• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We've been waiting for this one with eager anticipation and Remedy does not disappoint. In our first Alan Wake 2 video, Oliver Mackenzie dissects the visuals, stacks up the PlayStation 5 version up against PC maxed out, comments on image quality and performance before delivering the verdict on the game itself. Before embargo, only PS5 and PC review code was delivered. We will return to the game on Xbox Series consoles as soon as we have the game.

00:00 Overview
01:02 Visual features
06:39 PC graphics comparison
10:14 Image quality and performance
13:11 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Color me impressed. I wish John would have commented more on the framerates of the PC version.

But if you want to play on PS5, then you should be fine. It should perform on par with the XSX.

Either way my PC is ready.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Color me impressed. I wish John would have commented more on the framerates of the PC version.

But if you want to play on PS5, then you should be fine. It should perform on par with the XSX.

Either way my PC is ready.

Rasterization only
performance-2560-1440.png

Ray-tracing
performance-rt-2560-1440.png

Path Tracing
performance-pt-2560-1440.png

Certinty

Genuinely shocked.

Control on consoles was an utter and complete mess at launch and even the coming months after. No idea how it was after that as I dropped it after I had completed it but good to see at launch this is good.

adamsapple

- Console comparison video will come later, DF only had code for PS5/PC.
- Visual consistency and quality is commendable.
- Baked GI with SSAO. Typically holds up very well with minor GI niggles.
- Material quality also praised
- "At times looks more like a CG movie"
- Pop-in is kept to minimum, outdoor foliage is top-notch as well.
- Hair are 'card based', no strands. Some character faces can look uncanny.
- The real world FMV videos all run at 30 FPS.

- Shadows have low resolution and cascades fill in very close to the player
- Relies in screen space reflections, no RT reflections in console.
- SDF (?) reflections are used as fallback.

- Console comparison with PC at max done.
- PC highest settings have better reflections, less grain, better reflections, better shadows, cascade etc. RT shadows etc are available on PC with the RT suite.
- Actual world lighting is not that different compared to console when PC is on path-tracing.
- "Console players aren't missing out on that much" compared to games like Cyberpunk.
- "Path traced PC version does look a lot better, but it doesn't embarrass the consoles"

- Quality: FSR2. 1272p used to upcale to 2160p
- Performance. FSR2 872p used to upscale to 1440p
- The biggest visual difference between the two modes is foliage density.
- In general the IQ can be soft with aliasing being more visible in in-door, building etc areas.

- Quality mode is generally good at 30 with proper frame pacing.
- Certain areas run sub 30 across stretches
- Performance runs 60, very well especially indoors.
- But in the same spots which cause performance drops in Quality, cause Performance to run at stretches of 50 FPS.

- Some glitches and bugs during DF's testing that required reloading the game.
- DF testing was seemingly done before the day 1 patch, so some issues might be fixed at launch.

Last edited:

Fbh

Seems surprisingly decent on Ps5.
Based on some of those PC requirements I was expecting even the quality mode to render at less than 1080p. Hopefully they can fix the framedrops in future patches though. Also the shimmering looks terrible.

And as with almost every "current gen only" game so far on consoles I still don't think the visual upgrades are worth the performance and resolution sacrifice.

Xtib81

- Console comparison video will come later, DF only had code for PS5/PC.
- Visual consistency and quality is commendable.
- Baked GI with SSAO. Typically holds up very well with minor GI niggles.
- Material quality also praised
- "At times looks more like a CG movie"
- Pop-in is kept to minimum, outdoor foliage is top-notch as well.
- Hair are 'card based', no strands. Some character faces can look uncanny.
- The real world FMV videos all run at 30 FPS.

- Shadows have low resolution and cascades fill in very close to the player
- Relies in screen space reflections, no RT reflections in console.
- SDF (?) reflections are used as fallback.

- Console comparison with PC at max done.
- PC highest settings have better reflections, less grain, better reflections, better shadows, cascade etc. RT shadows etc are available on PC with the RT suite.
- Actual world lighting is not that different compared to console when PC is on path-tracing.
- "Console players aren't missing out on that much" compared to games like Cyberpunk.
- "Path traced PC version does look a lot better, but it doesn't embarrass the consoles"

- Quality: FSR2. 1272p used to upcale to 2160p
- Performance. FSR2 872p used to upscale to 1440p
- The biggest visual difference between the two modes is foliage density.
- In general the IQ can be soft with aliasing being more visible in in-door, building etc areas.

