• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransactions detailed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm unsure what else there is since "pretty much" implies an additional element, but this is presumably most of it.

OXM said:
Assassin's Creed: Unity is the latest game to let you "fast track" an unlocks system by spending real money, Ubisoft has revealed at Gamescom 2014. Speaking to OXM after a presentation, senior producer Vincent Pontbriand commented that this is "pretty much" as far as microtransactions go in the game, and assured us that the developer won't adopt such models unless they make sense with the experience.

Exactly how the system works has yet to be explained in full - the build I saw wasn't final - but it appears that you can spend money to "hack" unlocks such as gear rather than earning them through play.
Source: http://www.totalxbox.com/80327/assassins-creed-unity-wont-be-compromised-by-its-microtransactions/?

Jhn

I don't mind these kinds of "shortcut kits" much.
If anyone wants to buy their way to less playtime, that's fine by me.

Shit sucks but it could be worse. At least there isn't competitive multiplayer for this one.. Pay to unlock would be even more annoying.

Alienous

Thanks. If the game isn't fun, I'll sure as hell want to shortcut it.

It's like they have no clue how bad this is for good game design.

Nugg

I'm 100% fine with this kind of stuff in a single player environnement. People want to spend money on this? Who am I to judge, as long as it doesn't affect my game (and assuming that the game is balanced for people who doesn't pay for this).

Edit: AC4 had stuff like that. The regular way wasn't especially slow. It was on par with what we're used to find in this kind of game.

ThatZedWord

Neo Member
AC4's mission feedback system makes sense now. Buy the 'Did you hear that?' pack for $9.99 to skip all eavesdropping missions.

BigDug13

That says to me the journey to unlock shit is an obstacle and not a natural progression of playing the game. Is a chore and isn't a fun process.

Embearded

Why on earth buy a game and then pay more, in order to get stuff that you were supposed to get through playing....
I see it guys...ohh I see the future...ten years from now it is...they will be selling us end game cutscenes and credits...

Vuze

I don't care what these microtransactions do, if they want me to pay 70€ for their game, leave that shit out.

MilesTeg

Banned
Not sure who would want to do this. The games are a cakewalk the whole way through. Unless of course they have altered the progression system.

Omni

I don't have a problem with this kind of stuff. If people want to spend money to fast track things then I don't see a reason complain about it. I've certainly done it in the past

As long as it's not a requirement then it's not a big deal

rawd

Why on earth buy a game and then pay more, in order to get stuff that you were supposed to get through playing....
I see it guys...ohh I see the future...ten years from now it is...they will be selling us end game cutscenes and credits...

Nailed it

Morat

Banned
I don't have a problem with this kind of stuff. If people want to spend money to fast track things then I don't see a reason complain about it. I've certainly done it in the past

The reason this IS an issue, apart from being an obnoxious business practice in of itself, is that the game will naturally be balanced in such a way as to make spending money more desirable than progressing naturally, thereby leading to a worse game. Secondly, there should be absolutely no tolerance of micortransactions in a full priced game.

I don't understand this viewpoint, really. Fact is that if the option for microtransactions wasn't there, then everything would unlock quicker because the developer would be after your goodwill instead of your money and so the game would be balanced with the player in mind.

This just punishes everyone for the few whales who want to go wild with daddy's credit card.

While I despise this being done, as long as I can play the game unhindered it has no real bearing.
I don't understand this viewpoint, really. Fact is that if the option for microtransactions wasn't there, then everything would unlock quicker because the developer would be after your goodwill instead of your money and so the game would be balanced with the player in mind.

This just punishes everyone for the few whales who want to go wild with daddy's credit card.

Dead Space 3 wasn't like that though, and from what I hear Ryse as well. There's a lot of shitty development practices out there in regards to micro transactions, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

They already had this in MP for AC4.

For repeatable microtransactions, yup.

And they also had unlocks you could buy to reveal every chest, too, and unlock all the upgrades. You still had to GET TO the chests and BUY the upgrades (In-game currency, of course), though.

It's fair. And I don't think it's an issue of bad balance. I never had a problem with the speed how I leveled up in AC4. The other issue is there are impatient motherfuckers out there that just want to throw money at problems. The impulse kiddies.

I work with programmers, who live alone, rarely go on dates, don't save for retirement or invest in anything. They spend thousands of dollars a month on games. There are tons of these manchildren out there. They want to spend another $5 to get through this quicker.

What if the game become worse because of it in mind. Just check the mobile games, they are crippled by design.

I don't care as long as it doesn't hinder my game. However now it makes me wonder...Maybe I'm later to this but, is this a way for publishers to fluff the gaming hours a game will have? By purposely making slower upgrading abilities and forcing you to buy in game currencies?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Future: Work at your daily chore to pay to avoid chores in your favourite home entertainment.

Einbroch

Banned
For those people saying "this is fine as long as it doesn't affect my game..."

IT DOES AFFECT YOUR GAME.

It MAY affect your game.

Did you play AC4? It had the same number of collectathon junk that the previous games had, and it had microtransactions in single player whereas the previous games did not.

ttech10

I don't mind these kinds of "shortcut kits" much.
If anyone wants to buy their way to less playtime, that's fine by me.

Yep. This sort of thing doesn't bother me. They get money from people who want to cheat themselves out of the game or simply don't want to fully experience the game.

As for slow unlock system, I completely welcome that. I always found I had everything possible within the first few missions and the game after that was a bore because I knew I didn't have any unlocks to look forward to. Slow unlocks can't be any worse than having money in the six figures with nothing to spend it on and still half the story to go.

iNvid02

black flag had those "time saver packs" and wasnt longer than usual, no reason not to believe the same wont apply to the clothing in here.

Top Bottom