• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

Magik85

Looking pretty amazing.
Tbh I expected RT to be more transformative.
Shadows are improved vastly, but sometimes reflections look a bit off.
Like in this this scene below. With super clean reflection, simplified car model stands out. And it dosnt seem to reflect atmospherics. You have foggy/misty and yet reflection look like clear, sunny day, and its actually brighter than scene itself.
53287445931_fbcce622cqvdto.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So happy that remedy clearly made the PC version the lead platform, like they used to, and then ported down to the weaker consoles.

I'm about to make a cup of tea then I'm firing this bad boy up on my new 48 inch oled....what a day, what a beautiful day!

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Looking pretty amazing.
Like in this this scene below. With super clean reflection, simplified car model stands out. And it dosnt seem to reflect atmospherics. You have foggy/misty and yet reflection look like clear, sunny day, and its actually brighter than scene itself.

The left picture looks more realistic, real life rain reflections don't look like a perfect mirror very often. I've never seen real life look like the right pic. It's just the usual overdoing of effects to 'impress' people. Games often fall into this trap nowadays.

Zathalus

To that day, the PC equivalent to run the game like the PS5 runs the game costs at least 1500€.
Hah, no. Even in the Netherlands you can build a PC that would do better then the PS5 in this game for under 900 euro. 6 core processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB storage and a 4060.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looking pretty amazing.
Exactly. And shadows seem bugged with missing some objects in them.
Not worth the fps hit

Zathalus

Crisp reflections in clear puddles and diffuse shadows on far objects (or with a weak source of light) is actually realistic. RT mode doesn't have any missing shadows, that is just how shadows would look like in that scene.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The console version is very impressive though as DF points out.

Definitely, it's a very impressive game. Remedy are gods.

It's just good to see the PC version getting the treatment it deserves and offering considerably better overall effects, performance and more if you have the hardware to run it. Which is how it should be.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Missing the tree shadow that’s here without rt

its raytraced shadows which means the tree shouldnt be on the van, its the console versions and rasterised shadows that are there. Now, one could say they prefer that, for dramatic effect. Which is a good conversation point but realistically, its obviously not supposed to be there in reference to wear any real tree that would be casting shadow on the van, if that makes sense?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's why I stuck with my old 1080p plasma for this gen. The specs were simply too low to have any meaningful 'next-gen' upgrades at resolutions above 1080p.

But even that was overestimating it a bit because AW2 still looks blurry as hell in performance mode. It's still better than on a 4k screen but not as much as I'd hoped.
You are nuts. You are missing out on hdr and above 1080p in ton of games. You gen 1080p upscale to 4k looks better than raw 1080p.
Plasmas are missing a ton of features and playing without hdr is like black and white lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
its raytraced shadows which means the tree shouldnt be on the van, its the console versions and rasterised shadows that are there. Now, one could say they prefer that, for dramatic effect. Which is a good conversation point but realistically, its obviously not supposed to be there in reference to wear any real tree that would be casting shadow on the van would be.
Hard to say if it shouldn’t be there at all.
There is another screenshot where fence doesn’t cast any shadow too.
I understand it should be diffused but maybe not that much.
Rt is not always accurate because it’s rt. It’s not magically all natural and realistic. Someone has to still configure all of it.
Like the diner scene. Just because there is rt, doesn’t help. It’s too dark under that table

artsi

The left picture looks more realistic, real life rain reflections don't look like a perfect mirror very often. I've never seen real life look like the right pic. It's just the usual overdoing of effects to 'impress' people. Games often fall into this trap nowadays.

It does not rain in that scene, it's just a puddle.

Water (when still) does provide a mirror reflection so I do find that realistic.

image.png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So happy that remedy clearly made the PC version the lead platform, like they used to, and then ported down to the weaker consoles.
Very likely they did the opposite. Same thing as CDPR not making path traced CP2077 the lead project but still adding it on. This is in the real of features you can add on (if you have enough power to brute force them through).

Bojji

We need to figure out how the SX version compares to PS5. Does SX have the shimmering issue?

I've got it downloaded on PS5 because of Dualsense but I'm thinking of canceling until I know how SX compares. The shimmering will really bother me if I know I could've had the cleaner version.

