• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Fixed on Switch? No Man's Sky FSR2 Upgrade, The Outer Worlds, GTA Definitive, Alan Wake!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We review a bunch of games on Nintendo Switch and sometimes they don't launch in a great state... but then they get massively improved further on down the line. Oliver Mackenzie circles back to take a look at some games that have genuinely improved since we first looked at them - kicking off with No Man's Sky, dramatically better than launch and packing a customised version of FSR2 that looks great on the Nintendo hybrid

00:00 Overview
01:03 No Man’s Sky
04:13 The Outer Worlds
06:54 GTA Definitive Editions
08:37 Alan Wake Remastered
11:39 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

No Man’s Sky update is legit good. It’s…
tenth-doctor-doctor-who.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL;DR

01:03 No Man’s Sky
- Latest patch adds FSR2. Visual transformation is "stunning". One of the cleanest games on Switch now.
- No change to texture details but the FSR2 cleaning does a good job. Resolutions seem to be give or take the same.
- Dock: 468p to 648p. Portable: give or take the same.
- Very clean albeit soft final resolve now.
- Performance is fairly similar to before, so the patch mostly fixes visuals only.

04:13 The Outer Worlds
- Missing post process from Switch, AO and DoF have been added to Switch with patches
- Texture LoD has been resolved mostly since launch. But Pop-in is still present the same levels as before.
- Performance improved from launch but still doesn't always hit a consistent 30 FPS.

06:54 GTA Definitive Editions
- Not much changed in visuals since launch.
- Performance is very much improved. Most game play runs at 30 but still has drops.
- Frame pacing issues still remain.

08:37 Alan Wake Remastered
- After patching it runs just fine at 30 with proper frame pacing, unlike the launch.
- IQ is still very soft and blurry. 360p portable and 560p docked.
- IQ looks worse than the original 540p Xbox 360 original, Switch also has missing effects compared to X360.

llLeonhart

No Mans sky, from a small indie dev team, available across every platform under the sun, is able to implement FSR2.
FF16 from one of the biggest japanese publishers couldn't be bothered.

Fake

Great video. No Man Sky is by far one of the best improves on NS, follow by ARK somehow. I must missed the FSR 2.0 update on Nintendo Switch. Is does do wonders. Shame about RDR not using FSR 2.0 on NS. Would be a better move to the game.

BTW Outer Worlds sucks.

Fbh

Props to the devs for actually improving their games.
But holy shit even after being fixed most of these look terrible.

Which makes it all the more impressive that Metroid Prime remaster looks as good as it does while running at 60fps AND 900p
JqZTmh0.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The way the Switch is having every single ounce of power squeezed out of it is testament to both its design and the skill of the devs.

How different the games industry would be if other manufacturers had the same attitude.

Deerock71

All right. After hearing all this, I purchased a physical copy of No Man's Sky on the Switch...and killed my battery playing it. I went to choir practice, let my battery charge fully...and yes killed my battery twice IN THE SAME DAY. My battery's fine, for the record. I was going to make a thread about this, but the ability to explore HUGE ENTIRE WORLDS in the palm of your hands feels surreal.

And to think when NMS first launched, all I saw was pastel rainbow vomit planets (which wasn't far off the mark, mind you).

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I know no mans sky went through some big optimisation improvements for PSVR2 a while ago, turning it from a blurry mess to a clean AF game.
I recall that the same optimisations improved the switch performance too.

In either case, good on hello games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom