• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 games could come to PS Now

jwk94

"We are also currently considering measures to offer original PlayStation, PS2 and PS4 titles in the future, but at this time, only PS3 titles are being offered."

http://kotaku.com/well-heres-a-bett..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Kotaku got a better response about yesterday's question. So would you guys be willing to play PS4 games through PS Now? From what I've played so far, performance is great on my end so I wouldn't mind if the catalog was good enough.

PS1 and PS2 via PSNow sounds like the worst possible use of streaming and a generally terrible idea.

Ps4 games seem like the true goal of the service moving forward.

fedexpeon

Banned
The PS3 games are garbage to gamers like me who already played/bought a majority of their titles.
Looking at my download list, I can tell you that right now I would rather play PS1/PS2 era games instead...But I can always buy them straight up on the PS3 anyway...

My PS3 will never die huh? Dammit Sony...the PS3 is such a great overall media device.
Copy everything from the PS3 so I can kill it off Sony! I want to use my PS4 more than my PS3.

Same. Even GameFly is a way better option.

Gamefly doesn't need an 'even'. It's a fantastic option. I've had it for many years and I always get the latest games in my list, not to mention I can keep them for cheaper than retail if I feel like it, and for only 20 a month for 2 games at a time it means I save a lot of money considering how much I game.

I don't want to sound like an ad, but man power to the gamers drink the dew doritos cheesausurus rex I can't recommend Gamefly enough.

It's just the prices that matter. Sony knows this, it's just a matter of publishers playing nice. Which realistically won't happen because they know what's going to happen if PS Now is successful. Just look at how much Hollywood hates Netflix.

Lrrr

I'd rather see PS4 games come to PS+ instead of this continuous stream of indie PC games, but that's just me.

jwk94

PS1 and PS2 via PSNow sounds like the worst possible use of streaming and a generally terrible idea.

Ps4 games seem like the true goal of the service moving forward.
Why?

I'd rather see PS4 games come to PS+ instead of this continuous stream of indie PC games, but that's just me.

And you think they won't offer indie games on PS Now? Those are also PS4 games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Better response. . ." They got the exact same response anyone not dogged for a specific sentence could have figured out from the previous non-comment.

Kodros

I'm not willing to play anything on PS Now at those prices.

Have you even looked at the prices? There's plenty of games on there that are like $7 for 30 days. There's a couple that are priced really badly but overall it's reasonable.

Darksiders 2 for 30 days is slightly cheaper than buying it new or renting it from Gamefly.

I'm confused on what Sony wants with this service now. I mean I know they can probably make a bunch of money on people "renting" the game but wouldn't they actually want physical sales? I mean yes its renting so I guess if someone ended up liking whatever game they tried they would go ahead and buy it but, I don't know. Options are good though so that's nice, even if PSNow ain't for me.

I thought they were mainly selling this as a service for older PS games though.

Yeah can I ask why it even makes sense to push PS1 games via the service? PS1 games aren't large and in the long run, the bandwidth would be more expensive to stream them. I get emulation isn't perfect but Sony has no problem using it. Just seems silly.

icespide

Banned
no real surround sound is kind of a deal breaker for me with PSNow. other than that it seems to work pretty great

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wouldn't it still be cheaper to just rent the game from a store or redbox? Also you wouldn't have to deal with the input lag.

Dunlop

PS4 games coming to the service eliminates the need to actually own a PS4 console.

You would be able to play the games on any platform that supports the service which seems rather self destructive to me (assuming they are making a profit on the consoles by now).

I think I'm a little more open to games being Netflix-ified these days, if the tech capability is up to decent quality. I'm finding I have less time and space for consoles these days, so if the future is leading to playing games regardless of publisher on one of multiple different types of devices, I'd be interested in knowing more. The old me would have been vehemently against this.

Would I spend my money at current PSnow prices just to rent a ps4 game that isn't going to perform as well as a digital or retail copy?

No

Valnen

I'm not willing to play anything on PS Now at those prices.

I notice a lot of the games are about a dollar a day if you pick the week option which is comparable to old rental shops like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. It's also cheaper than renting a game from Redbox for a week. I'd still prefer a subscription though.

My biggest problem with PSnow isn't even price anymore, it's the way it handles save data/DLC. You seemingly have no way of using save data you might actually already have, even if you have it backed up via PS+. Instead according to the disclaimers, it saves to the PS Now servers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But why? Why not just improve Playgo and download them and play them locally?
because you can stream them to more than just PS4s. Buy a PSTV for $99 and get access to PS4 games? Could be useful for price sensitive households (with unlimited fast broadband...)

And then later on bravia TVs, bluray players, maybe tablets?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But why? Why not just improve Playgo and download them and play them locally?

You can't download PS4 games onto an iPad.

PSNow would indeed be pretty pointless if the target was existing PS owners. But it's not. It's about bringing PS games to people on whatever device they have rather than forcing people to buy a proprietary device to consume PS software.

Hopefully they get the PSNow client onto the broader range of devices soon, to make this more obvious to people. I think TVs/mobile was or is planned by year end.

Suero_D

Neo Member
They should scrap ps now. The ps4 has the ability to emulate the ps1/2 perfectly. They can also wait till the ps3 emulator is running great on the pc side and try to see if they can port that to the ps4.

