• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Fan Noise

Darkgran

I have had it for about a week and have noticed that the fan is really loud when playing a game. Should I expect it to be silent or is this normal?

I also had a weird issue in game when it was trying to change resolutions on me.

sikkinixx

When I play TLOU it sounds pretty fucking loud. Not jet-engine-OG-360 loud, but a bit annoying. Towerfall etc though it's quiet.

Gotta love dat Gen 1 hardware.

It makes some noise, it's normal.

Make sure it has enough ventilation. I cleared some extra space around mine recently and it made it noticeably quieter. I've never had any issues even with the fan ramping up, though.

I've said this before but mine is so quiet I constantly get paranoid the fans aren't working at all and have to hold my hand next to it to make sure I feel air blowing out.

Mine fan isn't loud, but there's a very irritating rattle from the power cable whenever a disc is spinning up. Could it possibly be that? Cause I think cable rattle is fairly normal.

Handy Fake

Put something soft under the PS4 and see if that helps at all.

TLOUR had ours sounding like a JCB trying to get up a muddy hill, turned out it was vibrating the TV stand it was on with an effect not unlike an acoustic chamber.

This was the first thing I noticed when I started playing on mine. Just make sure it has a lot of ventilation. I have to keep my entertainment cabinet open while playing.

BuBBeR

Banned
Got mine yesterday. Playing Resogun the fan kick in a little, nothing very loud but it's hearable. Gonna test Infamous today and see what happens... But the console did not get very hot, which is good.

Mine is completely out in the open and it's as quiet as a mouse. My friend did have a loud fan issue until I advised him to move it out of his cubby. Try putting it out in the open just to be sure?

BumRush

OP, mine sounded like a hair dryer (a little louder). I called Sony and they said that wasn't normal. From doing a little research, it seems as thought it's not normal but it is common. I'd call if I were you. I have to raise my TV's volume just to hear Ellie's awesome jokes.

GameSeeker

My PS4 is very quiet, but I've found through experimentation that you if you put the PS4 in an enclosed space the cooling suffers and you get loud fans.

Make sure you have at least 6 inches of clear space behind the PS4 (the exhaust is rearward). Have at least 3-4 inches free on the left and right sides (assuming the console is horizontal), as air is sucked in from the sides. For even better cooling, place the PS4 on legs to lift it off the surface.

It depends upon the game for me. It can get pretty loud during TLOU, but it is rather quiet while playing mlb the show. It is definitely louder than my XO, but it still isn't bothersome compared to the space shuttle sound that I got from the ps3.

ViolentP

My PS4 was making loud noises one afternoon. Try what I did:

Mute the TV
Get close to the PS4
Listen closely to where the noise is coming from
Realize the noise was coming from the upstairs neighbors

Hope this works for you too.

My fan gets really loud on the title screen of The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid.
But in-game its normal, i barely can hear it then. Don't know why and its always bugging me.

@Wreck

36 month protection plan on sale with plus $44.99 CAD

Non-Accidental Damage 36 Months
Accidental Damage 36 Months

Cuyejo

Mine gets kinda loud while playing TLoU, capping it to 30 fps gets it quiet, understandably.
Though is Killzone SF which puts it in take off mode in some parts, holy shit.

playXray

I have had it for about a week and have noticed that the fan is really loud when playing a game. Should I expect it to be silent or is this normal?

I also had a weird issue in game when it was trying to change resolutions on me.

It may be a coincidence but mine was really loud from launch day. It eventually failed and my replacement is significantly quieter. Not silent my any means, but previously it was almost like a hair dryer at times.

check these before saying its loud:

1- room temperature, it has to be below 25c if you want your PS4 to be bearable.

2- putting it vertically without the official PS4 stand. the main intake vent is blocked if put vertically without the stand. making the fan work much harder to pull air.

3- the no brainer, putting it in a closed space. all the sides should be open. especially the back.

4- playing in a very quiet room, you might find this silly but when the room ambient noise is below 25 dB you can even hear your hand clock ticking.

LiK

Put a few cards under the front left of the machine or adjust the placement of the console. Sound is gone.

Put something soft under the PS4 and see if that helps at all.

