• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS may be localized if demand is high enough

From Anime Expo

One Piece Podcast said:
Bandai rep says if there is enough demand, they will look at bringing The J-Stars video games over

Source

Didn't want this nugget of news getting lost in the OT

Start demanding, people.

Takao

Banned
Your title and what that Tweet says are not the same thing. You can look into a game, see the 30 different licenses you have to go through and the fact that it's on PS3/PSV in 2015 and say "Nope".

Also, "games"?

I kind of feel like Japan Expo was this game's last shot at any western release. Bandai Namco usually doesn't take ages to announce stuff internationally and this game was released back in March in Japan.

Compbros

How is that possible with all the licensing stuff? Even if it's just subtitled the series within the game are owned by different companies in the U.S.

Isotope

Would absolutely love it, but wouldn't it be a incensing mess? Isn't that why we never got Jump Super/Ultimate Stars?

I could see some kind of deal between viz and funimation making this possible. Might still be a pain in the ass in terms of licensing though.

Your title and what that Tweet says are not the same thing. You can look into a game, see the 30 different licenses you have to go through and the fact that it's on PS3/PSV in 2015 and say "Nope".

Ehh semantics. Though if the title is misleading, a mod can change it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I sure wouldn't mind if they localized this, especially since I was just checking prices for the Vita version. I think the only license that might pose a problem would be Fist of the North Star since I think Tecmo Koei has the US rights for that, but otherwise, either nobody has the gaming rights or Namco already has them (One Piece, Dragonball Z, Naruto, think nobody has Bleach at the moment).

Would absolutely love it, but wouldn't it be a incensing mess? Isn't that why we never got Jump Super/Ultimate Stars?
That had 41 franchises compared to this game's 32, plus I think Konami would have been involved with Ultimate Stars due to Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh. Since those aren't in J-Stars, they wouldn't be involved.

& I'm sure if they somehow did bring this over, we wouldn't get the version with all the anime OPs and no dub due to extra costs, but I'd be fine with that, especially since it allows custom music.

Does it have a story mode?
Yes, you go around with all the different characters with 3 different "chapters" to different worlds and such.

Ryuukan

Also, "games"?

I kind of feel like Japan Expo was this game's last shot at any western release. Bandai Namco usually doesn't take ages to announce stuff internationally and this game was released back in March in Japan.

Isn't this basically 1 company, Viz, to deal with as far as licensing goes?

Tweet and title make perfect sense, not sure what you are mad about here

I have the game, and it's pretty great. Had a lot of fun playing it with my friends and online (except for the Vegeta/Saiki spammers). Only thing I didn't like about the gameplay, was that you aren't as free as you'd expect. Like you can only dash straight, not side to side. Or when your character jumps, they have to stop once they hit the ground. So I guess I expected it to be faster before picking it up, but it was still fun to play. After getting used to it.

It would be cool if it got localized, because then I'd finally be able to get into online matches with people with good connections.

How would they know if demand is high enough?

Probably a FB/Twitter situation like with Tales Of, or just a petition. There's still a petition floating around of people asking for it in the US. Just checked and it's around 21,000 signatures, not bad.

Nanashrew

Banned
Depends, does One Piece: Unlimited World Red bare the Funimation Logo? If so then it'd probably be a licensing nightmare.

It does. I believe one of the major reasons Jump Ultimate Stars never made it here is because of all the licensing of anime here in the west and each Jump character is under a different anime publisher.

Takao

Banned

Tweet and title make perfect sense, not sure what you are mad about here

Despite being a Jump crossover, they're clearly pulling anime inspiration in this game. In fact, I distinctly remember a trailer that had the TV anime logos lead into gameplay.

As for the title, I'm not mad, but given we had a similar situation with a Bandai Namco EU CM this week I figured it was worth pointing out.

Honestly it's really not that good. Be careful what you wish for people. This is not Project X Zone bad, but it could've been way better.

Shizuka

Probably a FB/Twitter situation like with Tales Of, or just a petition. There's still a petition floating around of people asking for it in the US. Just checked and it's around 21,000 signatures, not bad.

Could you share that with us, maybe for the author to include it on the OP as well?

18-Volt

Nowadays Shueshia localizes all of its manga through Viz. Would that help the licensing situation at all?

I believe anime/manga licenses and video game licenses are completely seperate things. Bandai Namco holds video game right for every series in the game in west so it won't be problem. "Viz" name has never been mentioned in any localized Jump game at all.

Compbros

Viz publishes one piece manga, dont see what funimation would have to do with it

Because Funimation licenses the anime, so if the Unlimited Red game bares their logo despite it being no voices, only subtitled, then it means the licensing runs through them (the anime licensers) rather than Viz (the manga licensers),

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mind linking it? Perhaps it'll get a boost with the recent news.