Xbox version uses "brilliant" FSR2 too so even if it has slighty higher resolution it will shimmer like motherfucker as well.

What I see is one big SSR artifact, in some aspects it may look realistic but in motion it looks like shit.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
3080 10 GB getting buttfucked by a 3060 due to lack of vram is seriously fucked up. The card is literally $450 cheaper than the $800 3080.

performance-pt-2560-1440.png
Technically true, but not even the 3090 24GB can pull off those settings without resorting to DLSS Performance(this is based on 4090 DLSS scaling, 3090 could be worse), and that's still under 60fps avg. Looking at 1% Low and assuming benchmark settings, the 3080 would be a better fit for 1080p DLSS 'Quality' or 'Balanced'/Max Settings/RT. In this scenario it will double the performance of the 3060 and pretty much match the performance of the 7900XTX 24GB, plus provide better 1% Lows and superior image quality due to DLSS vs FSR.

And the 4060 and 4060 Ti already obsolete because of that 8GB buffer.
7900XTX can't run path tracing at 1440p at these settings even using FSR 2 'Performance' mode. It would have to resort to using 'Ultra Performance' to hit 60fps avg which looks makes it look like a PSX game.

4060 is ideal for 1080p DLSS 'Quality' or 'Balanced'/High Preset/60fps without FG, or 100fps with FG. I watched a video of a guy playing on a 4060 in a forest area with dense vegetation and he was able to play at 1080p DLSS 'Quality'/High Settings and hit around 63fps avg/53fps 1% low. Then with FG enabled he was getting around 100fps avg/75fps 1% low. Could have probably got a 10-15% performance increase going to DLSS 'Balanced'.

Wouldn't really surprise me if the 4060 has better performance and image quality at 1080p DLSS 'Balanced' or 'Quality' than PS5 does in it's 1440p FSR 2 'Balanced' Performance mode. Turn on FG and play on a G-Sync/Freesync monitor and you're getting a pretty good experience for a $290-300 card.

Last edited:

hlm666

Hard to say if it shouldn’t be there at all.
There is another screenshot where fence doesn’t cast any shadow too.
I understand it should be diffused but maybe not that much.
Rt is not always accurate because it’s rt. It’s not magically all natural and realistic. Someone has to still configure all of it.
Like the diner scene. Just because there is rt, doesn’t help. It’s too dark under that table
The shadow is actually there, it's so far away that it is faint, you can see it in this video. Look for the darker spots on the side of the van, that's your tree shadows.

MikeM

This isn't 1999. PCs don't need components twice as powerful as consoles to get the same performance.

For $900 you can get a build centered on an RX 6800 which outperforms the PS5 by over 50% in real life scenarios. The PS5 typically performs around a 2070 to 2080S depending on the game. That's far weaker than a 6800.

No.

In a Plague Tale: Requiem, the PS5 gets outperformed by an RTX 2070S.
TVGAa8K.png

In Death Stranding, it's slightly faster than an RTX 2080.

oHwmiXk.png

There are only two games where the PS5 performs much better than its PC-equivalent cards and these are Uncharted 4 and TLOU Part I (same engine) where it's far better than even a 2080S and is close to a 2080 Ti/3070 (still slower than a 6800) but these are the exception, not the rule. In general, the PS5 performs on the level of a 2070 to a 2080S depending on the game and closer to the lower-end of the spectrum when factoring ray tracing. The CPU is around the level of a Ryzen 3600 but to be on the safe side, it's best to use something significantly faster like a 3700X. The 5600X in my proposed build crushes the 3700X.

The 6800 which is a $400 GPU outperforms the 2070S by 50% and the 2080S by over 30%. The 7900 XT in my proposed build is more than twice as fast as the PS5's GPU.

9OzXHpC.png

$900 wouldn't give you hardware that's merely equivalent to the PS5. It would give you hardware that is much faster than the PS5 and would beat it easily 1000% of the time.

