• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenonauts |OT| More X-COM than XCOM

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
14384464681_1beb3a3bbc_o.jpg

Developer: Goldhawk Interactive
Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
Release Date: June 16, 2014
Available @: Steam, Direct from developer, GOG
Cost: $19.99 (US) at launch, $24.99 normally

What is Xenonauts?

Goldhawk Interactive said:
Xenonauts is a strategy game in which you control a multi-national military organisation defending a Cold War-era Earth from alien invasion, using small squads of persistent soldiers to eliminate the extraterrestrials and recover their technology in turn-based ground combat. A detailed strategic layer allows you to co-ordinate the defence of the planet, using your interceptors to shoot down UFOs and researching captured artefacts to learn about your foes and unlock new combat equipment to use on your missions.

Xenonauts is a spiritual successor to the classic X-Com strategy games from the 1990s. We aim to improve the graphics, add new content and streamline the interface whilst still retaining all of the key mechanics of the original games. Devoted fans should love this game, but we're also keen to introduce the joys of old-school grand strategy to a whole new generation of players who might not otherwise experience it!

Features
- Geoscape featuring the ability to build multiple bases and house multiple squads of soldiers.
- Expanded aerial combat minigame for interceptions, with the option for X-COM style auto resolves.
- Tactical combat on fully destructible maps.
- Action points!
- Base Invasions!
- Vehicles! (a variety of tank type stuff)
- All the other stuff that XCOM skipped that the OG X-COM had!

Media

Launch Trailer

Reviews

None yet

A PC exclusive indie strategy game released right in the middle of E3 mania, over under on this thread getting more then 10 posts?

14201344030_dd6e6789ed_o.gif

epmode

I bought this like thirty years ago. I'd play it more if it handled >1080p resolutions better.

Nice to see that it was finally released though! Someone needs to remind us that the reboot dropped a lot of awesome simulation elements. Great game, just a little too streamlined for my taste.

Been playing since their Desura releases, and having seen it reach 1.0 has been great. Sayeth the loading screen tip: upon a successful hit, damage dealt is between 50% and 150% its base value.

Ooooh them commander feelings.

I think it's great. Random map content and alien spawns. Scenario events. Crisp clean AI. Mod tools.

How fiddly is this game? One of the reasons I really enjoyed new XCOM is that it streamlined the strategy layer to only the important decisions. I'm not opposed to more complicated decisions, so long as they're more of the "how do I react to the enemy" and less of the "how do I Tetris my base".

Burt

Oh wow, been waiting for this for quite a while, didn't realize it was available. Any word on how the Early Access in terms of completion/missing features?

Sinatar

Oh wow, been waiting for this for quite a while, didn't realize it was available. Any word on how the Early Access in terms of completion/missing features?

It's basically done, it leaves early access on June 16th.

Great job Sinatar. I'm waiting for the formal release to play it.

Could you mention the vehicles in the OT? I think it's one of the most important features for the people that only have played the XCOM.

I prefer the fluidity of play of XCOM:EW w/ Long War, but this game is totally ace. It's more faithful to the source material than any other X-COM derivative, while not being completely beholden to the mistakes of that title.

I have this installed, technically its "released" but they said there's a bug patch coming on the 16th I believe that sounds pretty important. So I got it shelved until then.

Deadbeat

Banned
Ive been waiting on this since I played it like 2 years ago or something. Will probably pick up soon or steam summer sale of course.

Hopefully there is more depth than Enemy Unknown/Within have. And during battles I'd like to see the aliens starting from either random or fixed locations, then moving and reacting tactically to the player, instead of just having a set number of aliens spawn into existence and move to cover during the player phase.

I have this installed, technically its "released" but they said there's a bug patch coming on the 16th I believe that sounds pretty important. So I got it shelved until then.

Yes, I'm waiting for that bug fix release.

Do we have any news about user-generated content? It seems like it's pretty flexible about mods. This is from the web page:

"How moddable is Xenonauts?
Very moddable, at a basic level. Less so at a high level. Xenonauts has been designed so that pretty much every stat of every unit, item and research project in the game (as well as most global settings) can be changed usng only a text editor. You can also reskin any window in the game using a text editor. This means it’s ideal for any armchair game designers out there, as you can change and rebalance the game to your heart’s content. There are also powerful map generation tools available to the community, so creating your own maps is easy. However, deep changes to the gameplay aren’t really possible. You won’t be able to turn Xenonauts into a totally different game as you could with, say, the Source engine.

Sinatar

There is already a pretty extensive mod called XNT - Into Darkness. Adds a ton of stuff:

- 17x New weapons added to the game
- "The Slaves" available in the game (Sebillian Human Prisioners has been transformed in a horro beast called "Gargol")
- 1x New Aircraft!
- 2X New Alien weapons
- Armor color and animations
- 2x New Rank units added to REAPERS! (Exclusive in this edition - "Creepers Remake")
- Special Alien Class Analysis (Lore+ Mod Included)
- Weapons, Damage and Balance complete modification.
- Alien Races has changed completly
- Building Unkeep, Economy and Manufacture has been reviewed and fixed.
- New Paths of Research tree.
- KABILLS UFO HULL BREACH compatible version, you only need to extract maps and tiles of Kabills pack

I'm really interested to see what mod scene develops, hopefully genre aficionados will pick up on the already substantial amount in game and turn this into a carnival of fun. It seemed from reading their forums pre-release that a lot of great user material made it into the final build, so they are certainly willing.

Sinatar

I'm really interested to see what mod scene develops, hopefully genre aficionados will pick up on the already substantial amount in game and turn this into a carnival of fun. It seemed from reading their forums pre-release that a lot of great user material made it into the final build, so they are certainly willing.

I'd love to see Steam Workshop support but the devs are against it because they have non steamworks versions available. Unfortunate.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I bought this as soon as it hit the Steam Store but I didn't play it until recently. I haven't played the original XCOM but EU was my 2012 GOTY, Xenonauts is really promising so far

A new update was released yesterday. It's a difficult balance patch:

We had not been planning to make further balance changes to the game, but there was enough player feedback about the Easy / Normal difficulty settings being too hard that we decided to make an exception

Some bugs were fixed too.

dejan

Bought this yesterday from the Humble Store and I'm pretty excited to try this out later today. This looks like classic X-COM and I really, really like classic X-COM. Hm, maybe I should play this and OpenXcom simultaneously.

Farks!

The title kind of makes it sound like a jRPG, but this actully looks really interesting. Will definetly take a closer look.

Couple hours left before the price hikes up a bit on Steam.

I was going into spending lock-down till the Steam-sale, but i'm going to wager a guess that this isn't going on sale quite yet.

Xcom 2012 really disappointed me and just felt.... light somehow, so i'm hoping this feels more like what I was hoping for.

Sinatar

So is this a re-skin of X-COM or a new game thats just heavily influenced by it?

It's a new game, but it's *heavily* influenced by the original. Most of the changes they made to the formula were balance changes to fix stuff that didn't work so well in the original game.

Top Bottom