• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot is really stepping it up.

Ape

Banned
Noticed that a lot of new content is on the site recently. Big pieces, going at it with IGN. Where have they been til now?

Vidpixel

I read the title as "GameStop" for a split-second and was thoroughly confused.

But yeah, the video content for GameSpot has been improving a lot as of late.

Them and GameTrailers have been drawing me in. It's the personalities mostly. Danny O'Dwyer and Kyle Bosman just come off as great people, and it makes me WANT to hear what they have to say.

The Point on Gamespot and The Final Bosman from Gametrailer are both fantastic, for those who haven't seen them

WillyFive

I still don't like their inflammatory clickbait titles, but the little content they have is great. All they need is more of it.

Chuck

Still without luck
it's all because of this man.

Bf_V6RnCMAIJTBJ.png:large

Azric

Banned
Yeah I noticed myself going to IGN less and less and it's probably for the best.

I have always found gamespot better..mainly due to their unbiased and generally accurate reviews. IGN had the better layout, but gamespot is up there now. I don't get spammed with nonstop ads for even 15 second videos like IGN. It's great in comparison. So yeah, I have been using their site a lot more now.

def sim

A lot of it, for me, has to do with Danny's appearances in Giant Bomb. I eventually checked out his "The Point" feature and I liked it well enough that I'd return to see what else was good. He's doing decent work and has made GameSpot relevant to my interests once again. I hope he and his crew keeps it up.

Agree with others, Danny is the best thing about Gamespot.

But yeah, they've been pumping out some decent stuff lately and not just weak copy/paste articles.

Hmm, well I'm mostly interested in Nintendo content, but am I wrong in thinking that GameSpot isn't too good for that? In fact, if I remember correctly (it's been a while), Danny always seemed rather jaded towards them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I always felt their site was a mess, which made me visit other sites instead. Have it become any better?

Would agree with OP.

I just randomly watched a new segment called Analog where she went into how great Tropico 5 is and 3 other games you might want to check out. To me it seemed like gamers talking to other gamers about games - not trending headlines about what shit Cliffy B just tweeted or something.

FStop7

Banned
I enjoy Chris Watters, Erick Tay and, of course, Mr. Daniel O'Dwyer.

Starting to get a bit of a 2007-2008 1UP vibe from GS. Something that's been sorely missing.

OchreHand

I agree, their content is amazing.

And Danny is always awesome. I still watch his old content like when he played Bus Simulator.

Garraboa

I just wish they were thorough in keeping some of their very old links still active (lots of videos have been lost because of this).

Lingitiz

Once they acquired Giant Bomb and got Danny on board, they started skewing towards video content and giving a face to their editors. Their staff is so big that it'll never really be ideal, but they are at least adjusting to the changing role of video game press.

I still really like their E3 stage shows too, although they could definitely do with condensing things a bit better. Their news section, however, needs some serious overhauling. All they do is repost news in a really bland fashion and they publish way too many rumors.

Pudge

Danny started mixing in with that Giant Bomb gene pool and now Gamespot is on point. Coincidence? I think not.

yep. i remember gamespot suddenly just losing to ign in terms of views and clicks about 5, 6 years ago.

good to see them trying their best to get back to being the gaming website they once was.

that no man's sky featurette was really well done.

Would be lying if I said I didn't start going there due to the corporate crossovers with GB, but, it's working and I've been paying much more attention to articles/videos even if they don't feature the man, Mr. O'Dwyer.

The No Man's Sky videos were just out of the park fantastic stuff.

GolazoDan

Danny's great. Chris Watters seems like a nice guy too. Still a lot of robots at that site though. That's partly why Danny's such a breath of fresh air.

Top Bottom