• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenonauts |OT| More X-COM than XCOM

The_Poet

Banned
Use the time to carefully prepare for the future. Don't forget to turn up the speed max (press 4) and then you will spend no time waiting for action.

I survived my first night mission and I'm doing steady progress with both research and manufacturing.

Yeah I figured as much, just thought there might have been something else to do early besides wait for an encounter.

Well, you should consider hiring more scientist, expanding your base, building a secondary base, go through the equipment of your soldiers, etc. The budget is limited and you won't be able to do everything at once.

The_Poet

Banned
Forgot about hiring, would speed things up.

Im really liking the ground combat, legit challenging.

Air combat scares me

One thing that is bugging me is that the aliens have perfect night vision. Kind of silly that 1979 tech wouldn't have actual nightvision for our soldiers and that they would exclusively rely on flares. I've never liked night missions in general, but especially so when the other team isn't subject to the same disadvantages.

Also not sure how I feel about aliens not needing line of sight for psychic powers. It was, in my opinion, a terrible mechanic in the original.

The_Poet

Banned
Night missions as a rule are generally bad in any game.

And yeah, customising soldier sprite apprentice would make it a lot easier for me to care about them

Remmy2112

One thing that is bugging me is that the aliens have perfect night vision. Kind of silly that 1979 tech wouldn't have actual nightvision for our soldiers and that they would exclusively rely on flares. I've never liked night missions in general, but especially so when the other team isn't subject to the same disadvantages.

Also not sure how I feel about aliens not needing line of sight for psychic powers. It was, in my opinion, a terrible mechanic in the original.

Different aliens have different levels of vision. I believe Caesans have superior to Human vision but the lizard Sebillians actually have worse vision than humans.

Edit: Forgot to mention the caveat about Sebillians. They have infrared vision so I suppose they have slightly better vision during night missions. Smoke also does not do much to provide your units with concealment against them.

Raptomex

So how good is this? Within the past year I've been trying to get into more single player strategy games. The only turn-based game I ever liked as a kid was Pokemon but recently I fell in love with the new XCOM and I suck at it. Though, I'm willing to learn if it's fun.

I'm really liking it but I've played the X-Com series and its spin-offs for 20 years. It's less approachable than the 2012 remake. Also, the original game is €2.49 on Steam right now and you might want to play that one instead.

My first terror mission went great. Bringing a tank with a pulse laser cannon was a smart idea.

So how good is this? Within the past year I've been trying to get into more single player strategy games. The only turn-based game I ever liked as a kid was Pokemon but recently I fell in love with the new XCOM and I suck at it. Though, I'm willing to learn if it's fun.

Pretty good, but tough. I recommend keeping 2-3 "tactical save" slots during a combat mission. Save scumming is tradition in XCOM.

Veteran is impossible. Had 3 bases by the end of the second month, never used airstrike, still lost 2 regions by month 4 and gameover in month 5

Aramiyo

Banned
Paid for this some time back, must've been after I tried it at Eurogamer Expo 2011.

Good to see some classic XCOM style action again. The newest one is good but it's just not the same.

I'm getting close to the end. I have one or two more things to research. The last tier of alien leaders can be found
in one of those massive battleships. It took me maybe ~150 UFOs to find one. The decoder facility isn't really that useful since it doesn't tell you about all alien species on the ship. On normal difficulty you should have plenty of money and then you can skip all the smaller missions.

cA4nmwS.jpg

Completed it on normal in June 1980. The last six months I barely did any missions. Overall it's a good game although I prefer the original.

mbpm1

Came into this from Enemy Unknown, and man, I have no idea how to do combat in this game. Aliens seem to have way better sight range and keep killing my dudes.

Random maps yet?
Nope. There are only a handful of different maps for each terrain type and memorizing the layout is easy.

Came into this from Enemy Unknown, and man, I have no idea how to do combat in this game. Aliens seem to have way better sight range and keep killing my dudes.
• Avoid night mission. In most cases you can wait for dawn.
• Don't expose your soldiers when ending your turn. Stay behind cover if you don't know what's out there.
• Gang up on the aliens. When you are four against one you can overcome that terrible aim of your recruit soldiers.

