• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

Mr Moose

3080 10 GB getting buttfucked by a 3060 due to lack of vram is seriously fucked up. The card is literally $450 cheaper than the $800 3080.

performance-pt-2560-1440.png
Me and my 3060
the-simpsons-homer.gif

Soltype

I think the game looks good, but there's a lot of things with this weird grain effect on them, control had the same problem. I don't know what it is but it always sticks out.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What did I say about Remedy?.
Z3fDKla.jpg

I told you iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

RTX trying its work

Zathalus

Why he didn't do the same kind of fair comparisons with some first party games like Death Stranding or Ratchet and clank?
Do you not pay attention? He absolutely has done multiple comparisons. Death Stranding, Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, God of War. All have been compared to PC GPUs, ranging from the 2060 Super all the way up to the 3070.

alan wake was 30 fps on the xbox 360. the 872p number is from the 60 fps mode but you knew that.

and it dropped down to 540p.
I'm a massive Alan Wake fan. It was just a joke about the original's resolution kind of mirroring the new one's.
Quality mode is the way to go, this seem to be a very slow paced game.
Depends on the motion blur quality for me. 30fps looks awful on an OLED with poor motion blur. If Control is any indication, it'll look like a slideshow at 30fps on an OLED.

Last edited:

marjo

And the 4060 and 4060 Ti already obsolete because of that 8GB buffer.
The game clearly needs. 12 GB of vram @1440p with path tracing. Still,I believe these numbers are without image reconstruction, so maybe with DLSS, 8 GB would be enough.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Do you not pay attention? He absolutely has done multiple comparisons. Death Stranding, Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, God of War. All have been compared to PC GPUs, ranging from the 2060 Super all the way up to the 3070.
He did a God of War VS with PS5 and PC? That's a BC game.

Zathalus

He did a God of War VS with PS5 and PC? That's a BC game.
No, it was with the PS4 and how it compared on PC. But Death Stranding, Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, and I think Uncharted 4 were all compared to PC GPUs. Alex has never shied away from comparing console to PC. He has done Xbox Series X to PC comparisons as well.

Skifi28

It seems the console version is better than I was expecting. I was fearing most about the lighting, but PT seems to make very little difference in that regard.

Flabagast

Does it really raise the bar? Is it better looking than TLOU2, Resident Evil 2 / 3 / 4 remakes? (all last gen or cross-gen games) If it is then it isn't by much.
Yes it is, by much.

Lighting and level of detail (notably geometry) are a gen above, + the game has awesome physics and visual effects.

Rasterization only
performance-2560-1440.png

Ray-tracing
performance-rt-2560-1440.png

Path Tracing
performance-pt-2560-1440.png

RDNA3 seems to be at Ampere levels of RT performance which ain't bad for pathtracing considering how Cyberpunk went, should make an interesting PC video from DF to see how they're doing it.

I'm just glad my 3090 is hanging in there, a bit of DLSS or some tweaks should get a nice 40fps mode :messenger_ok:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And the 4060 and 4060 Ti already obsolete because of that 8GB buffer.
My 6900XT dominating the 3070 in pathtracing (neither being at all playable though). Feel like I made the right choice in going for vram over RTX.

Last edited:
So the aliasing isn't nearly as bad in quality mode? Quality mode it is then, I can't stand aliasing.
Nah they didnt watch the video. The aliasing and shimmering is the same in quality, very bad but not for all objects. Watch the video. Its clearly a PC game firts and foremost, shame about Epic Store. Im undecided wheter i should just install that garbage store or get it on ps5....

Top Bottom