Consoles are good bang-for-your-buck machines and at $500, they're still a very attractive option but you're woefully uninformed and sound like you haven't built a PC since the late 90s. There's no way to spin this. A PC sporting a 7900 XT+5600XT ($1500) is far beyond the capabilities of a PS5 and very likely closer to a PS5 Pro if not faster. No amount of "console optimization" will cover such a massive deficit, especially when a paltry 3070 in this game beats a PS5 by up to 50% and the 7900 XT itself beats the 3070 by 70%.
Perf on PS5 for Plague Tale has been fixed quite a bit. See NXGamer’s video in it but its upwards of 10-15% better now. There’s even a legit 120fps mode.

Don’t know where you live, but a 7900xt build in Canada is not possible for $1500 CAD. The cheapest version if that card alone retails for $1,200 before tax. A 5600 cpu still runs $185 before tax. Then mobo, PSU, RAM etc… I run a 7600x/7900xt build personally and a PS5.

Now we reached the "you're too old" argument ? If that's all you have... It might disappoint you but I built a PC recently, ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6800XT, 32gb of DDR4 (3200mhz)... I know everything you're saying here and the exemple of Plague Tale is clever, it's one of the worst running game on PS5 so it goes with what you're trying to demonstrate, that's for sure.

I can admit that I exaggerated a bit when I said 1500€ (keep in mind in Europe a PC build is a lot more expensive than in the US, what you get for 1300 we get it for 1500) but my point is still valid, optimisation is still everything and your example of Plague Tale is a good one. There are other good exemples, look at Redfall on day one, struggling with 30fps while it looked like shit, compared to Horizon FW, Death Stranding, GOW Ragnarok... If HFW runs at 60fps on a modern hardware (whatever XSX or PS5 it's about the same) then Redfall should run at 120fps no problem. Again optimization is key. But it needs time, more than before since games are way more complex than before, something that publishers won't give to devs.

I don't say that PC have no advantage (I wouldn't own one if that was the case) but I'll keep my opinion. PCs are great for many things : most of time your games will scale on the power of your rig, while on PS5/XSX, if a game run at 4K30fps on a 4K TV / monitor, it won't run at 60/90/120fps if you plug it on a 1440p/1080p screen, which sucks. While a lot of games are well upgraded on XSX, with a resolution and fps bump, a lot of games aren't, the XSX version of Dragon Age Inquisition or Batman AK both still look bad at 720 with a lot of aliasing on XSX.

But I can't help but feeling blown away by what can produce a 400$ machine, look at horizon FW, it might be the prettiest and technically most advanced game to date (maybe outside of AW2 now?), and yes it'll look better on a PC (if you have a good enough rig) but as a person who's building PCs / and testing them as a hobby (not my job anymore) since many many years and seeing the price that people spend on those, and looking what this little machine can do is always impressive.
These consoles are amazing. I’m playing Spiderman 2 and am blown away by it. HFW with its uncapped framerate was really impressive too. Hell, COD at 120fps has never been seen before untik these systems. As I mentioned above, I run a pretty high end PC and when playing the PS5 i’m rarely feeling like im missing out on anything major when playing 60fps or higher games.

SenkiDala

Perf on PS5 for Plague Tale has been fixed quite a bit. See NXGamer’s video in it but its upwards of 10-15% better now. There’s even a legit 120fps mode.

Don’t know where you live, but a 7900xt build in Canada is not possible for $1500 CAD. The cheapest version if that card alone retails for $1,200 before tax. A 5600 cpu still runs $185 before tax. Then mobo, PSU, RAM etc… I run a 7600x/7900xt build personally and a PS5.

These consoles are amazing. I’m playing Spiderman 2 and am blown away by it. HFW with its uncapped framerate was really impressive too. Hell, COD at 120fps has never been seen before untik these systems. As I mentioned above, I run a pretty high end PC and when playing the PS5 i’m rarely feeling like im missing out on anything major when playing 60fps or higher games.
Thank you it is all I am trying to say since the beginning. T_T

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Looking pretty amazing.

I agree as well, devs and these dumbasses at DF are just cocksucking on RT/PT effects like its the second coming of jesus, but the effects are not accurate at all. Left looks more natural except for the noise effect which is very annoying. Im inclining towards the PS5 version just so I dont have to install that pos Epic Store but the shimmering, aliasing and noise issues on PS5 are very annoying, more than DF are mentioning. Everything shimmers when you move the flashlight in the dark and more than half the game is in the dark. Also FSR is ugly as shit.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Performance has been improved on every platform. The chart is with the patch that improves it. The delta remains the same. PS5 performs like a 2070S.
Good thing I said USD and not CAD, right? That's $2071 USD. The PS5 is also not $500 CAD so why did you conveniently forget to bring that up? $1200 before taxes? I don't think so.

agcm0xl.png

That's not the argument. The argument is that a PS5 isn't equivalent to a $1500 USD PC, far from it. It's great value, nobody disputed this (although a lot of it is due to outrageous PC parts prices), simply not on the level of a PC sporting even a $340 RX 6750+3700X, let alone a 6800 XT+5800X

Thank you it is all I am trying to say since the beginning. T_T

We have a post of you claiming a PC would need to be at least $1500 to match the PS5 and were presented with a build that will perform twice as well for $1500. Nobody would have disputed you claiming the PS5 is a great value item, but you had to go ahead and be disingenuous with your outlandish claims.

Using Google seriously isn't that hard. A 30 seconds search will disprove what you're saying so I don't even know what you're trying to pull there. $1200 CAD RX 7900 XT being the cheapest when it can be found for $1039? $1500 USD to merely match a PS5? Come on. Have an honest discourse. Don't lie. You didn't see me try building a shitty $500-550 rig with an RX 6600 and bottom-tier i3 CPU and a $30 PSU claiming it would match the PS5 like so many PC gamers try to do. It's not possible to match a console for $500 (let alone $400). Doesn't mean you should make insane and false claims about them either.

Last edited:

yamaci17

hypocrisy at its finest

remember their 3070 6700xt 4060ti 16 gb comparison videos where they use weirds settings that bring 8 GB buffer to single digits just to prove a point, to a point 6800xt performs around 35 45 fps range and they call it playable and 3070 tanks to 15 digits and that's good for 6800xt? nice.

but when it is the other way around, 35 40 45 fps becomes unplayable! 60 fps is a minimum a must! the advantage doesn't matter anymore!! both is unplayable anyways!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree as well, devs and these dumbasses at DF are just cocksucking on RT/PT effects like its the second coming of jesus, but the effects are not accurate at all. Left looks more natural except for the noise effect which is very annoying. Im inclining towards the PS5 version just so I dont have to install that pos Epic Store but the shimmering, aliasing and noise issues on PS5 are very annoying, more than DF are mentioning. Everything shimmers when you move the flashlight in the dark and more than half the game is in the dark. Also FSR is ugly as shit.
Exactly.
And then there is that use rt
"uhm yes the light is above table and floor is under the table, therefore is it much more accurate how PITCH FUCKING BLACK it is under the table with RT".
Like... is all of the floor and underside of the table painted with vanta black?!.
RT looks great sometimes but everyone is blind to criticizing it
d10cA4b.png

Bojji

hypocrisy at its finest

remember their 3070 6700xt 4060ti 16 gb comparison videos where they use weirds settings that bring 8 GB buffer to single digits just to prove a point, to a point 6800xt performs around 35 45 fps range and they call it playable and 3070 tanks to 15 digits and that's good for 6800xt? nice.

but when it is the other way around, 35 40 45 fps becomes unplayable! 60 fps is a minimum a must! the advantage doesn't matter anymore!! both is unplayable anyways!

Yeah, they are full of shit to defend their original stance. Difference here is massive and game is way more playable on 2060S than on 5700XT, not to mention there are visual artifacts without MS (as seen in Daniel Owen video when he was running it on 1070).

Fun thing is that 5700XT is perfectly capable in running the game nearly as good as PS5 but there are not software layers to run MS on primitive shaders.

winjer

Gold Member
Some tweaks to improve the game's graphics
Alan Wake 2's config files are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Remedy\AlanWake2, the config file is named renderer.ini.
There's several useful settings that are not configurable in the game's settings:
  • m_bVignette: set this to "false" to disable vignetting
  • m_bDepthOfField: set this to "false" to disable depth of field
  • m_bLensDistortion: set this to "false" to disable lens distortion"

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Alex is seriously getting on my nerves with his constant fanboy warring.