- Quality mode is generally good at 30 with proper frame pacing.
- Certain areas run sub 30 across stretches
- Performance runs 60, very well especially indoors.
- But in the same spots which cause performance drops in Quality, cause Performance to run at stretches of 50 FPS.

- Some glitches and bugs during DF's testing that required reloading the game.
- DF testing was seemingly done before the day 1 patch, so some issues might be fixed at launch.

Thank you very much !! Remedy is killing it.

Last edited:
So same setting of PS5 even 3060 is faster than PS5 dam. Third party games are getting worse and worse in optimizing the game on this gen consoles. However, starting of PS4 era GTX 960 was use to beat PS4 by 20% to 30% but Gap shrink to equal when it's life was ending.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Why? 3070 is a 17 tflops gpu at average clocks. Ps5 is 10 tflops.

Edit: I should say a 3070 is equivalent to a 2080Ti which was 17 tflops at average clocks. Nvidia's tflops numbers are a bit fucked after the 30 series lineup but the 3070 is 50-70% more powerful than similar AMD RDNA2 gpus. This is a PC port downported to the PS5 and was always going to prefer PC GPUs. We have plenty of examples of ps5 outperforming pc gpus much more powerful than this. they are typically ps exclusives or games that were developed on ps5 as the lead platform. it is what it is.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What's the visual difference between Quality and Performance besides resolution ?

What is the recommended mode ?

Just the density of foliage, going by DF. Otherwise it's just the resolution.

I'm also torn because I thought, for sure, the Quality mode here will have a lot of visual flare over the performance mode.

Ev1L AuRoN

The game looks amazing, but I'm sad to see so many artifacts in the upscale. FSR is nowhere near as good as DLSS and I argue that TSR and IGTI do a much better job overall, I hope Sony and Microsoft develop and include in their SDK a better solution for image reconstruction.

Darsxx82

Possibly the game of this generation with the most impressive and realistic environments on an artistic level. The lighting (also on consoles) is exceptional.

It performs well on consoles (without seeing XSeries) and looks great. On PC it must be a luxury.

Great job by Remedy, congratulations. Eager to play it.

Flabagast

So weird that this video does not mention at all the awesome physics of the game that are basically more advanced that nearly every other game out there.

As always Oliver's output is below expectations and he does not seem to be a very good worker.

adamsapple

872p? That's a massive improvement over the Xbox 360 original.

FSR2 doing its job, in some cases better than others.

Redfall's 1080p FSR2 -> 4K is almost indistinguishable from the Quality mode, but then that game has a lot of angular data, I reckon its harder on a lot of foliage etc.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
FSR2 doing its job, in some cases better than others.

Redfall's 1080p FSR2 -> 4K is almost indistinguishable from the Quality mode, but then that game has a lot of angular data, I reckon its harder on a lot of foliage etc.
FSR2 is doing good work, yeah. I'm obviously joking about the resolution, but it does seem fitting to be a very low base resolution.

Cool, reviews are great too so looks like ill be picking this up shortly! Don't really want to buy on Epic store but kind of have no choice except to buy the PS5 version.

hinch7

So same setting of PS5 even 3060 is faster than PS5 dam. Third party games are getting worse and worse in optimizing the game on this gen consoles. However, starting of PS4 era GTX 960 was use to beat PS4 by 20% to 30% but Gap shrink to equal when it's life was ending.
Issue being the CPU. The cut back and low clocked Zen 2 bottlenecks the whole system.

Talking about upscaling.. AMD needs to work on FSR 2.X. When DLSS with RR looks way better at performance settings vs FSR Quality at 1440P its a little yeah...
Untitled-Copy.png

[1440P DLSS Performance left with RR / FSR Quality right]

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
872p? That's a massive improvement over the Xbox 360 original.
alan wake was 30 fps on the xbox 360. the 872p number is from the 60 fps mode but you knew that.

and it dropped down to 540p.

Alan Wake is a pretty consistent 30FPS game, as you would hope when the resolution has been reduced from the standard 720p down to 960x540 .May 24, 2010

PS5 in 30 fps mode drops down to 1296p which is a 6x increase in pixel count. And FSR2 has a performance hit of its own as it reconstructs to 4k which has a cost of its own. Alan Wake on the 360 did not do any kind of reconstruction. the game can probably run at 1440p on the ps5 at 30 fps. thats an 8x improvement in pixel count over 540p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom