• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAD (The Order) talks about putting story "at the top of the pyramid" above gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rurunaki

I interpreted that as "we're not reinventing the 3rd person shooting genre," but we're at least trying to attach a good story behind it. It just feels as though they are taking the TLoU route.

zeopower6

Taking that quote out of context really changes things, tbh. It makes more sense if you see the last line too.

I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

So the gameplay will be tailored to fit around the story they've created. -shrug- Is there really an issue with doing things that way?

Hopefully they discover the polygons=emotions proof that david cage has gifted us with.

Then their game will definitely be a sure hit.

erawsd

interest-rate-drop.jpg

...this explains a lot about those gameplay trailers.

To be fair to the guy, I think he means that the story comes first and the game is constructed around that to support it, rather than the game being built first and the story being written around it (heeeello, Uncharted 3!). This doesn't have to be a bad approach, but he phrased it pretty poorly.

Phades

This interview comes across as a guy trying to be a bee keeper, but not realizing he only has wasps.

I'm not entirely sure his suit is wasp proof either and will probably come back to sting him in the butt.

Story was at the top of the pyramid of The Last of Us. Story and the universe drove every gameplay decision. And that turned out just fine.

Thank you. Some common sense for GAF is good instead of blowing every comment out of proportion or finding illogical hidden agenda. Jeez GAF!

Man today looks like a hunting day for RAD lol

Xater

See, I never understood that line of thinking. It's not like they are aiming to make the gameplay horrible or anything. But it's a TPS, what do people actually expect? It's already one of the most boring genres unless you like simple boom bang boom. A good story could take a mediocre and slightly boring game (by design) and make it into a great one, so why the fuck not. Just because people here flip out over small interview snippets without actually thinking about it for one second does not mean that their approach isn't viable.

well I don't know maybe try to do something new with it? Insomniacs game already looks way more interesting from a gameplay perspective. There is still a lot of room to do interesting things but they go with the bullshit everything has to be cinematic approach. And it's not just this interview, these concerns came up before about this game.

WoolyNinja

GAF always looking at the worst possible way to translate what someone says. To me all that means is that obviously the gameplay will be there, they're a game studio after all. But as with most games recently, GAF needs to rip it apart until every thread about said game becomes a negative mess.

Just see the Watch Dog threads to see what I mean. By all accounts that game is at worst pretty good and yet a vocal group on GAF do nothing but say how bad it is. (without even playing it in most cases)

Slixshot

Banned
I can't remember the last time i played a story driven game with a bad story. No matter how good the gameplay is in a story driven game, i will not continue to play it if it has a bad story. Once again, people are failing to read and understand. This concept is not meant to be applied to all games but to games that are story driven. In a fighting game, we don't expect story to take precedence over the gameplay. In this context, this statement is perfectly acceptable.

I'm kinda the opposite.

If someone just posted that quote, I'd figure it'd be something David Cage would say. This kind of comment changes how I'll view the game going forward. Knowing that the most important thing about a video game, the gameplay, is being heavily sidelined is not an encouraging sign.

And on top of that, the story in Heavy Rain was bad. Couldn't get the gameplay or the story right on that one!

Maybe RAD will hit on one of those aspects? They got the graphics right at least!

Games are not good at telling stories. They are good at creating atmosphere, not stories.

It's as simple as this: it is easier to sell a game with smooth animation and flashy graphics than it is to sell a game based on how fun it is to play, and it's easier to make a good looking game than it is to make a fun game.

imtehman

Banned
I interpreted that as "we're not reinventing the 3rd person shooting genre," but we're at least trying to attach a good story behind it. It just feels as though they are taking the TLoU route.

more and more of these type of games been coming out from Sony's studios since Uncharted 2's success

"I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there"

Is everyone trying to make this sound worse than it is on purpose? This is nothing like David Cage. They said that the story started the project and the gameplay was secondary, it's about creative process, not about wanting to make a movie.

Laconic

Banned
He even goes on to say that it would be easier to write a story for gameplay that is already there, than to shoehorn gameplay into a cinematic experience. What else needs be said?

Jesus Christ people, these guys made Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta.

You are taking one misstated quote and turning it into "I told you it would suck!"

lol I'm still interested. Story-focused games tend to be my favourites. Just as long as the gamepley isn't atrocious. Which, from what we've seen, it's not.

