• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The incredible story of No Man's Sky & how a tiny UK team took E3 by storm

Xando

If this game is half as good as im thinking this will probably be my GOTY whenever it releases.
It looks like they're (Hello Games) are mad in love with their own game, thats exactly what i miss about most AAA devs these days. Really loking forward to play this game.

Tenki

I think Sony and the press are hyping the game too much, and I'm not sure if it will live up to the hype. I hope I'm wrong, because it looks great.

Walshicus

Always good to see more new English studios.

Seems surprising that Guildford has turned out to be a (or the?) centre of game development here in England.

I love that guy, he's so passionate, it just oozes out of him.

I'm really excited for this game, i hope they can pull it off, it sounds so ambitious.

Krakn3Dfx

He talks about different races and space stations, which makes me think there will be AI controlled NPCs in the game on some planets that you come across, either for bartering, battling, etc, but hopefully not just in a sense that you'll see them in other ships.

I cannot wait for this game, it looks and sounds amazing in every sense.

It was the (only) true highlight of the VGX. I'd have appreciated a more in-depth look & explanations on the gameplay when they showed it again at E3, it's still confusing.

Deku Tree

Watched the video, it sounds like a beautiful persistently online "animal crossing" style of RPG space simulator. Or what?

I can't wait for this game to come out. Every time Sean Murray talks about it I get more and more excited. You can just tell how much this game means to him and you just don't see that kind of passion as much anymore.

Xav

I refuse to get excited about a game in which I have no idea what the minute to minute gameplay will be like.

You have my attention but you don't have my interest yet.

anderedna

Game looks amazing, seriously. So much of exploration could be done, planets are different from each other and space combat. He also mentioned about being able/need to upgrade the ship and stuff to complete the game. All those sound very cool to me. On the E3, I didn't care much about this game, but after watching that interview and know what this game is about in more detail, I think I'll buy this game once I get myself a PS4.

It's not a "must watch" video, but it did a fair bit to bolster my hype for the game. Now that the devs have stopped skirting around the issue of what the objective is, it's nice to actually know what you're supposed to 'do' in this game now.

Yeah, day one. I hope it's not too far away.

curb

Banned
The worst thing about coverage on this game is that it's just a reminder that we're likely going to have a long wait until this game is out.

I hope the center of the galaxy is a black hole to a new galaxy. Galaxy 2.0 where everything gets even stranger and harder to traverse.

EL CUCO

Everything about this game gives me feels.

HO0BOx1.jpg

Sydle

I wouldn't call that an incredible story.

It's nice looking and I like the RPG concept behind upgrading a ship. Still need to know what it's like to explore how on the planet before I get the least bit excited.

Very wary. This is similar to the Destiny "what is this game" question. Before I even get one little sliver of hype I need to know how this game actually works at a systematic and mechanical level. So far it just seems like walking on planets and then flying through space...none of which excites me terribly. Where's the combat? What's the progression like? Etc.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Very wary. This is similar to the Destiny "what is this game" question. Because I even get one little sliver of hype I need to know how this game actually works at a systematic and mechanical level. So far it just seems like walking on planets and then flying through space...none of which excites me terribly. Where's the combat? What's the progression like? Etc.
Yep. All of this.

DevilFox

I think Sony and the press are hyping the game too much, and I'm not sure if it will live up to the hype. I hope I'm wrong, because it looks great.

Agreed, I share the same fears. It would be awful if the game doesn't get appreciated.. I just hope the press will remember that we're still talking about an indie team of 4 guys :|

The primary goal of the game of everyone going to the center of the galaxy is really cool. I'm imagining how awesome a supermassive black hole in No Man's Sky will look.

MMaRsu

Banned
Very wary. This is similar to the Destiny "what is this game" question. Before I even get one little sliver of hype I need to know how this game actually works at a systematic and mechanical level. So far it just seems like walking on planets and then flying through space...none of which excites me terribly. Where's the combat? What's the progression like? Etc.

These guys aint no Bungie but the Destiny alpha was bloody amaaaaazing. Goty stuff.

This game also looks really really cool.

I'm worried the hype will kill this. Even if its a good game, rightly or wrongly just being good won't be enough.

Just would like a bit more information what the game will actually be. I know they want to keep things under wraps, but with a game getting this much attention you feel they'll have to break that at somepoint.

Where's the combat? What's the progression like? Etc.

They showed combat in the E3 trailers. And they've mentioned that you're going to be upgrading your weapons as well as your suit to help your survival chances. Even in this video he mentions that there is danger all around.

suedester

Banned

So you want to play the game before getting hyped about it? Seems fair enough even though that is a bit boring. Half the fun of gaming is getting lost in the HYPE.

Did you even watch the video? The whole progression is you starting on a planet on the edge of the universe and trying to get to the center by upgrading your ship, suit and weapons. As for combat, they have already shown a bit of space combat.

I'm worried the hype will kill this. Even if its a good game, just being good won't be enough.

Just would like a bit more information what the game will actually be. I know they want to keep things under wraps, but with a game getting this much attention you feel they'll have to break that at sometime.

It was a lot to ask of HG to take top billing at E3, there must be a lot going right with No Man's Sky if Sony would throw them to the wolves like that.

So you want to play the game before getting hyped about it? Seems fair enough even though that is a bit boring. Half the fun of gaming is getting lost in the HYPE.

I don't necessarily need to play it, I just want to see some actual gameplay instead of videos of wondering lifeless (outside of the odd animal pack) zones.

Did you even watch the video? The whole progression is you starting on a planet on the edge of the universe and trying to get to the center by upgrading your ship, suit and weapons. As for combat, they have already shown a bit of space combat.

I've watched this video and read the interviews. They keep mentioning combat in extremely vague terms. Same with progression/etc. It's not really inspiring a lot of faith.

cackhyena

These guys aint no Bungie but the Destiny alpha was bloody amaaaaazing. Goty stuff.

This game also looks really really cool.
I don't know about goty, but it really did surprise me. I had no interest in Destiniy before alpha.

I really want this game to be good. Not mind blowing, just have the things you talked about and have shown work right. Then just give me decent combat, in ship and out and I'm good.

darkwing

Game looks amazing, seriously. So much of exploration could be done, planets are different from each other and space combat. He also mentioned about being able/need to upgrade the ship and stuff to complete the game. All those sound very cool to me. On the E3, I didn't care much about this game, but after watching that interview and know what this game is about in more detail, I think I'll buy this game once I get myself a PS4.

yeah it seems pretty clear on what they are trying to do, I don't get why people are wondering about the gameplay stuff

suedester

Banned
I don't necessarily need to play it, I just want to see some actual gameplay instead of videos of wondering lifeless (outside of the odd animal pack) zones.

I've watched this video and read the interviews. They keep mentioning combat in extremely vague terms. Same with progression/etc. It's not really inspiring a lot of faith.

I think I'm in the minority but i prefer to see less of a game before I get to play it. Just the general theme and genre is enough to know if I'm interested and this game certainly ticks those boxes.

The game is sounding like Minecraft levels of indie hype each time it is showed. I hope the devs have heard comments about not knowing what to do outside of exploration and are adding more stuff. Like I'd love it if you could sell your discovered planet to a big corporation and mine it for resources. And with money buy a big ass space ship.

Top Bottom