• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |SPOILER THREAD| Something Good, Something Bad, A Bit of Both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

iKHzBzxr1QnO6.png

im0WMlZ4FWfqc.png

This thread is home to UNMARKED spoilers for Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. If you don't want anything spoiled for you, please redirect yourself to the normal Official Thread by clicking the link below. I'm dead serious, don't come crying to me if you spoil the movie for yourself.

tumblr_n8rn0iRGaC1rwtl3wo2_500.gif

LIKE IN THE OT, I'D LIKE TO GIVE A HUGE GALACTIC-SIZED THANKS TO (BASED) QUICK FOR ALL OF THE VISUALS. STAY GOLD, BRO!

iH2Qi9xE8YTvM.png

Saw a spoiler on SHH that I really hope isn't true. Not a specific plot point like, say, MCU Quill being Thanos' son or Gamora dying or something like that, but more a certain action beat that happens during the climax.

Ronan's ship crashes into Xandar. Haven't we gotten enough massive CG city destruction in blockbuster climaxes lately?

Dalek

Saw a spoiler on SHH that I really hope isn't true. Not a specific plot point like, say, MCU Quill being Thanos' son or Gamora dying or something like that, but more a certain action beat that happens during the climax.

Ronan's ship crashes into Xandar. Haven't we gotten enough massive CG city destruction in blockbuster climaxes lately?

All you would have to do is watch a commercial lately to see that rumor is true. They show it in the first scene of the commercial.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I don't care if
its another city destruction sequence, that sounds awesome from a narrative and MCU perspective.

Platy

GiJoe2 had a MASSIVE london destruction .... and it kinda treated like it was nothing =P

Also WTF at thanos' son

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
isnt this thread for unmarked spoilers? so...why the tags?

anyway, do we know anything about who
Nathan Fillion
is playing?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The first real spoilers in this thread!

Cameos revealed:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cameos-71908/

Otherwise, here’s what we’ve learned: Stan Lee will have his customary cameo, this time as the ‘Xandarian Ladies’ Man;’ browncoat favorite Nathan Fillion will be dolled up as ‘Monstrous Inmate;’ musician Rob Zombie lends his voice as the ‘Ravager Navigator Voice;’ and writer/director James Gunn himself will appear in the film as one of the ‘Maskless Sakaaran.’

Also appearing in the film, though not a cameo, is actor Fred the dog who assumes the role of Cosmo.

But saving perhaps the best for last… we’re not exactly sure what it means yet — if anything — but while he couldn’t get himself a 25th anniversary Blu-ray (and not from lack of trying), Marvel legend Howard the Duck is somewhere to be found in the film. This inference comes from a line in the end titles that credits co-creators Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik. Whether it’s just a film/comic Peter Quill was familiar with before he was abducted from Earth or we’re about to have a new entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is just about anyone’s guess. But with San Diego Comic-Con just around the corner…

Dat
Marvel/Lucasfilm corporate synergy...

The first real spoilers in this thread!

Cameos revealed:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cameos-71908/

Otherwise, here’s what we’ve learned: Stan Lee will have his customary cameo, this time as the ‘Xandarian Ladies’ Man;’ browncoat favorite Nathan Fillion will be dolled up as ‘Monstrous Inmate;’ musician Rob Zombie lends his voice as the ‘Ravager Navigator Voice;’ and writer/director James Gunn himself will appear in the film as one of the ‘Maskless Sakaaran.’

Also appearing in the film, though not a cameo, is actor Fred the dog who assumes the role of Cosmo.

But saving perhaps the best for last… we’re not exactly sure what it means yet — if anything — but while he couldn’t get himself a 25th anniversary Blu-ray (and not from lack of trying), Marvel legend Howard the Duck is somewhere to be found in the film. This inference comes from a line in the end titles that credits co-creators Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik. Whether it’s just a film/comic Peter Quill was familiar with before he was abducted from Earth or we’re about to have a new entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is just about anyone’s guess. But with San Diego Comic-Con just around the corner…

Dat
Marvel/Lucasfilm corporate synergy...

Um, that character was originally a Marvel character.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/0...eluxe-edition-soundtrack-score-album-details/

The full track listing for the score has been revealed:

Disc 1:

Content of Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1

Disc 2:

1. Morag
2. The Final Battle Begins
3. Plasma Ball
4. Quill’s Big Retreat
5. To the Stars
6. Ronan’s Theme
7. Everyone’s an Idiot
8. What a Bunch of A-Holes
9. Busted
10. The New Meat
11. The Destroyer
12. Sanctuary
13. The Kyln Escape
14. Don’t Mess With My Walkman
15. The Great Companion
16. The Road to Knowhere
17. The Collector
18. Ronan’s Arrival
19. The Pod Chase
20. Sacrifice
21. We All Got Dead People
22. The Ballad of the Nova Corps. (Instrumental)
23. Groot Spores
24. Guardians United
25. The Big Blast
26. Groot Cocoon
27. Black Tears
28. Citizens Unite
29. A Nova Upgrade

Does the last track set up
a Nova film
???

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That last track...

... I have wondered for a while if something would drop in the film to indicate
the Nova Corps had, or would one day create, an elite class of trooper with a Centurion class power suit.

TEJ

So, I started reading my first guardians of the galaxy comic in anticipation of the film.

A question for anybody who has seen the movie or has been following it more closely than me, does
lylla or wal rus
make a cameo, or mentioning?

Showaddy

So yeah from the score
The Ballad of the Nova Corps
&
A Nova Upgrade
kinda suggests we're getting a certain moment from
Annihilation.

J10

Banned
Based on that soundtrack, I'm guessing that none of the Novas have any actual powers in this movie, but it ends with them gaining access to what they'll eventually call the Nova Force. It might revolve around the Infinity Stone and the Worldmind.

Dalek

Based on that soundtrack, I'm guessing that none of the Novas have any actual powers in this movie, but it ends with them gaining access to what they'll eventually call the Nova Force. It might revolve around the Infinity Stone and the Worldmind.

That's a good point-I can't believe I've never noticed this, but we don't see any of the Nova Corps using powers. What's the point?

I hope so. Don't understand what the point of introducing Novas to the MCU is if you do so in a way that doesn't really allow for Richard Rider (or Sam Alexander, sorry haters) to exist, at least not in anything resembling his comics incarnation.

I remember someone posted the upgrade thing being Nebula, not Nova. Guess it's Nova, though.

I wonder what the Collector's motivations are. Going by the Thor 2 bit, seems like he's obviously on the side of Thanos. But in some of the recent ads you seems him showing the Guardians worlds being destroyed. I'm guessing he puts them on the path to save the galaxy.

Dalek

I remember someone posted the upgrade thing being Nebula, not Nova. Guess it's Nova, though.

I wonder what the Collector's motivations are. Going by the Thor 2 bit, seems like he's obviously on the side of Thanos. But in some of the recent ads you seems him showing the Guardians worlds being destroyed. I'm guessing he puts them on the path to save the galaxy.

Being that this IS a spoiler thread...

My daughter has the kids book for this called The Battle of Knowhere, it says that the Guardians go to him on Knowhere for help with the Orb. He tells them about it and then it says The Collector's assistant touches the Orb and it causes an explosion. Soon after Ronan and his minions arrive on Knowhere to get the Orb and encounter The Guardians.

Not much detail, but it sounds like The Collector alerts Ronan to their presence.

RedStep

Being that this IS a spoiler thread...

My daughter has the kids book for this called The Battle of Knowhere, it says that the Guardians go to him on Knowhere for help with the Orb. He tells them about it and then it says The Collector's assistant touches the Orb and it causes an explosion. Soon after Ronan and his minions arrive on Knowhere to get the Orb and encounter The Guardians.

Not much detail, but it sounds like The Collector alerts Ronan to their presence.

Interesting, sounds like another version of the scene from TRON: Legacy where they visit Zuse. I wonder if it ends the same way (hope not, I'd like BDT to stick around for a while).

In the extended prison clip online Gamora says she was after the Orb not for Thanos but a 3rd party, my guess is The Collector. Me thinks if he even survives this movie he won't last long, being on the wrong side of Thanos.

J10

Banned
Please tell me all the details on thanos. How did he look / sound ?

This is the spoiler thread. I'm not tagging this shit. Look away if you don't want to see this.

He looks like a God. Golden armor, sitting on a floating throne in the middle of Sanctuary. He's very calm and cold, kind of gruff speaking, emotionless. He makes two appearances in the movie, one very early on in the flesh and one near the beginning of the third act via Skype.

