• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransactions detailed

The gear in Assassins Creed has traditionally never been overly difficult to obtain through gameplay. In fact, since ACII I've found myself in each game with more money than I knew what to do with. Money has just been... get money so you can buy and sell things for the sole purpose of getting even more money to buy and sell things with. Even in Black Flag I'm loaded- and they had the ship upgrades.

So if people want to get a headstart, that's fine by me. I'm sure I'll have the same gear like an hour later without opening my wallet.

chaosaeon

2016 : Skip boss fight - $1.99
2017 : $2.99 - Credits play after opening cinematic. Congrats you beat the game !
2018 : $9.99 - Platinum Trophy.

2019 : Publishers swallowed by simultaneous sinkholes around the globe. The Red Cross and the UN are discussing pricing options for rescue operations.

It get grindy once you get passed level 50. And the multiplayer in Unity is just the SP. There's no difference between the progression of either.
I meant grinding for the gears. Granted they're all cosmetic stuff.

Yar, that's just it. I'm afraid the fact that they're integrated might affect the game's normal SP progression.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I meant grinding for the gears. Granted they're all cosmetic stuff.

Yar, that's just it. I'm afraid the fact that they're integrated might affect the game's normal SP progression.
Unless the campaign has erudito credits I don't think we have reason to worry.

woen

It didn't affect past games, actually lots of people still don't know about it because it's well hidden. It buys time to people who have money and not the time to play. As long as it keeps not affecting the overall design for others who don't pay (with limited micro-transactions), there's no way to yell at them. Didn't feel it in AC3 or AC4 (yep, even the metal parts for the ship).

Probably already been said but,

The problem isn't that Ubi are doing this, best of luck to them, it's the fact there are enough smucks in this would to make it worthwhile for Ubi to be doing this. I mean, jes, come on people!

When I come to playing the game, if the microtransaction system actually has a negative impact on regular gameplay and advancement I'll stop playing completely and that'd be the end of the AC series for me.

I've no problem with Ubi doing this, and making as much money selling snake oil as they can, so long as the end game is fullyplayable to completetion without being forced to use microtransactions to bypass artificially slow progression.

Demoehere

Banned
I don't mind these kinds of "shortcut kits" much.
If anyone wants to buy their way to less playtime, that's fine by me.

Do you realize this is a design choice? Developers intentionally make games grindy so that you have to pay to unlock things faster.

Demoehere

Banned
José Mourinho;125644526 said:
You don't have to do anything.

You have to pay to unlock things faster. You can choose not pay and grind it out but my point still stands. I can't believe people are warming up to the idea of micro transactions in $60 games. It objectively makes the game worse.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You have to pay to unlock things faster. You can choose not pay and grind it out but my point still stands. I can't believe people are warming up to the idea of micro transactions in $60 games. It objectively makes the game worse.
AC games always have natural progression. AC3, and AC4 did. They weren't designed with microtransactions in mind and we shouldn't assume that Unity is being designed with microtransactions in mind.

EGM1966

So paid cheats? So long as the game is properly balanced then I don't care or mind if those that want to blow additional money to get a set of fancy pistols early do so.

If there's any hint the access rate via normal play has been negatively impact to encourage you to accelerate the process then I'm gonna be mad.

Apologies, that is correct. If you want things faster, sure. But you get to make that call.

Also, how can you say the game is objectively worse for having optional micro-transactions? It is your assumption that the game is designed to push the player toward paying. That's fine if you can prove that to be true. Personally, I don't buy it. Any amount of games were grindfests long before the the inception of micro-transactions. Just because grinders now come with the choice of paying your way to completion does not mean they were created with that goal in mind.

Perhaps there's an argument to be made for micro-transactions spawning grindy games. I just think it's more than likely the other way around.

Top Bottom