So what was with all his videos comparing consoles to a 2060S? Turns out they were closer to a 2080 after all. Who woulda thunk. The dude is gleeful when consoles perform badly. He's supposed to be a professional but isn't better than the average Gaf system warrior.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

hypocrisy at its finest

FineWine^TM and Hardware unboxed not able to eat the crow is a mix we’ll likely see many times in coming years as we switch to more and more RT and Path tracing.

They’re so transparent…

Godfavor

Exactly.
And then there is that use rt
"uhm yes the light is above table and floor is under the table, therefore is it much more accurate how PITCH FUCKING BLACK it is under the table with RT".
Like... is all of the floor and underside of the table painted with vanta black?!.
RT looks great sometimes but everyone is blind to criticizing it
d10cA4b.png
Pre baked lighting might use a higher quality pre calculated RT setting (more bounces) than the real time one, it is more accurate that there is some light under the table

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

So what was with all his videos comparing consoles to a 2060S? Turns out they were closer to a 2080 after all. Who woulda thunk. The dude is gleeful when consoles perform badly. He's supposed to be a professional but isn't better than the average Gaf system warrior.

No one said that a £500 console would have the same performance as a high end PC. This guy loves to stir the pot, he’s the biggest PC fanboy!

Watched the DF video and I’ll be playing this on PS5 on performance mode. 1440P 60 is fine for me this generation in all honesty. We’ve got to the point of diminishing returns in graphics, and Ray tracing, as cool as it is just doesn’t impact my gameplay that much. The performance hit is too high, so you can look at things in a puddle or a window so it feels “real”. We know this isn’t real, they are games 😂.

If a pro model can give full 4K while maintains 60 I’ll bite, but I’m more than happy with what our £500 boxes can do. PS5 and Series X are cost effective and provide me more than enough value.

shamoomoo

Lol! When has the RTX 2080 ever been considered low end? As of now, it's 2 gens old but was Nvidias second fastest Turing GPU. Also,I thought PC players didn't use ultra settings in most instances because it's usually a waste and high is sufficient?

Console don't need to be set at ultra, I think high always or high and minimum is a good enough console equivalent.

Last edited:

Godfavor

Maybe the pre baked lighting is not removed and RT is applied over baked maps ? That's why its too dark ?
I don't think so, they use the same engine to calculate light, so the first one is pre baked and applied to the scene with as many bounces and quality as the artists can implement.

And the real time one definitely has a limit of the bounced lighting on screen as it might be too expensive to calculate more bounces in real time

The non real time one might use a probe system that is not that accurate of the per pixel RTGI though

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Can't start the game, it crashes with the error message "menu _ authentication_failed _ epic"

Disable RTSS or any other screen overlay type thingys if you have them running on your PC and/or enable 'low compatibility' mode.

If that doesn't work just kick the cat or something.

Duchess

I see this a lot with RT at the moment. The solution could be to include a certain amount of ambient light in the calculations?

Alex's obsession with comparing PS5 with a top PC is ridiculous, as is seeing his face when talking about PS5 pro.
I think he's smug about PCs' advantages over consoles in general. He probably talks smack about the XSX, too.

DaGwaphics

A lot of times games with RT over do the darker shadows. I completely agree that In real life there would be zero reason for everything under the table to disappear into a void in a room that well lit. But, it's for a video game and I think they like the dramatic effect.

Dying Light 2 looked great in most of the RT shots, but there too there were a few spots in broad daylight where anything in shadow was just black and lost all detail.

Last edited:

PC games getting bad ports is almost worth it just to see him melt down.

Lysandros

Alex's obsession with comparing PS5 with a top PC is ridiculous, as is seeing his face when talking about PS5 pro.
This obsessive fanatic is the antithesis of professionalism, he is bordering caricatural levels with his incessant propaganda and crude manipulations. Sad to say but anyone who is regarding him as a legit and respectable authority on anything is out of touch with reality.

Top Bottom