This thread is to discuss the latest news with 21:9 monitors, support for games and buying options.
Why would I opt for a 21:9 monitor?
There are several benefits of 21:9 over 16:9/16:10/4:3, the most obvious is the screen real estate, being double the resolution of one 4:3
at 1280x1024 gives you a great cinematic experience that is very engrossing, especially for games such as FPS, TPS and racers
where the wider resolution can help with the FOV. A lot of games can support it through configs and most recent games have adopted
the new format.
The best place to get help with 21:9 gaming: http://www.wsgf.org/
You can also try: http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
Play games in 21:9 right now
Most PC games have config files, which allow you to set custom resolutions, if you want tot try it out on your 1920x1080 you can set
the resolution at 1920x810. Source games are quite easy to make these changes, other games may vary. Or if you have a Nvidia card
use the desktop resize option, there should be a same utility for AMD cards. Use the links above for more details on support.
Overall the benefits of 21:9:
- Great for gaming, TPS, FPS and racing games are amazing at this aspect ratio
- Best cinematic experience you can get
- Gets rid of bezels for dual/tri monitor set-ups
- Support for latest games is getting a lot better
- Prices are getting somewhat cheaper
So who shouldn't get a 21:9 monitor?
- People who play console games only
- People who hate black bars for games stuck in 16:9 mode
Current King of 21:9 Monitors:
AOC and DELL are making 34" 3440x1440 versions, these are not out yet, cheaper 29" models can be found - but are at 2560x1080