• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker [Wii U] is real, folks.

Dartastic

Yep. Just shown. Looks like you can choose between the original 8-bit Mario and the Wii-U NSMB styles. Nice.

Edit - Here's some screens n stuff.
exmeey.gif

uKTGsFh.png

x5LRazX.png

ZN3KXVe.png

zoDcpsI.png

bJboQ6H.png

uvnj3HG.png

O4iTUiE.png

DJ_Lae

Nice.

Took them long enough, though. The creation tools of something like Little Big Planet with Mario's platforming seems a no-brainer.

Nose Master

Anyone else notice the fly swatter from Mario Paint in there for a second? Man I hope that means there's a new fly swatter minigame.

DarkCloud

I'm hoping it's not just limited to mario 1. This would be the ultimate mario game if it gave us access to mario 1-mario worlds sprite set/items and enemies.

Aretak

Seems strange that they wouldn't be able to get something as simple as this out in the remaining six months of this year to be honest.

Only 30 years too late. :D

Seriously this is a feature I would have loved as a kid. Now... eh, not so much. I'm sure we'll see lots of crazy fan-made levels and stuff but I can't bring myself to care.

It's funny because we were talking about this just a few months ago:

Nintendo could have easily added a level editor to the 2D Mario games since the NES era, but they didn't. In the modern age of NSMB, you'd think a level editor with sharing system would have been included.

Instead, I get the impression that Nintendo wants a clear separation between themselves (the content creators) and consumers. I suppose the thinking is that if anyone can design a Mario level, suddenly it becomes less "magical".

Currently there is a Wii U bundle that includes Skylanders. I have no idea why Minecraft hasn't been ported to the Wii U, you'd think with the gamepad there could be some very useful features.

Looks like they proved me wrong.

jonezer4

Yep. Just shown. Looks like you can choose between the original 8-bit Mario and the Wii-U NSMB styles. Nice.

Wonder how they'll handle the disparity in physics between the two games. I imagine for practical reasons they'll have to lock it down to one game or the other (e.g. certain maneuvers and jumps with NSMBU physics are probably impossible with those of SMB)., I'm assuming they'll lock everything into the NSMBU physics. But then again, it'd be strange to play SMB1 with the newer physics as well. Interested how they'll handle it.

elty

I don't like the new art direction. They should make the SMW (SNES) art available.

Also, I wonder will it use the new physics?

Ferrio

Banned
I am sorry but this is an industry changer if done right.

Quite a hyperbole, and I don't see it. User created content for games has been around for a long time, I don't suddenly see this game causing huge splashes. Not like user created mario levels are a new thing either.

Brashnir

So this is the inevitable snake-eating-its-tail conclusion of the "world 1-1 rule" when games include level editing/design tools.

LaserHawk

I was less interested when I thought it was only going to look like SMB1, with its slightly stiff controls. The fact that you can make it look (and hopefully play) modern has me really interested.

Top Bottom