• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs has gone gold

dmr87

DZK.png

It’s official. Watch Dogs has gone gold, and is right on track for worldwide release on May 27, 2014.

A next-gen experience that reinvents the way gamers will interact with an interconnected open-world city, Watch Dogs arms players with the most powerful of modern weapons: a cell phone that grants unprecedented access to Chicago’s Central Operating System (ctOS). Aiden Pearce wields this weapon – along with his brawn, his guns and his high-tech gadgets – as a vigilante driven to seek out justice (or vengeance) against those who harmed his family.

First revealed at E3 2012, Watch Dogs has been in the works since 2009. Now that the game’s gone gold after an epic five-and-a-half-year development cycle, what’s that mean for the team? “It’s exciting to be gold,” says Creative Director Jonathan Morin. “But it’ll be more exciting when people are playing. For the fans it means that it’s true. It means there will be no such thing as another delay. But for us, it’s not done until they actually have it in their hands.”

Morin’s fan-centric response might be true for any game, but with Watch Dogs it’s especially important for the team to hand their creation to players and allow them to take control of this fully interactive city. That’s because Watch Dogs is all about player choice. “We tried to make a game that’s very scalable in the sense that it supports your play style,” says Lead Gameplay Designer Danny Belanger. “It supports what you want to do most of the time. And it also supports your motivation. Do you want to play a story? Do you want to drive? Do you want to shoot? Do you want to hack? Do you want to play with others? Do you want to play on a tablet? It allows players to do what they feel like, which I find really cool. There’s lots of things to explore, there’s lots of things to try. I think the greatest thing about Watch Dogs is doing what you think is fun.”

Morin agrees, comparing Watch Dogs to a musical instrument. “I invite players to play it the way they want,” he says. “To explore the different ways of playing. To not necessarily follow the instincts they know from other games. To find your own fun in it. That’s how Watch Dogs is meant to be played.”

Of course, the team still would like players to spend a lot of time with the game’s central innovation. “I hope they enjoy hacking,” Belanger laughs. After all, one of the game’s biggest development challenges was layering the hacking mechanic over all the other core gameplay elements – driving, shooting, stealth, combat – while making sure it’s both fun and useful at all times. From what we’ve played so far, the team has definitely succeeded.

As for Morin, he’s looking forward to seeing his game in a whole new light. “I’m going to have fun hearing what the players have to say and how they might surprise us,” he smiles. “I invite you to embrace the whole player creativity and impress us with it!”

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-gone-gold/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Way overdue. Thank fuck this is finally being released.

Tabasco

I'll wait for reviews before I decide to pick this up.

Sucks for the people that have been waiting for this game since the PS4's launch.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice, be interested to see how the game does afterward after such a long controversy and anticipation.

vypek

Sucks for the people that have been waiting for this game since the PS4's launch.

Same for me. I'll probably wait at least a week before picking this up. Hope the reviews for it are good.

LAA

Was excited about it last year. This year, I'm concerned how its turned out, so waiting for reviews on this one.

Congrats to the team at Ubi for finally getting this thing out the door. A lot of us that were on board initially but have stepped off the hype train will be watching reviews and impressions intently in the coming weeks, so here's hoping!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Waiting for the impression :)
I remember the first time watching the reveal during E3 2012. Mind was blown. Hopefully despite all the negativity surrounding the game in past couple of month, the game delivers. Kudos to the team and ubisoft. We might get a really good open world franchise.

Nibel

I assume the game was finished for some time now, but they had to delay it because it took a long time to create the credits

Can't wait to play this. I'm really excited about it. Admittedly not as much as I was two years ago when it came out of nowhere at E3 (blew my mind back then), but I'm still really excited to play it.

Does anyone have any good deals for a Steam redeemable copy?

GMG has it for $9 cash back, but I'm not sure if that's a Steam copy. :(

Raxus

Sad thing is before the delay I went from picking up at launch to waiting til the reviews and/or a price drop. With Mario Kart and several other games in my backlog my hype for this game died quickly in 5 months.

Blanquito

The random thought just crossed my mind, since it was mentioned in the OP... with all that Aiden's phone does, how often will you have to charge it?

TomShoe

Banned
I really want to try it, but I'll hold off. Ubi games always decrease pretty quickly in price. When it's $40 I'll jump in.

Oh. Gonna play on pc since I got a code when I bought an nvidia card.

at least if it sucks ill be able to complain about it on the internet.

Vic20

With all the hype and hate this game has received due to its delay and goofy PR, it will be nice to finally just play it and decide what I think of it.

zer0square

Neo Member
Why would somebody pre-order a game if he hasn't played it before? I mean its great to see people excited about the game but its just kind of stupid.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The random thought just crossed my mind, since it was mentioned in the OP... with all that Aiden's phone does, how often will you have to charge it?

Don't worry. We're given 5 recharges for free with the retail copy.

Recharge packs will be competitively priced!

Top Bottom