• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official video: Xbox One coming to China.

Sony has dropped the ball on this one, dat 1B potential buyers

What makes you say that? Maybe they're going to announce it at E3. If Microsoft is not personally localizing games and mandating the over the top publication requirement in China, you can bet that publishers will knock at Sony's door to ensure their launch is close to Xbox's.

With that said, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for gaming in general. This can do more damage than good. I am very optimistic that this will be great for the industry as a whole, but expect to see a lot of hurdles. Quite a few agree that localization and diversification is not the answer to conquering Chinese market.

Good move by Microsoft for taking this step.

you've masterfully directed how this thread will be directed, lol.

To the video though it seems like this will be a pretty interesting venture for Microsoft but I do agree...something about Yusuff.. I don't click with that dude.

ps_management_full_kaz.jpg

"Why go first?"

fedexpeon

Banned
Waste of time imo, should release to more t2 and 3 countries.
People tend to buy the best product for bragging right, and Sony is known for quality in Asia.
And the PlayStation brand is really strong in Asia, some of my family asked me to send them ps4 instead of money for lunar new year.

malfcn

"it would be cool to buy games legitimately."

Is piracy that big in their culture? The world likes to joke about knock off and piracy being rampant in China.

The market is huge. If it proves to be worth it Sony will join sooner than later. But there could be the need for some education. Also, is content going to be full price in this territory or region?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Could be a game changer. Could be nothing. We'll see. The gaming market has needed something catered to the chinese market for a long time. If even just a fraction of Chinese are interested in the console gaming market, they will easily overtake Japan, seeing as China is 10 times bigger.

More than half the population still live on less than $5 a day. I don't think they're buying an XBO anytime soon.

I imagine those that can afford this sort of luxury good are already importing this sort of luxury good, tbh.

Mrbob

Could be a game changer. Could be nothing. We'll see. The gaming market has needed something catered to the chinese market for a long time. If even just a fraction of Chinese are interested in the console gaming market, they will easily overtake Japan, seeing as China is 10 times bigger.
It is called PC gaming.

Good luck to MS. Maybe they'll reach triple digits.

fedexpeon

Banned

You do know the console market exists already as a grey market that the government doesn't give an eff about?

And China probably don't care about console gaming. PC is king, KING, of the gaming industry. They love their MOBA, and MMO.

Synth

You do know the console market exists already as a grey market that the government doesn't give an eff about?

And China probably don't care about console gaming. PC is king, KING, of the gaming industry. They love their MOBA, and MMO.

Yea but a grey market probably doesn't get much awareness via advertising or other forms of marketing.

Also are their genre preferences and general favour of PC gaming not likely to be a direct result of consoles not being distributed there? Seems a bit silly to say that they all prefer PC gaming, when its the only legitimate option.

Silky

Banned
I don't know a thing on how the market operates in China so I'm unsure as to what I'm supposed to feel.

But, cool, I guess. PS4's in HK, right

Atomski

I could be totally wrong and only time will tell but for some reason I just dont see the Xbone selling well in China.. sure probably more than it would in Japan, but thats not saying much.

Also about Sony not making a move.. doesn't most of China still have a stigma against Japanese products? It sounds like to get the Xbox there they still had to partner up with a Chinese company.. I am not sure a big Chinese company wants to make a joint venture with a Japanese company.

Not claiming to be an expert on this or anything, just seems like there is still anti japanese stuff on the news from china every now and then. Figured this would affect trade surely..

hawk2025

I don't know a thing on how the market operates in China so I'm unsure as to what I'm supposed to feel.

But, cool, I guess. PS4's in HK, right

Which has a Per capita income of 50,000 USD.

5 times larger than China's, and that's even before accounting for the extreme inequality that makes the median incredibly lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

I'm not saying going into China is destined to fail at all, but claims on how "huge" the market is are completely absurd.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Aren't the consoles widely available in China anyhow? I know that they are technically illegal but isn't that just kind of ignored?

wapplew

PS4 have better chance of success in China to be honest.

- Better MMO and F2P support and lineup
- Better localization
- PS+ free games
- Better Japanese game support
- Cheaper

All they need to do is setup local PSN frame work and they are good to go.
Also there is rumors about MS Sony and Nintendo will have booth on China Joy (China biggest game show) this year, I think no one is late to the party.

Also are their genre preferences and general favour of PC gaming not likely to be a direct result of consoles not being distributed there? Seems a bit silly to say that they all prefer PC gaming, when its the only legitimate option.

Genre preference to PC is usually due to localization and piracy.
Console games are rarely localized outside of first party titles and the "easy" stuff (ex: Dynasty Warriors.) So even till now, console gaming are reserved for those who are willing to put up with Japanese/English.

Yes, Non-localized PC titles don't sell well in China either.

As for distribution - anyone who wants a console knows where to get one.
Like every other hot and popular tech device that isn't officially released in China.
It's not grey to the point where you have to walk into some secret basement shop or something.

And not a single person in China who has the living room space for Kinect.

China isn't Japan.

GamerJM

Banned
Yea but a grey market probably doesn't get much awareness via advertising or other forms of marketing.

The grey market is already extremely widespread and cheaper.

Chinese gamers also heavily favor F2P PC games because they're free.

Other companies have attempted to sell consoles in China and they were largely unsuccessful.

Usobuko

Banned
They started FPS on PC ( CS was really huge in lan back in early 00s ), the transition to console using a controller and paying $60 for any piece of software would be challenging.

fedexpeon

Banned

Their preferences are based on F2P, and netcafe model.
People don't make that much over there, and these games allow them to spend a few coins here and there to enjoy the contents that these games offer them.
And of course, privacy on PC is easier.

We will see though if buying a console "legitimately" actually affects anything.
But if it does, the Playstation and Nintendo brand will reap the reward more than the XB. Those two brands are very well known, even to my grandma living oversea since PS/Nintendo stuff are always in their movie as reference/parody.

PS4 have better chance of success in China to be honest.

- Better MMO and F2P support and lineup
- Better localization
- PS+ free games
- Better Japanese game support
- Cheaper

All they need to do is setup local PSN frame work and they are good to go.
Also there is rumors about MS Sony and Nintendo will have booth on China Joy (China biggest game show) this year, I think no one is late to the party.

I agree but at I doubt China will do anything for the current gen consoles. The people who can afford them and want them can probably already get them anyways.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Apple now makes one eighth (12.5%) of its revenue from China, significantly above Japan, more than half of all of Europe, and around a third of what it makes in the US. And it's growing very quickly, and every single quarter they mention China in their investment calls or releases. And that's despite difficulties signing carriers to sell the iPhone.

China is also the major driver of Hollywood film revenue, as increasingly tentpole movies make their profit thanks to international BO for which China is one of the main growth areas and one of the biggest overall by size.

Every platform owner, if they have even basic sense, will be scrambling to get a foothold in China.

Top Bottom