Manga-wise, I'd assume so since they either publish the manga here in the US or not. Anime-wise is different since Funimation has some while Sentai has others (Medaka Box, To-Love-Ru, etc.) & Disco Tek just re-released the entire Fist of the North Star series (not to mention as stated, Tecmo Koei has the game rights for that with Ken's Rage).

I believe anime/manga licenses and video game licenses are completely seperate things. Bandai Namco holds video game right for every series in the game in west so it won't be problem. "Viz" name has never been mentioned in any localized Jump game at all.
I'm pretty sure this is correct, based on when I was learning about if Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom could come to the US. I remember hearing some companies had only the anime rights and nothing else.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yes, this is likely not at all.

>PS3/PS Vita
>2015
>30-odd licenses to deal with, even if they do all belong to one company
>extremely niche, even by anime game standards
>not very good, by most accounts

Now, if there's a 3DS/PS4 version coming/already out, then that might be doable, but it still isn't likely. Gundam EX VS Full Burst coming out in Europe is more likely
and welcome
than this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Having gotten the import just a few weeks ago, I love the game. So many awesome callout and references to so many great moments and series, so many surprisingly varied gameplay styles, and a lot of fun putting together new teams and tactics. It's got a lot of flaws and "what wee they thinking?!?" bits to it, but they don't detract from the wonder of the overall experience.

I would be interested if I had not heard that the gameplay was complete bollocks.

There's a couple of characters with a few really powerful tools. That's really the only bad part about it; they're so strong, that it makes other options much less practical than they should be. This isn't anything that should keep one interested from playing the game. Though it might make for a few frustrating matchups with spammers and the like.

I'm actually impressed with how well the game is put together, for a first time attempt at a fighter like this.

I'm sure Namco wouldn't bring the Vita version, either.

And they really should too, having the game on dual systems, with the same basic license and localization applied to both, should give MORE reason as to why they could port it, not less.

A western release would be a great excuse to plop in some "International Version POWER UP!" DLC and a new balance patch, really. The people who purchased JoJo's All Star Battle could also appreciate this game too...

Not balanced, the combo system is pretty weak, and no training mode is what I keep hearing. There's more in the OT thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783267

While I'd appreciate a training mode, I'm surprised so many expected it to have one. Does Extreme VS have one? Games like Gundam Feddy VS Zeon and Gotcha Force never really had training modes... and it's not like one can't just set up a 1 VS 1 match to act as training, I've done as much myself. Heck, the campaign mode (required for unlocks) gives you a lot of training time in it's own way, though it's with a limited selection of characters per story.

Shizuka

If only he mentioned a petition in particular, I'm sure that'd have boosted the petition's exposure and chances of getting more signatures.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Would've wanted it if it was like the DS Stars games, but this game looks pretty bad. Not sure if I would buy.

Compbros

Game is fine, there is some issues with certain characters but from what it is it's pretty balanced.

If it was as bad as people say it is, there wouldn't be a wiki for the game that is constantly being updated

http://jstars.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/トップページ

Sorry, that doesn't really prove anything except there are fans that care enough to update info about the games. Doesn't tell us anything about the quality, just that some people find it enjoyable.

Sorry, that doesn't really prove anything except there are fans that care enough to update info about the games. Doesn't tell us anything about the quality, just that some people find it enjoyable.

Neither did the other quote, what do you expect me to say?

Compbros

Neither did the other quote, what do you expect me to say?

It proves that some people think the game is bad and he's reiterating some stuff he heard from another thread. The difference is he said that, from what he heard, the game was terrible whereas you tried to prove it wasn't by people updating a wikipedia. Not knocking you but there's a difference.

It proves that some people think the game is bad and he's reiterating some stuff he heard from another thread. The difference is he said that, from what he heard, the game was terrible whereas you tried to prove it wasn't by people updating a wikipedia. Not knocking you but there's a difference.

Looking at the latest posts from the J-Stars OT, I'd say this person put it best. Only things I didn't have a problem with that they mentioned. Was the lack of a training mode, lag, and the split-screen.

I usually just set the COM to P2 with a full handicap, and practice on them. Restarting the match when they die. It's a personal preference whether a training mode is a deal breaker. I didn't encounter lag when I was against US players, but encountered a ton against JP players. So I'm guessing that's a region connection issue. Split-screen is another "your preference" negative or positive. The split screen has this border at the top and bottom of the screen. Kinda like a movie border, but wider. I got used to it when playing against friends, but it can be annoying for some.

Gamekult.com Import Review

+ incredible cast
+ a true singleplayer mode
+ the characters are fun to play
+ some strategies
+ the custom soundtrack to put his songs

- no real training mode
- the cameras
- the lag
- slowdowns on destructible elements
- the comic splitscreen
- in short, it's clutter