• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAD (The Order) talks about putting story "at the top of the pyramid" above gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelchaar

RAD is starting to veer dangerously close to David Cage levels of "We really just want to make a movie instead of a game" in the interviews they've been giving lately.

From the CVG Hands-On interview: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

CVG said:
CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Doesn't sound like gameplay is their top priority. I love RAD, and I'm super excited for this game, and story is very important to me, but I want a game to be fun. It's crucial.

I'm fine with that. Game's a pretty standard cinematic third person shooter. I love those, they're my favourite types of games. Story being the focus helps it stand out.

Xater

Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

Oh dear god! Have some fucking respect for the medium you are actually working in! This already makes me think I will hate it.

The Llama

Something I've realized recently is that many of my favorite games all have amazing atmospheres. If they really hit the story on this, I could see myself loving it.

Zeliard

"Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it."

This is my favorite quote.

Shucks - *looks around* - this is a game studio, right? Well, I guess we gotta stuff that gameplay thing in there. Can't do anything about that.

nelchaar

Oh hey, that's my post! Wouldn't have imagined this would get its own thread! Thanks mods. I think the quote from the game director certainly deserves further discussion.

Why even bother to make games then? It feels like some of these devs really want to be movie makers and just settled on games as a second choice.

ohlawd

naw man I'm out. I already lost some interest after the reveal so with this tidbit of info yeah, peace out, RAD.

I'll wait until you guys go back to God of War.

TheCloser

Banned
From the CVG Hands-On interview: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

Doesn't sound like gameplay is their top priority. I love RAD, and I'm super excited for this game, and story is very important to me, but I want a game to be fun. It's crucial.

Yea, for games that are story focused, i agree with this 100%. It clearly doesn't make sense for other type of games but if your game revolves around the story then it should be at the top of the pyramid.

well, a good story can easily carry me through a mediocre game. The only problem I have with this is that whenever someone says things like this the story turns out lacklustre. TLoU actually IS the exception here. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and the game actually looks fun to me, despite what eurogamer says.

JJD

Putting story above gameplay? Really RAD?

I can't remember the last time I've played a bad game because it had a great story, but I play good games with bad stories all the time.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
come launch this game will reveal itself as a grand swiftian allegory for all the most rotten trends in sony's first party output.

setting is still neat, though.

Eusis

As long as the story is good and the game play supports it, this isn't a horrible approach.
It's fucking terrible though if the story undermines potentially great gameplay (I don't think The Order is going to offer anything particularly unique there though, or we'd probably have had that shoved into our faces instead) or when the story IS good but the gameplay actively hinders you from enjoying the story.

If they're this focused they better damn well include a stupid easy mode, perhaps take a cue from Platinum and have an auto-play mode where you just need to mash in a button. Games that want to focus on story over gameplay sure as fuck should have them when it's reasonably implementable, and for a linear shooter that should be the case. A good story with frustrating gameplay is probably the worst case scenario, at least a game with bad gameplay and bad story you can just disregard.

noooo.gif

fedexpeon

Banned
Oh dear god! Have some fucking respect for the medium you are actually working in! This already makes me think I will hate it.

I read that in a different tone.
"Gameplay...we are experts, shit comes nature to us."

I say the same thing at work too. I don't half-ass when I am doing anything, and these guys probably won't too.

Edit:
I'm confident it'll be worth the delay.

kwakpv.gif

zsnime.gif

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1a4n4k/the-order--1886-weapons-and-rooks-interview

Yeah, they know what they are doing.
Gameplay should be "Meh, easy stuff" as an after thought if you are good at your craft since it should be easy.

hawk2025

The base of the pyramid is more important than the top.

Somw of you guys are fundamentally misunderstanding the quote.

Xater

well, a good story can easily carry me through a mediocre game. The only problem I have with this is that whenever someone says things like this the story turns out lacklustre. TLoU actually IS the exception here. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and the game actually looks fun to me, despite what eurogamer says.

It never ever will for me. I have to play a game for hours. No matter what quality level the story is I can not play something I am not enjoying. If I want a good story I read a book or watch a film.

Jachaos

lol

I loved TLoU's gameplay. Still play multiplayer to this day. There's a way to have a great story and great visuals and great gameplay.

I don't understand why this is a problem, guys.

At this point, third person shooters, there's very little innovation you can do in the actual gameplay portion. It's all been standardized. You have to hit innovation and highs in areas other than gameplay because the gameplay is as refined as it will ever be.

These guys will nail the gameplay. The gameplay is not terribly hard. Pace it well, provide good-feeling weaponry, don't make it repetitive, etc.

Begaria

Oh hey, that's my post! Wouldn't have imagined this would get its own thread! Thanks mods. I think the quote from the game director certainly deserves further discussion.

*high fives nelchaar*

Look, there are a lot of games that I genuinely enjoy the story for. Being an avid reader (and loving my TV dramas), I place a heavy emphasis on story. However, a game still has to be fun at its core concept. It doesn't need to be innovative or mind blowing, just solid fun. Reading through The Order previews today and from back in February, it really does sound like The Order's early hands on stuff is just...average. High visual fidelity, good characters/story, will only carry you so far.

Just look at Spec Ops: The Line. An absolutely average game in all aspects in terms of mechanics - it has your third person shoot bangs with cover, some decent "shoot here and release sand there" stuff, and ok graphics. Everyone whom has played it knows it for its stellar story and pacing, but kind of scoff at the actual gameplay. It's talked about academically but I've never really seen anyone say, "Wow, boy that sure was a fun game to play!"

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
When you can look as tedious and boring in 2 minutes as they managed, it's clear nobody bothered to care about gameplay during development.

RiggyRob

That quote reads like something David Cage would say. If you feel like you have to 'get around' the gameplay, don't make a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom