• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker [Wii U] is real, folks.

daydream

Banned
Showing a NSMB palette with what looked like the corresponding physics makes it seem like they got the right idea with this. Cool!

jonezer4

Quite a hyperbole, and I don't see it. User created content for games has been around for a long time, I don't suddenly see this game causing huge splashes. Not like user created mario levels are a new thing either.

You can't deny that this is probably the most enticing and innovative use of the gamepad to date. Level editing in games with a traditional controller has always been clunky and cumbersome at best. So while I don't necessarily think it's an "industry changer", it's definitely a significant progression far beyond level editing that's been implemented on a console prior this.

The fact that it happens to be using the most iconic platforming game ever doesn't hurt either.

I would reckon this is 100% real that is also why they want a youtube affiliate program because then you can directly share a made level on youtube and download it with a link to the game back to have that level yourself.

If they implement it that way makes perfect sense!
myh90z8.png

:p:p:p

Anyway looks great to bad it does not have a more SNES art style :(

Dany

Banned
They should have used the Mario 3d World Art instead of NEW SMBU2. Not a fan of the art direction. So empty compared to Mario 3D world.

Dorygrant

I love how it looks like you can switch between old and new pretty easily!

If it was just smb1 I woulda got it on sale.

Now it is a lot more interesting!

Ferrio

Banned
You can't deny that this is probably the most enticing and innovative use of the gamepad to date. Level editing in games with a traditional controller has always been clunky and cumbersome at best. So while I don't necessarily think it's an "industry changer", it's definitely a significant progression far beyond level editing that's been implemented on a console prior this.

The fact that it happens to be using the most iconic platforming game ever doesn't hurt either.

It should of been packed in with the release of the system, i feel the ship has sailed on this opportunity.

Sianos

It's also worth noting that the cardboard cutouts featured a hand using a 3DS stylus, so the game is also probably coming to the 3DS in some form.

doofy102

What was up with that skinny mushroom/skinny large mario? Customizability like that is what will give this game real legs.

jonezer4

It should of been packed in with the release of the system, i feel the ship has sailed on this opportunity.

Probably a good point. Nintendo Land offered a brief, superficial glimpse at ways the gamepad could refashion gaming, and then nothing from Nintendo since has scratched the surface.

The fact that the system will be in its third year before the first truly compelling reason to use the gamepad is lamentable.

GYNGA

It took them long enough. Nintendo fans have been asking for LittleBigPlanet equivalent for quite some time now

DedValve

Banned
Only SMB and NSMB styles? That would suck. I want Super Mario World, hopefully its there.

Super mario world sprites would make this the goat.

I can actually see them making DLC for different looks, the SPW sprites, maybe "yarn mario", etc. etc. It would be a brilliant idea and a great way to extend the longevity of the game.

I wonder if NSMB sprites will also have abilities such as wall jumping?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This has the potential to be something truly amazing! Loving everything Nintendo has been showing lately. Rumors of their demise may have been slightly exaggerated lol

Nintendo has the potential to make an absolutely incredible game here, but they need to go all in. I, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone, wouldn't be satisfied with just the SMB and the NSMB tilesets. They need to include Mario World as well, at a minimum.

SMB is great, it has perfect physics but graphically it's old. There aren't too many enemies either.

NSMB is bland, the physics are good but the world itself feels dull and lifeless.

SMW is the perfect blend of the two, great physics, style holds up, tons of great enemies, good powerups, fantastic music etc etc.

megalowho

If the sharing/online interface part of the game is well designed and the toolset is expansive enough this could be the start of something great. Don't mind that it took them a while to get here, so long as they get it right.

Nessus

Like others I really, really hope they include Mario 2/Mario 3/Mario World assets.

The IDEAL would be if it came with all of the Mario Advance 4 e-Reader levels, which would be entirely reproducible in-editor.

Oh man, imagine if the game included every classic Mario power up!

spookyfish

Like others I really, really hope they include Mario 2/Mario 3/Mario World assets.

The IDEAL would be if it came with all of the Mario Advance 4 e-Reader levels, which would be entirely reproducible in-editor.

Oh man, imagine if the game included every classic Mario power up!

Gotta save something for Mario Maker 2.

Galang

Banned
Pleasantly surprised they included the NSMB style. Not fond of the style, but I prefer it over the original. Had they included World's style, however then that would have been the best.

JP

They really need more texture sets than Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. U to be honest. For me they're probably the two ugliest Super Mario games.

It would be neat if the players could switch between styles and move sets to get through a level. Like if there's a huge chasm, 8-bit Mario could make the jump but NSMB Mario couldn't. So you just flip from NSMB to SMB and make the jump. It would be even more interesting if they added other games and their unique properties into the mix too.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yes, this I'll buy on day one. I assume that it's more limited than Lunar Magic, for technical reasons, but still seems quite expansive.

Top Bottom