He looks different than he did in the Avengers. A much lighter shade of purple skin, broader looking chin.

Anything specific you wanna know, just ask.

This is the spoiler thread. I'm not tagging this shit. Look away if you don't want to see this.

He looks like a God. Golden armor, sitting on a floating throne in the middle of Sanctuary. He's very calm and cold, kind of gruff speaking, emotionless. He makes two appearances in the movie, one very early on in the flesh and one near the beginning of the third act via Skype.

He looks different than he did in the Avengers. A much lighter shade of purple skin, broader looking chin.

Anything specific you wanna know, just ask.

Sounds great. He doesn't move around at all, just sits? I remember reading about mocap work.

Also: Do they try to tie the movie in with the rest of the MCU? If so, how?

J10

Banned
Sounds great. He doesn't move around at all, just sits? I remember reading about mocap work.

Also: Do they try to tie the movie in with the rest of the MCU? If so, how?

He sits, he leans forward.

Aside from Thanos, you will see the Tesseract, The Aether, and the other four Infinity Stones here. Best thing about this movie's stone - it actually LOOKS like a fucking Infinity Gem they way you know them. Small purple gem encased in a metal orb . They don't say explicitly which gem it is, but given the way it's used, my guess is it's either Time or Reality. Honestly can't be too sure right now.

Is it true that there is a Howard the Duck cameo?

If there was, I missed it. I think that might be a post credits scene. If it was the bar scene, there was a lot going on and it would have been easy to miss there.

Dalek

Is Groot's sacrifice moving or quick? Is there indeed the scene where Rocket plants him in a pot?

Any other Marvel cameos? Any mention of Adams Warlock's cocoon in the Collector's hideout?

J10

Banned
Is Groot's sacrifice moving or quick? Is there indeed the scene where Rocket plants him in a pot?

Groot is going to break your heart. Rocket does indeed manage to salvage him.

Any other Marvel cameos? Any mention of Adams Warlock's cocoon in the Collector's hideout?

Cosmo is being held in one of The Collector's trophy cases. The cocoon is also there briefly. I spotted a dark elf as well.

Dalek

At the end of the movie, do the guardians have a "mission" like head to Earth or find Thanos, anything like that?

J10

Banned
Also is The Collector working for Thanos or on his own? Considering he now has two of the six gems.

For himself, as far as I'm aware. A post credits scene might yet reveal otherwise.

Does Ronan ever use his hammer to cancel someone's gravity/remove the pull of gravity on them?

No. He does a couple of really gruesome things with it though, one that happens off camera. The one thing is kind of a gravity effect, the other is just a Gallagher.

Dalek

Oh! One final one. I'm really wanting to take my daughter to see this and she's six. Being that it's PG-13 my wife is weary. In your opinion is it too violent for little kids or is it Star Wars like "space violence"?

J10

Banned
At the end of the movie, do the guardians have a "mission" like head to Earth or find Thanos, anything like that?

Nah, the movie is pretty self contained. They fly off into the sunset together.

EDIT: Actually, I'm half lying. Drax says at the very end: "Ronan was just a puppet. It's Thanos I need to kill." I was happy about that.

Oh! One final one. I'm really wanting to take my daughter to see this and she's six. Being that it's PG-13 my wife is weary. In your opinion is it too violent for little kids or is it Star Wars like "space violence"?

Well, there is no blood, or at least no red blood. There's a lot of shooting, explosions, a few kicks to some heads. Groot gets fucked up a lot and I could see that bothering some kids because you're immediately attached to him. They say "shit" a couple of times.

Dalek

Nah, the movie is pretty self contained. They fly off into the sunset together.

EDIT: Actually, I'm half lying. Drax says at the very end: "Ronan was just a puppet. It's Thanos I need to kill." I was happy about that.

Well, there is no blood, or at least no red blood. There's a lot of shooting, explosions, a few kicks to some heads. Groot gets fucked up a lot and I could see that bothering some kids because you're immediately attached to him. They say "shit" a couple of times.

Does Rocket say "fucking" guardians of the galaxy?

J10

Banned
No. They never call themselves that in the movie. The only person who says it is Ronan, mockingly, just as he's about to push everybody's shit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom