• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

MRORANGE

ifR5867Xb6NV4.jpg

This thread is to discuss the latest news with 21:9 monitors, support for games and buying options.

Why would I opt for a 21:9 monitor?

There are several benefits of 21:9 over 16:9/16:10/4:3, the most obvious is the screen real estate, being double the resolution of one 4:3
at 1280x1024 gives you a great cinematic experience that is very engrossing, especially for games such as FPS, TPS and racers
where the wider resolution can help with the FOV. A lot of games can support it through configs and most recent games have adopted
the new format.

The best place to get help with 21:9 gaming: http://www.wsgf.org/
You can also try: http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

Play games in 21:9 right now
Most PC games have config files, which allow you to set custom resolutions, if you want tot try it out on your 1920x1080 you can set
the resolution at 1920x810. Source games are quite easy to make these changes, other games may vary. Or if you have a Nvidia card
use the desktop resize option, there should be a same utility for AMD cards. Use the links above for more details on support.

Overall the benefits of 21:9:

• Great for gaming, TPS, FPS and racing games are amazing at this aspect ratio
  • Best cinematic experience you can get
  • Gets rid of bezels for dual/tri monitor set-ups
  • Support for latest games is getting a lot better
  • Prices are getting somewhat cheaper
Here is an example of the benefit of 21:9 compared to 16:9 and 4;3

n2ZLcb.gif

So who shouldn't get a 21:9 monitor?

- People who play console games only
- People who hate black bars for games stuck in 16:9 mode

Current King of 21:9 Monitors:

LG 34" 3440x1440 (LG-34UM95) Linus Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

AOC and DELL are making 34" 3440x1440 versions, these are not out yet, cheaper 29" models can be found - but are at 2560x1080

Nethaniah

Too much choice in how you want to experience your games these days, i love it.

I was looking at this around the time i got my triple monitor setup, still don't know if i made the right choice.

I've thought about 21:9, but it would be too taxing for my gpu at 1440p

edit: also 4k is cheaper, and I get the feeling that oculus is going to take away the advantage of monitors like this for gaming,

elektrixx

Banned
21:9 should've come before 2160p TV's. Now we'll have to wait two generations to hit 4K native resolutions when 21:9 could've been the thing this gen.

Dr Dogg

I wondered how long it was going to take you to get a 21:9 OT going ;)

Those LGs have been back in stock in the UK last week and are already selling like hot cakes.

Of course pics look nice but videos really sell the aspect ratio (excuse my awful DS skills but no hud makes the game a teeny bit harder)
Dark Souls 21:9
Dead Space Intro 21:9

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If only I wasn't poor. I am planning to build a new rig next spring so I need to start re-educating my self on all things PC gaming since I'm starting from complete scratch, new rig, new monitors and new sound system.

I'll personally take a larger 16:9 monitor to a longer one... I can't stand "tracking" from side to side, and because of how FOV works, tracking to the side leads to a stretched out image, but staring forward and just seeing blurs to the side don't help me much in gaming either.

The ridiculously high FoV you need on a monitor like that just doesn't do anything for me.

Is there a pretty good and proven way to render games at 21:9 on a 16:9 display?

Also shouldn't it be called a 7:3?

Also I want that monitor.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd love one of these, but I'm not sure about desk real estate. It would work wonders though, in terms of games, films and editing. Don't really mind black bars, but I do like to watch a lot of old 4:3 content which would be tough to see, but I have a lovely 24 inch 16:10 screen for that.

Is there a pretty good and proven way to render games at 21:9 on a 16:9 display?

21:9 is a shorthand, meant to give it a sense of size in relation to 16:9. The true ratio is 64:27.

Also I want that monitor.

If you have an nvidia card use the desktop resize option down to 1920x800 and the games will pick it up.

Iirc you have to be using a 21:9 desktop aspect ratio when loading a game or the games will often hang when selecting it.

Mononoke

Banned
I have the 2560x1080p Dell. Got it for $350 during the holidays (was on sale). Man that LG has me so jealous. If only it was in the $700 range. :/

Nzyme32

What a great idea for a thread. I really like the sound of digging into 21:9 after seeing a few videos and reading some articles, but ultimately pricing is an issue and compatibility to an extent. However I am always partial to maintaining aspect ratio, and black bars are no problem for me when using a monitor.

The Linus review in the OP was what first caught my attention to 21:9 for monitors. The idea that it could be more immersive that 4k is something that grabbed my attention

Tempted to grab one of the LG 34UM95s when it comes back in stock on newegg(still no tax!) but no gsync and that is the most important thing for me at the moment. Crazy how much cool monitor tech there is out of the blue.

Dr Dogg

What a great idea for a thread. I really like the sound of digging into 21:9 after seeing a few videos and reading some articles, but ultimately pricing is an issue and compatibility to an extent. However I am always partial to maintaining aspect ratio, and black bars are no problem for me when using a monitor.

The Linus review in the OP was what first caught my attention to 21:9 for monitors. The idea that it could be more immersive that 4k is something that grabbed my attention

You got an Nvidia card? Unless you got a really fussy monitor you could dip your toes in now. Just set up a custom resolution within Nvidia Control panel, say 1920x810 which will do and games that detect it, like Dead Space will render at that res and aspect ratio even on a 16:9 display. Looks ace and seeing as we have been viewing 2.35:1 films letter boxed like this for yonks it's like second nature. The added FOV really ads to the immersion on third person titles.

Nzyme32

You got an Nvidia card? Unless you got a really fussy monitor you could dip your toes in now. Just set up a custom resolution within Nvidia Control panel, say 1920x810 which will do and games that detect it, like Dead Space will render at that res and aspect ratio even on a 16:9 display. Looks ace and seeing as we have been viewing 2.35:1 films letter boxed like this for yonks it's like second nature. The added FOV really ads to the immersion on third person titles.

I hadn't even considered that. Will definitely give it a go. Thanks!

Human_me

I have a LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)

I love it, do not regret it all.

21:9 gaming is glorious!

Any issues anyone has with 21:9 should check out Flawless Widescreen It will fix any video game issues you may have and it is updated regularly.

Sophia

So I decided to try this with a few games. All I have to say is.... wow. The field of view is incredible

If I ever purchase a new monitor, this just sold me on a 21:9 one right here.

Dr Dogg

So I decided to try this with a few games. All I have to say is.... wow. The field of view is incredible

If I ever purchase a new monitor, this just sold me on a 21:9 one right here.

Be warned it becomes very addicting and you'll probably go through your entire library. I found that I wasn't really limited by my hardware (ie all the Nvidia GPUs and monitors or TVs I tried it with were fine) but the titles themselves. Some are a bit fussy, others crop or stretch the image while quite a few older UE3 game need FOV adjustments. Thankfully WSGF (which MRORANGE has linked in the OP) has various fixes and there's a program called Widescreen Fixer as well as Flawless Widescreen that help getting things to render correctly if config tweaks alone won't work.

Sophia

Be warned it becomes very addicting and you'll probably go through your entire library. I found that I wasn't really limited by my hardware (ie all the Nvidia GPUs and monitors or TVs I tried it with were fine) but the titles themselves. Some are a bit fussy, others crop or stretch the image while quite a few older UE3 game need FOV adjustments. Thankfully WSGF (which MRORANGE has linked in the OP) has various fixes and there's a program called Widescreen Fixer as well as Flawless Widescreen that help getting things to render correctly if config tweaks alone won't work.

It actually helps a lot in Phantasy Star Online 2, seeing as you've gota bigger view of the playing field than standard 16:9. Pretty awesome. And yeah, I definitely see what you mean about it being addicting. Already trying out different games. >_>;

desu

Current King of 21:9 Monitors:

LG 34" 3440x1440 (LG-34UM95) Linus Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

AOC and DELL are making 34" 3440x1440 versions, these are not out yet, cheaper 29" models can be found - but are at 2560x1080

Damn that thing is beautiful. I was highly interested in getting a 21:9 screen a year ago. But for me the 29" screens were way too small, so I went with a good Dell 27" in the end. However I could see myself getting that 34", looks really neat! Hope I can find a store in the future to check it out myself.

Monooboe

AGH! I need that LG 34" monitor. Gaming would be awesome and working on it would be so sweet. Editing in Photoshop for example would mean that the UI is nicely on the sides while there is lots of realestate for the photo.

Calmine

When I used to work for LG and they launched the first set of 21:9 monitors I didn't think it would kick off. Now that I've seen them in person and gaming I really want one.

The 4K one is too pricey for me and 2560x1080 would be a downgrade in my opinion since I have a 27" 1440 display already. Hopefully they'll get cheaper!

Mohasus

I really wanted one, but then I remembered that my main uses, Wacom tablet and Dota 2, wouldn't work well with it. :(

kudoboi

The first post got me interested in this until I searched it up on amazon

Tlx30ib.png

.... yeah i am probably not gonna get onto this train for awhile.

Ceebs

I am strongly considering one of these when I do my big upgrade late this year. Currently using a 27" 2560X1440. Did not think about using the control panel to make a custom res to try this out first though.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I just got my LG 34um95 from newegg 2 days ago. They got them back in stock for 1 day before they sold out again. I went back and forth between this and a 3 monitor setup mainly for racing games. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision for that particular genre(although Assetto Corsa looks fantastic on this) but this thing is a seriously awesome monitor for everything else. I'm going back and replaying games like Skyrim, Witcher 2 and Battlefield 4 in 21:9 and they just look fantastic. I really don't get the allure of 4k 16:9(although I have to admit I haven't seen one in person). 21:9 just looks so much better to me and the 3440x1440 res is easier to run and still looks amazing compared to the 27 inch 1080p I was using.

Kudoboi, that price is from a 3rd party vendor who is price gouging because the monitor is in short supply right now. Amazon sells it for $999 when they have it in stock, and B&H had it for $899 last time I checked. Still not cheap, but better than that ridiculous $1400 price.

GHG

Gold Member
I've decided my next TV for the living room needs to be this aspect ratio. Screw 4k for now. The horsepower to render games at that resolution is just a bit too much for me to justify right now and 21:9 would feel like a nice step up.

What are my options in terms of 21:9 TV's right now?

Would need to be 40 inch +

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I've decided my next TV for the living room needs to be this aspect ratio. Screw 4k for now. The horsepower to render games at that resolution is just a bit too much for me to justify right now and 21:9 would feel like a nice step up.

What are my options in terms of 21:9 TV's right now?

Would need to be 40 inch +

I think Vizio is the only company currently making them, and even they may have stopped. It hasn't really caught on even though movies look fantastic on them. I think the fact that all television shows will have black bars on the side has turned people off of them a bit. I may be wrong on the availability. It's been about 2 months since I was researching 21:9 televisions. Hopefully more are being announced.

MRORANGE

I wondered how long it was going to take you to get a 21:9 OT going ;)

Those LGs have been back in stock in the UK last week and are already selling like hot cakes.

Of course pics look nice but videos really sell the aspect ratio (excuse my awful DS skills but no hud makes the game a teeny bit harder)
Dark Souls 21:9
Dead Space Intro 21:9

The price hikes are also starting as well D: it was £799 before now it's going up to £850 in some stores that have any left, currently have about £400, trying to find the rest of the money to pay for it - as well as trying to justify why I spent so much on a single monitor :).

Any recommendations? Price seems much more reasonable and that resolution is workable with HDMI.

LG, Dell and Asus are good picks from the 29" range, there are some 25" models at the same resolution but they are very tiny height wise.

If you have an nvidia card use the desktop resize option down to 1920x800 and the games will pick it up.
Iirc you have to be using a 21:9 desktop aspect ratio when loading a game or the games will often hang when selecting it.
I have a LG 29UM65 (2560x1080)

I love it, do it regret it all.

21:9 gaming is glorious!

Any issues anyone has with 21:9 should check out Flawless Widescreen It will fix any video game issues you may have and it is updated regularly.

All good points will add it to the OP.

Mononoke

Banned
Not sure if it's been fixed, but the Assasin's Creed series doesn't work with 21:9. It's a fixed ratio so you have the black bars on the side. Pretty annoying. Strange because other Ubisoft titles (like Watch Dogs) supports 21:9. If you guys ever need a site that tells you which titles supports it or not, this is pretty good:

http://www.wsgf.org/

If you look up the title, it will have a status that lets you know if it's supported. And will give you a work around (sometimes) to fix it so it does work. Some titles just don't support it though.

Top Bottom