TLOUR had ours sounding like a JCB trying to get up a muddy hill, turned out it was vibrating the TV stand it was on with an effect not unlike an acoustic chamber.

this what did with my PS4. obviously it's designed to run properly without them but I placed black PVC pipe that i cut into spacers under the console after it was overheating last week. i'll take them out when the weather cools down.

jszPF4lBElAcQ.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mine only gets loud if it's a disc based copy... digital games dont for some reason. Maybe some of the noise is the HDD?

This. I only play games digitally and I've never heard a peep from my PS4. However, I threw a Blu-Ray movie in the other night and was shocked to hear my PS4 get loud during playback.

SerTapTap

~100W TDP in that enclosed of a space with 1 (I believe) fan? It was never going to be "silent". You shouldn't hear it much over game audio at a reasonable volume, and it shouldn't be very audible idle at the home screen (it is never idle if a game is open, even at the home screen), but it's not remotely a silent device.

edit:
This. I only play games digitally and I've never heard a peep from my PS4. However, I threw a Blu-Ray movie in the other night and was shocked to hear my PS4 get loud during playback.

Disk based games, in my experience, seem to run louder because they're (on average) more graphics intensive (I have stuff like MGS, ISS and TOLU on disk, my digitals are all digital only). After the initial install is finished, you shouldn't hear your Blu Ray drive during gameplay. If you test it out, BD noise is noticeably different from fan noise.

Handy Fake

Talk to me. Cards as in playing cards? Why does it work? Why only front left? Whose left, yours or mine!?!?

Because of the way it's made there's a slight wobble (to maintain airflow I presume). Just prop it up like putting a folded beermat under a pub stool's leg.

TRios Zen

I'm sure this is the case for you, so not calling you out, but I only own digital games and my PS4 is pretty loud. Been playing TLOU recently and surprised at how noticeable fan noise was when I took off headphones.

LiK

Talk to me. Cards as in playing cards? Why does it work? Why only front left? Whose left, yours or mine!?!?

Yes, playin cards or something else similar. The front left is slightly off balance due to how they put those lil cushions. When the disc drive is running, the vibration in that corner hits the surface of the table, stand etc and causes the loud noise. I've had this happen and was perplexed until I found out the reason online. Try my method and you'll be relieved like I was.

I sit mine on top of a side table in open space. Other than booting up and loading from the disc, it's fairly quiet. But, I just transitioned from a George Foreman PS3 so anything that's not a jet engine is quiet to me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fan gets pretty loud on mine sometimes, especially if I forget to open the door on the entertainment system. It's on a shelf in there, partially closed back and blocked sides--but plenty of room around it. It doesn't get all that warm to touch as long as I open the doors. I think just being in their reflects the sound back out and makes it seem louder.

In any case, it's not any louder than my PS3 slim or 360 slim were, so it doesn't bother me. It would probably be quieter out of the cabinet, but I like all my stuff hidden and I have the volume loud (or use headphones) so I don't really notice it while gaming anyway. Just when taking the headphones off to go to the bathroom etc.

Point being, unless it's feeling super hot, I wouldn't worry much about it.

My PS4 gets about as loud as my PS3 Slim last-gen. Noticeable but not terrible. It only really gets LOUD when the drive is in use, but that goes away once installation is done.

FeiRR

Banned
Mine is very loud too. I keep it vertical now with the official stand but had it horizontal for months, no difference really. I also don't have any disc based games, it's definitely the fan. It's a bit annoying but even now with the heatwave of over 30c I used to play a lot and nothing happened besides the noise.

SerTapTap

I had mine this way..open back entertainment center...didnt matter..i moved it to an open space and i dont hear anything anymore.
Mine is a launch ps4

There are side vents too, so open back isn't the only important thing, not sure exactly how important the sides are though.

GRaider81

I worry about this all the time. As you can see i don't have a tonne of room. I have put the Ps4 sideways so the back vent is free but the right side of console is right against wall. The fans don't sound too loud or anything but I do think it gets hot at times.

Not sure how else I can have it.

-griffy-

Banned
Mine gets audible when playing a more intensive game and/or when it's warm in the apartment already (hot out and no AC on), but it's notably quieter compared to my fat PS3 and not distracting over audio of a game/movie.

Top Bottom