Raist

Banned
Pretty sure they talked in terms of development process. And not "story is more important than gameplay" like some people would like to believe.

Hence this bit:
think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

KaiserBecks

We wanted to make movies, but nobody would let us. Now we're stuck with this stupid medium.

Yeah, no thanks. You wanna make something filmic, make a film.

aly

Wouldn't the base ( gameplay) be more important than the top (story)? Of so, then I don't see the problem.

I don't understand why this is a problem, guys.

At this point, third person shooters, there's very little innovation you can do in the actual gameplay portion. It's all been standardized. You have to hit innovation and highs in areas other than gameplay because the gameplay is as refined as it will ever be.

These guys will nail the gameplay. The gameplay is not terribly hard. Pace it well, provide good-feeling weaponry, don't make it repetitive, etc.

Why are you so confident that they will nail the gameplay? If making a good shooter was that easy, I'd be playing 10 of them a year instead of a bunch of "ok" titles that barely make me exited at all. I can count on one hand the TPSs that have been able to nail pacing, variety, and most importantly, gunplay all in the same title. Narrative is a whole other beast, and I don't think I'd need more than 3 fingers to name those. Making a shooter is not easy at all. I wish it were, because then I wouldn't have to complain about hit reactions, body physics, sound design, lack of recoil, movement mechanics, cover systems, bullet sponges, boring encounter design, excessive hand holding and interruptions, and pacing for nearly every shooter released.

Why are you so confident that they will nail the gameplay? If making a good shooter was that easy, I'd be playing 10 of them a year instead of a bunch of "ok" titles that barely make me exited at all. I can count on one hand the TPSs that have been able to nail pacing, variety, and most importantly, gunplay all in the same title. Narrative is a whole other beast, and I don't think I'd need more than 3 fingers to name those. Making a shooter is not easy at all. I wish it were, because then I wouldn't have to complain about hit reactions, body physics, sound design, lack of recoil, movement mechanics, cover systems, bullet sponges, boring encounter design, excessive hand holding and interruptions, and pacing for nearly every shooter released.

Because we're dealing with a competent dev that has consistently delivered on quality games? How is having faith in RaD some kind of mystery? They've earned it.

I'm quite surprised by the amount of negative responses. I thought The Last of Us was a GAF favorite circa 2013 because it was so focused on telling it's story.

Mifune

Mehmber
He's not saying that story is more important, but that it's driving everything…ala The Last of Us. It's astonishing how reductive people can be about everything.

nib95

Banned
Great gameplay is not uncommon to find and is expected in a top tier videogame, whereas finding an incredible, mature and well told story and characters in a video game is extremely rare. Outside of a very small handful of games, none have really nailed the latter. So I can appreciate where they're going with this, and why it's prioritised as much as it is.

breakfuss

I read that in a different tone.
"Gameplay...we are experts, shit comes nature to us."

I say the same thing at work too. I don't half-ass when I am doing anything, and these guys probably won't too.

Edit:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1a4n4k/the-order--1886-weapons-and-rooks-interview

Yeah, they know what they are doing.
Gameplay should be "Meh, easy stuff" as an after thought if you are good at your craft since it should be easy.

Exactly how I interpreted it as well.

Kayant

The base of the pyramid is more important than the top.

Somw of you guys are fundamentally misunderstanding the quote.

This. People should read the whole quote especially this part.

Originally Posted by Dana Jan
It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Lumyst

Ah, for this game I know they are honest about what they set out to do so if I am to consider it, I have to keep that in mind and evaluate it based on their intent. (To make a filmic experience.) For the past two generations the Sony game consoles had been used as a foothold for new media formats (DVD and BluRay) so perhaps some movie fans were attracted to the PlayStation platform and this could be a way to provide them with an experience they'll find attractive.

LordJim

I'm quite surprised by the amount of negative responses. I thought The Last of Us was a GAF favorite circa 2013 because it was so focused on story.

Nice story and even better characterization, but gameplay was just decent.

Shouldn't we aim a bit higher and have great gameplay along with the story?

If they can balance the gameplay like Ace Attorney and Walking Dead, then it would be fine. Many shooters sacrifice a decent story for solid mechanics. The last shooter I enjoyed for the story was the Metro reboot. I will buy it if the story turns out good, even if it has average gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom