• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gang Related - cop drama from the writer of Fast and The Furious - Thursdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.
435f5cb4a7b7c4ec4a5ca6d48bbded01.jpg

About the show:

In the gritty new action-drama GANG RELATED, Detective RYAN LOPEZ (Ramon Rodriguez, “Battle Los Angeles,” “The Wire”) is a rising star in Los Angeles' elite Gang Task Force. What the world doesn't know is that long before Ryan became a cop, he pledged allegiance to a different band of brothers – a powerful Latino gang called Los Angelicos.

Series premiere May 22.

Cast:

99e9f5e2dd2c7906fe3125775682178e.jpg
17613092a21e3172ce81110e33fabf67.jpg
6c9386fc9bc95d2a9e6c751db18177ab.jpg
ac85e1facce9fc6730e17f9a9de8d696.jpg
96b07c3b87fdf9ca1f9141ce17971d83.jpg
ab81ccc560db04354036845abf91261a.jpg
9451f15ba154d2de92201557f9368d86.jpg
c2add0b75de07e5dda8c55039e3a9995.jpg

Trailers and promos:

Full Trailer
Sleep Walking promo
Every Hero Has a Dark Side promo
No Turning Back promo
Game Over promo

PILOT EPISODE AVAILABLE ON iTUNES RIGHT NOW.

Pilot for Gang Related is up on US iTunes. But it's not the usual "Free Preview", it comes with iTunes version of the first episode of 24:LAD. On this link the first episode's length is 1 hour 29 minutes. First 40-something minutes is first episode of 24:LAD, and then second 40-something minutes is Pilot of Gang Related.

Is this a new True Detective? No. Is this a new The Shield? No. Does it have potential to be fun action-packed and very pretty show? Yes.
I watched a pilot, and while there were some cliches in plot, cinematography was very pretty, cast seems good and show has potential. It was just a pilot.
I'll watch some more.

Also webm, just to show how pretty this show is http://a.pomf.se/pndoen.webm

And

54a2f22eeb852e8e24fae6ef4c5b6a89.png

WSJ review
The writing is sharp, the atmosphere thick with tension from, among other things, car and foot chases—hardly a minute passes without pursuers from the gang task force, GTF, smashing their way into some ominous warehouse or dark hallway, or sprinting over fences of impossible height. Everyone has seen all this before, of course, in countless police series. The difference here, keeping it all interesting, is the characters, the chasers and the chased, crisply defined as they go slithering down hallways prepared to kill.
Forbes review
What do we want out of summer programming? Do we want studies on the human condition? Metaphors for the state of the global economy? Explorations into what it means to be alive? No. What we want is excitement. What we want is drama. Want it want is fun, just like we do out of our summer blockbusters. Burn Notice, Rescue Me (which did walk the line of the previously mentioned), Warehouse 13, Flashpoint, these are the shows that thrive in the summer season. It’s no accident Fox premiered the return of Jack Bauer in May. In the summer, the mandates of viewers are crystal: be entertaining. The good news? Gang Related fits that bill. The bad news? You’d never know it from the pilot.
Once it finds its footing in episode three, Gang Related becomes a high octane drama that will satisfy many viewers desire for action and gunplay in a summer movie season filled with aliens, mutants, monsters and fighting robots. It’s not high-art, but it’s entertaining and exactly the kind of show broadcasts networks should be considering more of as they start rolling out more and more original series in the summer season.
Entertaiment Weekly review
Rosenbaum works to get the details right, such as the proper way to remove a syringe when a junkie stabs you with it, but the show is all neat research and solid performances in search of better writing and plotlines. Clunky dialogue, clichéd relationships, and an escapist action-flick aesthetic combine to subvert the ambition for gritty realism. It requires stronger vision and voice, as well as more distance; it can't decide whether to be likable or prickly. Either way: far from ''awesome.'' C+

Brakke

Banned
I laughed at "(Ramon Rodriguez, “Battle Los Angeles,” “The Wire”)". Didn't recognize him, lol that guy has like two lines in one or two episodes.

However, definitely interesting. Like the people involved. Will probably check it out, thanks for putting up the thread.

i popped Fast 5 on Netflix yesterday, what a boring ass movie. 80% of the movie is a dorky preparation for a heist, a boring prep that is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sojgat

Liked it quite a bit, but I wish they had gone with The Shield's handheld style of shooting for the look. Show seems like it's going to be action heavy, and the way the action was shot just looked bad. Like, NCIS: LA bad.

Deku Tree

Judging from the post count in this thread, I am guessing the show could get cancelled. I hate investing time in shows that just get cancelled quickly.

BigDug13

I think more and more of the successful serial dramas are on cable and doing them on broadcast TV is a crapshoot and uphill battle. Network TV has become the place for sitcoms and reality contests like AI, The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, etc. While channels like TNT, FX, USA, AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc are the spots to find quality serial dramas that have less fear of cancellation these days.

mreddie

I don't think I'll watch all 12 episodes, seems to long for me. I do like the concept but feels watered down, especailly after seeing Hannibal. Pilot was almost Shield like though.

RS4-

Was alright I suppose, I wonder how long he can keep his gang related stuff under wraps and how long Locke survives.

He probably finds out then dies before saying anything.

Mars477

Banned
This is not a very good show, although the second episode was a bit better than the poor pilot. Vee and Tae are really the only characters I'm all that invested in: while they're still pretty stereotypical like the others they also have good partner chemistry which elevates the show when they're on screen.

It helps that 1) Sung Kang, and 2) geez, Inbar Lavi is stacked.

chris121580

I enjoy it. The first 2 episodes have made for a fun couple of hours of television and I like the cast. It doesn't fill my void of Southland but I'm going to keep watching. The story line has pulled me in

JDSN

Banned
Please stop hiring RZA to act, dont do this people.

Edit: Oh shit, protagonist is Omar's third boyfriend Renaldo!

jackb2424

Banned
I have to say that this show caught me off guard. Its been really good so far. Some of the writting is hit and miss but that scene between Carlos and his dad in the bathroom in the latest episode was amazing. The actor playing Carlos is killing that role right now. Please dont get canceled.

Also they need to kill off Rza now, he almost ruined that episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom