• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I Want To Win This Generation,' Says Xbox Boss Phil Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocoworm

Spencer isn't afraid to talk the talk.

Click link for FULL article.

'I Want To Win This Generation,' Says Xbox Boss Phil Spencer

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/12/i-want-to-win-this-generation-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

"At some level, it is a competition, and I've said before I want to win," Spencer tells us. "At the same time, I want to build a great platform for gamers. If somebody else does that to, and they do really well? Hats off to them, but I can have success in our own space if we're selling a lot of consoles and people are buying games."

Spencer knows that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will continue to be compared. "We shipped at the same time and we're in direct competition with the PS4," he admits. "I'm not going to duck that. I want to win. I want to win this generation, but I want to win more than I want the other guy to lose. I own a PS4, and it's not like I want it to get dusty or not have games. But I do want to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, and for many people that's a direct competition with the PS4. As the Xbox team, we are the underdog."

He acknowledges that his team is building its momentum against a Sony that currently is rolling forward. "They beat us in June. They beat us in May," Spencer says. "These months are small if you look at the sales. I think the whole month of June is about one week in November. They're winning, and they'll do their PR around it, and that makes sense. The battle is really September, October, November, and December."

The Xbox team is looking ahead to a big fall with Forza Horizon 2, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, and Ori and the Blind Forest. Microsoft may not complete its recovery in 2014, but for Spencer, the generation is only just beginning.

Spongebob

Banned
“History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle." - Don Mattrick

Slowdive

Banned
"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle." - Don Mattrick, May 2008

Edit: Damn it!

Can't we all just play games and enjoy them, regardless of platform?

EDIT

Judging by the Mattrick quotes, apparently not. Dude says he wants everyone to be able to play games on their platform of choice. I'm sure people will still act as if Xbox is the devil incarnate.

DryvBy

Buying Tomb Raider exclusivity (for a limited time), then being hush hush until 24-hours later, THEN still being hush hush... that's not how to win.

Can't we all just play games and enjoy them, regardless of platform?

EDIT

Judging by the Mattrick quotes, apparently not. Dude says he wants everyone to be able to play games on their platform of choice. I'm sure GAF will still act as if Xbox is the devil incarnate.

bububu then how will i shit on everything that isn't my flavor-of-the-month platform choice?

so why are you guys quoting Don?

didnt you all give him hate for not knowing what he was talking about and making poor decisions?

Mononoke

Banned
I'm cool with that. And I hope MS continues to be aggressive by investing in more IPs, and securing exclusive third party new IPs. But less of the sequel sniping that takes away an established franchise from the majority of gamers that are already invested in it on other platforms. That shit needs to go away.

RoKKeR

Snark incoming.

At least he is out saying it. Even though there is now some sort of Phil Spencer backlash going on I truly believe he is about the games and wants to push Xbox as a games console, something they've been true to ever since he took over.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
good, playstation lighting a fire under their ass has really kicked them into overdrive. I like it.

Alienous

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom