• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official video: Xbox One coming to China.

elelunicy

You should visit China, you'll see how it really is.
I'm from China myself and I have relatives who live in some of the poorest provinces in China (and they make like $2500 a year). You'd be amazed at how much purchasing power people here have despite of the low income. Saying they can't afford something like Xbox One is absolutely laughable.

Man, I bet the Chinese govt. can not wait for people to buy a device they can hack into and listen to you with.....

Right. Because they can't already do that with phones (which people carry with them everywhere, mind you) or laptops with webcams. Nope, just Kinect.

Tsundere

Banned
I'm from China myself and I have relatives who live in some of the poorest provinces in China (and they make like $2500 a year). You'd be amazed at how much purchasing power people here have despite of the low income. Saying they can't afford something like Xbox One is absolutely laughable.

Well that couldn't have been the response he was expecting.

I don't care whether he is from there or not, I have relatives in China and Hong Kong as well, and I still laugh at those ridiculous numbers people have been screaming out. 600M people?! Laughable. The audience for consoles isn't everybody that has disposable income, the specific audience needs to have a television, an internet connection, and heck, even electricity.

Killer

Banned
Yusuf Mehdi reminds of

Gargamel_Comic_Book.jpg

Synth

I don't care whether he is from there or not, I have relatives in China and Hong Kong as well, and I still laugh at those ridiculous numbers people have been screaming out. 600M people?! Laughable. The audience for consoles isn't everybody that has disposable income, the specific audience needs to have a television, an internet connection, and heck, even electricity.

Whether he's right or wrong isn't very important though. "You should visit China" isn't an assumption you should have made.

Yusuf Mehdi reminds of

Gargamel_Comic_Book.jpg

Holy shit... I can totally see it.

Derpcrawler

Infrastructure was available since Xbox One launch, the incredibly high speeds in XBL were suspicious, especially because Xbox 360 was pretty slow in the early 2013 when I jumped to PS3, after Xbox One reveal, so don't know when this change happened exactly, but when I got my Xbox One on first week of December servers were already there.

I have 100Mbps+ fiber, yet i rarely see more than 20-30Mbps to outside world (non chinese sites/resouces), but Xbox One max out my connection. All the services work flawlessly, even those that are supposed to be "US only".

Here is my test on retail US unit, connected via Wi-Fi AC. I am in Shanghai (if that even matters).

ylErsmV.jpg

What makes you think that China has any more room? My experience is that the living spaces in Japan and China are mostly equivalent.

You serious brah? Average chinese family in Shanghai have bigger living rooms than you can see in Europe.

jem0208

I feel like China might be one of the few territories where MS has a bit of an advantage when it comes to consumer opinion of the Xbox.

China doesn't like Japan.

You do realize China has a personal savings rate of over 50%, as in people who make $3000 a year are able to live off just $1500 a year while saving the rest of income into a bank account, right? There are tons of people in China who barely make $5000 a year but are totally willing to spend $3000 on a Chanel bag. $500 for an Xbox One? That's nothing if they truly want it.

Alright, let's break this down.

First of all, 50% saving rate is correct.
However, family that are making $5000 USD a year ( 31297.50 Yuan/yr 2608 yuan/month) are those in the lower class. Those people are extremely unlikely to be spending their disposable income on a 4999 yuan video game console anytime soon (Assuming Guangzhou area rent of $1000-1500/month, extremely low food cost of 20RMBx30day = 600 RMB a month, 500 RMB utilities.) Even if you do know someone that makes 5000 USD a year and buy 3000 USD channel bags - that is an extreme anecdotal evidence that is outside of the norm.

Second, the Channel bag example is sort of weak in this case. The luxury good market in China is focused around the central theme of "showing off & competition." Clothing, wine, watches, smartphones, cars, motorcycles are the luxury items that are generally selling. Essential items that other people don't see, such as TV, basic home appliances (other than refrigerators), or even desktop PCs are not being upgraded per se. Not to mention gaming is still considered a very "niche" and "negative" hobby. In that sense, video game consoles are hardly a luxury item that people are dieing for.

Finally, the only way to settle this argument between you two is a 2000 word persuasive essay written in Chinese. Hand it in within in the next 12 hours and the person with the higher grade will win the argument.

What makes you think that China has any more room? My experience is that the living spaces in Japan and China are mostly equivalent.

With the exception of Hong Kong and really old urban housing, most Chinese in the "middle class" have way more living space than those in Japan or even Europe.

Please stop with this nonsense.

Chinese consumer will buy anything that matches their current trends, needs and fads. They may boycott Japanese products one day, but they'll have no problem going back to it once the dust have settled. The younger generation also don't care.

Nome

I feel like China might be one of the few territories where MS has a bit of an advantage when it comes to consumer opinion of the Xbox.

Try getting your news from somewhere other than Reddit comments by Americans :p

Grinchy

Banned
You serious? Especially with the higher price tag that Microsoft's coming up with?

Are you for real?

Really grappling on to anything floating by at the minute this lot.

I'm totally serious. I don't know how much you guys know about the videogame industry (I'm an expert). Microsoft is all but guaranteed to sell 100 million units in their first year after launching in China.

They will even save on shipping costs because all of those units will be made there anyway. That saves MS so much money that anything they lose in the US will be recovered. Not only will the Xbox One outsell the PS4 within the first year of being on the Chinese market, but MS will become the world's most profitable company immediately as a result.

Top Bottom