• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld New n Tasty coming to XB1 - parity clause softened?

Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has confirmed to Eurogamer that New 'n' Tasty is coming to Xbox One later this year.

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, he confirmed that once the PlayStation versions of New 'n' Tasty are done, Oddworld Inhabitants will focus on the Steam version, then the Xbox One and Wii U versions.

"We've had some talks and I think we're past it. We're past it in a positive way. As soon as we get our obligations on the PS platforms out, our intention is to get rolling on the Xbox platform and really treat it with the same level of care," he said. "We don't have a release date, but we know it'll be before the end of the year."

Does this mean Microsoft has changed its parity clause? "I'm still expecting them to, but I'm not sure how soft or hard they are on it right now, but I know for us they wanted the title on the platform. They were very nice about it. They were very convenient in getting us dev stations," he said. "But the fact is, we were strapped for time and resources, so the parity clause was a challenge. I don't know where it stands officially with Xbox at the moment, but but we've worked it out."

He also noted that since the game is on Unity, it's a little difficult to port to Xbox One and Wii U, but he said that both console manufacturers were understanding about this and helping out. Beyond that, he couldn't say if it would come to Xbox One or Wii U first as it depended on resources and which would be easiest to optimize.

Eurogamer

The softened bit is Eurogamers subtitle btw

see5harp

He doesn't know. They were reviewing stuff on a per-case basis, so it's possible that the process for reviewing and approving that stuff is just more efficient now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Eh...
If MS is keeping the policy but just making an exception for this game because they think they need it then they don't deserve it on their platform.
Good for JAW, though.

nynt9

Eh...
If MS is keeping the policy but just making an exception for this game because they think they need it then they don't deserve it on their platform.
Good for JAW, though.

Parity clause with distinction between Tier 1 and 2 games confirmed

The fact that they need to make exceptions to their policy to bring good games to their platform just shows how backwards their policy is to begin with.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is great news for X1 owners - smaller titles need as much exposure as possible and it does no one (other can console warriors) for them to only show up on PS4.

Hope MS backs away completely from this ridiculous stance.

Softened isn't good enough.

JAW should have held out and refused to release it until MS dropped the clause.

BS that developers are just bending over for this.

Withnail

He also noted that since the game is on Unity, it's a little difficult to port to Xbox One and Wii U, but he said that both console manufacturers were understanding about this and helping out.

Huh? I thought that was the whole point of Unity.

Kssio_Aug

They should drop it! Indie scene is making good for Sony presentations, would be smart for MS to get their piece of cake too! I dont know, I hope they drop it, and I think they will end up doing it.

Withnail

The parity clause was never going to work with the bigger indies or those with particularly strong IP. Trying to enforce it in those cases would just be self-defeating. No, it mostly exists as a stick for controlling the little guys.

so it's there just to make studios think twice when starting development? it seems like any game that gets praise is exempt from the clause.

$100 says No Man's Sky will get the same treatment

Eusis

Hopefully they have enough sense to at least make exceptions for either highly visible games (because you're just being petty if a successful game is barred) or if they put in some extras, even if they're relatively minor like costumes, visual skins, or bonus stages. Basically "Look, you can't just give us the EXACT same game months after PS4/Wii U unless there's something extra for those on our system that had to wait."

And factor out PC entirely because god damn. Late ports from PC were once the standard and still tend to be the case for games not console focused.

jbug617

Banned
The parity clause probably doesn't apply to all indies. I think if you talk to them they would make an exception.

jem0208

Eh...
Good for JAW, though.

Get out of here with this bullshit!

Anyway. Fucking awesome, been looking at this game and secretly port begging for ages. First game I ever remember playing was the original on PS1. Didn't really understand what I was doing though considering I was like 4.

They are not a big enough developer to lose potential sales on moral grounds. I'm thinking they're just happy to release games without a publisher on MS consoles.

MS makes exceptions for certain games, which is ridiculous. Essentially it says, if your game is too small then we demand you expend extra resources to make it on X1 at the same time, or don't both releasing with us. But if you're a big game, they let you in with open arms.

That's not how it should work, they should have a policy like Sony's, publish with us whenever you're ready, end of story.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does Unity really have issues porting to XB1 and Wii U? That's surprising.

drproton

That console warrior attitude lol

He could have said it in a different way, but I don't understand how anyone can think the parity clause is good for anyone but Microsoft. It's a pain for devs and consumers and only serves to muscle smaller devs onto their platform.

PBY

Banned
so it's there just to make studios think twice when starting development? it seems like any game that gets praise is exempt from the clause.

$100 says No Man's Sky will get the same treatment

Pretty sure its already coming to XB1 at a later date based on the language at sony's conference.

RE_Player

They should drop the clause entirely instead of this hand picked bullshit. If I was a dev I would be insulted to see certain games be the exception while others are the rule.

Games on ID@Xbox have to come out at the same time (or earlier) on XB1 than other platforms, they can't be later. But there are exceptions... which is a grey area.

Oooh kind of like the 720p rule in Xbox 360, that eventually less and less people started to use it.

Doesn't the parity clause only come into effect if a game had already been released. Oddworld New n Tasty is not out until July on PS4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It seems to me that it's just coming later because they will have time to work on it.

Usually that means delaying the other versions if you want to stay on Xbox, which is especially bad for studios who need cash ASAP. Like Octodad came out on PC before PS4 because the devs were almost broke and needed money to eat.

Agreed. I'd understand if the Xbone were in a strong position, as the developers wouldn't really have a choice (they do need to support themselves after all) but with a small install base and Microsoft still under pressure, it's the best opportunity to try and push a reversal.

If the major indie devs are just going to cave because they're given exceptions, the little indies are going to continue to be fucked over.

Top Bottom