Ending your turn in cover often doesn't work anyway, since the LoS system is somewhat counterinutitive when dealing with corners, windows and such. And enemies can rush out from doors and instakill your dudes. The melee one especially are just terrible.

Lingitiz

Just found out about this from the Giant Bomb quick look. Definitely giving this a shot when I get some time. I wish it looked a bit better visually, but the core seems to be there.

I've been waiting for this since the mid-90s.

I think I even threw in $10 to the Kickstarter.

Well, I just downloaded it, and... well... the fonts are very small on my HD TV. I can read them, but I have to squint (couch 8 feet away, 46" 1080p TV). I have to say it's very irritating.

I can probably defeat it by moving the couch closer, but I am sad.

Just started playing it a few days ago. It's okay. Significantly more... granular than XCOM: EU/W, which is nice, but I can't say I'm fond of the visuals or the lack of customization options. Also, facing and cover is incredibly finicky; the latter in particular seems to be nigh-useless, since it seems to only work on incredibly specific angles.

Interceptor minigame is an odd beast, the default AI is a lot better at it than I am, since I cannot for the life of me get Sidewinder missiles to hit with anything like consistency :p Think I'd prefer a Steambirds-esque simultaneous turns setup to RTwP.

All told, I like how much stuff to do there is in the game, and the strategic layer is certainly more interesting than XCOM's (Firaxis, take note!), but the combat seems irritatingly easy to mess up, and as I said before, the visuals are very meh.

Oh nice, I didn't know Workshop was coming. Game has a pretty active mod community, so that's awesome.
No definitive date but I'm assuming some time after the holidays. There hasn't been any build updates through Steam but they're probably doing those quietly as opposed to others like Rise of Nations where you'll see off-and-on progress in the open.

pahamrick

Anyone else excited for Workshop integration? I plan on jumping back in to see what's added, I love me some mods.

Awesome to hear. I managed to snag this for 3 TF2 keys, but haven't really gotten into it yet. Love me some XCOM, so hearing Xenonauts is getting Workshop support is great.

Got a good Normal-Ironman game going in this now. A lot of little frustrations, but there are also plenty of little ways it is superior to the Firaxis XCOM. I wish I could take the things I love from both and combine them.

Got a good Normal-Ironman game going in this now. A lot of little frustrations, but there are also plenty of little ways it is superior to the Firaxis XCOM. I wish I could take the things I love from both and combine them.
Have you thought about trying the Community Patch version? Or the current experimental build which includes most of its changes? I've found certain additions nearly game changing- 140 new maps and a gui indicator for how your soldier will stand face at the end of its move.

Switching to Community Edition really made me appreciate the game.

I'm on the most recent Xenonauts [experimental] (1.5?), whatever that is. I haven't touched any community mods.

Edit: Oh wow, I just checked what the Community Edition does, and most if not all of it is in the version I'm playing. I can't imagine what the game was like without these things.

AlexVu

Neo Member
Already spent 250+ hours on this game. Now that version 1.5 is officially released on all platforms, it's time to sink another 50 hours or so into it ...

And yes, Lore+ is definitely a must-have mod. I always enjoy reading the Xenopedia and any related piece of information regarding the lore and setting.

OK, the current sale is almost pushing me to buy this game; but if I buy it on steam which version do I get? Does the game's final build have the enhancements added yet (140 new maps, etc.)? If not, I'll wait some more until the next Steam Sale or something..

Sounds interesting. I did enjoy Xenonauts a lot. I haven't tried the community version patch yet though.
I took a break to see them release their final version and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed. Enough new maps and tile sets to have a playthrough with no repeats, touched up graphics and interface UI stuff, some tweaked balance changes with full changelog, more art, more lore, and an incendiary grenade?

Going to go through a new iron man or two and try to finally successfully beat it.... Xcom games and their ilk always stomp me into the ground mid-to-late game, I don't think my base management is as good as it once was. Am I turning casul?

bati

Apologies for thread necro.

Has anyone tried the X-Division mod for Xenonauts? It sounds great on paper but I'm a little worried about potential balance issues.

Top Bottom