. Sorry if I'm coming across as aggressive, I really like what crowd funding allows game devs to do, but feel projects gone bad sets a dangerous precedent, which is not good for anyone and this project is setting off warnings in my head.

JDSN

Banned
Looks amazing, but the director's name is nowhere to be seen in the pitch and no credentials, switching from RPG maker to 3DS with aparently no experience or contact with Nintendo seems shady.

nynt9

I'm also going to jump on the "how are they going to port this to 3DS/Vita when RPGMaker doesn't allow for it" train. I'd actually like to know, because my trying out RPGMaker hinges on that :p

If they're going to get someone to rewrite the entire game for a library that supports 3DS and Vita (does such a cross platform openly available library exist? Are the licensing fees going to be covered), it would still take a tremendous amount of effort to not only rewrite the game but also the entire RPGMaker framework that the game is built on.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well they're answering questions and the programmer says they're porting for other platforms and they're the main dev on the Steam version of RPG Maker. Comments on the 3DS version seems to be implying that support in RPG Maker is coming.

Edit: They have a publisher for eShop version.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well they're answering questions and the programmer says they're porting for other platforms and they're the main dev on the Steam version of RPG Maker. Comments on the 3DS version seems to be implying that support in RPG Maker is coming.

Can you clarify what this means?

Is there a name for that publisher? I gave up asking in the stream, couldn't get a proper response. Interesting the publisher is only for eShop, they're using Greenlight for Steam

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can you clarify what this means?

Is there a name for that publisher? I gave up asking in the stream, couldn't get a proper response. Interesting the publisher is only for eShop, they're using Greenlight for Steam

They maintain and dev the Steam versions of RPG Maker and about the publish I'm not too sure I went to do something after I posted.

I'm actually kinda worried about this, because it sorta seems like something Nicalis might pick up. They published Grinsia from Kemco and then started a poll asking if 3DS owners would be interested in more JRPGs.

What engine does Kemco use to make their phone games? If it's RPG Maker, then I think we know who's fronting part of the bill...

Top Bottom