Kodros

They should scrap ps now. The ps4 has the ability to emulate the ps1/2 perfectly. They can also wait till the ps3 emulator is running great on the pc side and try to see if they can port that to the ps4.

Yeah, no. That's a terrible idea. Why would you wait to emulate (probably badly) the PS3 when you already spent millions in the tech of PSNow and can properly play PS3 games at the moment.

Not to mention future possibilities for this tech. For example, being able to demo a game immediately. Renting a PS4 game for a few hours to play multiplayer with a friend. And other cool stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Hexa

I notice a lot of the games are about a dollar a day if you pick the week option which is comparable to old rental shops like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. It's also cheaper than renting a game from Redbox for a week. I'd still prefer a subscription though.

My biggest problem with PSnow isn't even price anymore, it's the way it handles save data/DLC. You seemingly have no way of using save data you might actually already have, even if you have it backed up via PS+. Instead according to the disclaimers, it saves to the PS Now servers.

Wait what? Did they change it? During the second (or maybe third) phase of the closed beta it added the ability to copy over saves from your PS+ folder to the PSNow folder and vice versa. You had to open a game, open XMB, and then go to the saves folder, which closes the game, and lets you copy game saves back and forth. I haven't used it since it went paid, but it seems strange they'd take a feature out. :/

Here's a forum post by the community manager for the beta:

Thank you for participating in the PlayStation Now Private Beta. We wanted to inform you of a recent update which allows you to use your save data via the PlayStation Plus online storage when playing games in the PlayStation Now Private Beta.

This feature allows you to upload your save data from the XMB menu in the PlayStation Now Private Beta to the PlayStation Plus online storage and then download directly to your PS3. You can also take save data from the XMB menu that has been uploaded to the PlayStation Plus online storage and access it in the PlayStation Now Private Beta.

Your feedback is important to us so please share your thoughts on this new feature in the PlayStation Now Private Beta forums.

I'm more interested in playing earlier generations through PS Now, I get my PS4 games from Gamefly, but I think making PS4 games available is a good idea.

Clockwork

I just want to be able to delete my play history.

Right now I have to see that at some time during beta I bothered to try Choplifter and Space Ace.

because you can stream them to more than just PS4s. Buy a PSTV for $99 and get access to PS4 games? Could be useful for price sensitive households (with unlimited fast broadband...)

Bingo. PSNow doesn't actually seem like a good idea until you consider this.
$4.99 for four hours of gameplay isn't a great deal, but $4.99 for four hours of gameplay without having to buy a console in the first place is an amazing deal.

If all you're interested in is checking out one or two flagship games, the cost is only $20 or so, not $20 plus the cost of a console.

LAA

I don't understand... why offer PS4 games through PS Now... Don't Sony want to sell consoles?

Doesnt sound good to those who bought consoles either, (Not that I mind, I prefer local and I love the system), the only plus side I see for sony are the doors are opened to everyone who has a Internet connection and certain devices (for now at least it seems), so more sales games wise.

I just don't understand how it helps sony to offer PS4 games for PS Now... at least as long as PS4 is the latest console from Sony.

KiraXD

Same. Even GameFly is a way better option.

PSNow has the worst pricing ever. seriously my hype for it dropped once they came out with those prices... i will NEVER rent a game for 3months for 50 fucking dollars (or 30$)... are they insane!?

advice for everyone... dont buy anything on PSNow... if you REALLY want to play FFXIII-2

go buy it brand new cheaper than a 30day rental... seriously how can sony think that people will pay these prices when services like gamefly are cheaper and better?

Dante316

If they offer a ps4 games, sony is maybe thinking about moving away from hardware revenue and into software revenue. This is still many years away of course. But it does lead to the fact PS6 might be a stream box. Ps5 would definitely be a hardware system. Sony might be think 20 yrs ahead that is all.

Price sensitive households with unlimited broadband, bravia tvs, bluray players, and $200+ tablets? Hmm...

Because at those rates, they'll make MORE money off PS Now than they would selling PS4 units and physical/DD PS4 games.

exactly. manufacturing consoles makes them very little money- it's typically a money loser, made up by profits on games and services, and the cost of the console is a barrier to entry for a lot of people. If all you want to play is final fantasy XV, it might not be worth it to buy a $400 console then a $60 game on top of it.

by eliminating the "box" part of the equation, they broaden the potential base substantially. This is definitely where things will be going eventually.

I would pay anything for Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed

ANYTHING!!!!
D:<

but then lag may be an issue

The input lag is minimal (its very hard to notice) as long as you have a decent connection. I tested Zone of the Enders 2 and Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2.

Aside from the prices I suppose for some folks, the quality of the actual service is great.

Duh? I mean, of course, the whole point of PSNow is to be able to play games on devices that can't run them locally. It's only natural that PS4 games would eventually make their way onto the service.

Will they make it day one (and by that I mean the day of a particular game's release)? Probably not. For PS4 games I could see Sony delaying their PSNow debut for a few weeks or more, much like movies start in cinemas and move their way onto DVD and online services after a while. Makes a certain sense; get the diehards who'll pay full price and want an uncompromised experience first, then widen the potential market massively. It could even be a PS4 upsell eventually--like the game and want to own it? Only on PS4, you Bravia prole!*

It's inevitable, and I think it'll happen long before the PS5 arrives (assuming it does at all).

No one who owns a Bravia is a prole. Some of those things are hella expensive, man.

Top Bottom