• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Fan Noise

BumRush

Yes, playin cards or something else similar. The front left is slightly off balance due to how they put those lil cushions. When the disc drive is running, the vibration in that corner hits the surface of the table, stand etc and causes the loud noise. I've had this happen and was perplexed until I found out the reason online. Try my method and you'll be relieved like I was.

Thanks Lik I'll try it tonight and report back!

Superflat

I have it in a open setup and have had zero audible fans during any of my game sessions.

Spinning disc is the loudest noise my PS4 makes, and it only happens at the starting boot.

I can't hear mine at all.... Maybe when the disc is booting up but that's just the disc spinning/loading. Mine is in a completely open space though.

jonezer4

This. I only play games digitally and I've never heard a peep from my PS4. However, I threw a Blu-Ray movie in the other night and was shocked to hear my PS4 get loud during playback.

Yeah, I've never noticed the fan at all, but never played a disc-based game.

Unstable

I worry about this all the time. As you can see i don't have a tonne of room. I have put the Ps4 sideways so the back vent is free but the right side of console is right against wall. The fans don't sound too loud or anything but I do think it gets hot at times.

Not sure how else I can have it.

I think your fine. My PS4 gets pretty hot and makes a ton of noise and it's sitting out in the open. Granted It's right next to me, so I probably notice it a tad more. I think PS4s just run hot and loud in general.

Mogwai

It's normal for the PS4 fan to rev up during graphics intense games.

People who say that their PS4 is very quiet usually never state what games they play. Is it very quiet all the time in Killzone SF? Infamous SS? TLoU:R?

TRios Zen

Yea, most likely not related to the fans at all. It's the disc drive causing the corner of the console to vibrate.

Sorry, this is completely wrong in my experience. I don't own a disc based game and it get's loud when playing TLOU. Noticeably loud.

Jet engine, interrupting the game loud? Probably not, but you can hear it, and I sit a good 8+ feet from my TV/entertainment center.

I had a PS4 which made a lot of noise and I mean get really really loud while playing any game, Resogun, BF4 even Sound shapes.

It started crashing about 5 minutes into each game. Needless to say I was distressed and got a replacement.

The new one is super silent, I have to strain myself to listen to the fan.
It's never reached the same noise levels and the previous system.

Edit: both systems sit a meter from me.

heffa

Neo Member
my ps4 gets very loud, too. my xbox one stays silent all the time. but that was to be expected i guess...

Mine gets pretty loud when playing TLOU... it's strange certain games seem to affect it more than others.

I also find it weird that the fans still going once it's in standby... but i guess it knows it's still hot and continues to cool it down.

cchum

Mine was louder with the stock HDD or maybe I just moved it to where it wouldn't vibrate when putting back lol

Leb

This was my only disappointment when I saw the PS4 teardown -- they used an 85mm blower-style fan, which at full RPM, is always going to be loud. When I get my PS4, I'm hoping I'll be able to tear out the blower/exhaust apparatus and slap on a nice low-voltage 120mm fan, as I really, really hate fan noise.

Mogwai

Mine gets pretty loud when playing TLOU... it's strange certain games seem to affect it more than others.

I also find it weird that the fans still going once it's in standby... but i guess it knows it's still hot and continues to cool it down.
Graphic intensive games = the PS4 has to work harder = heat generation increase = fan speeds up to cool down the hardware = noise increases

It's that simple. The fan still runs in standby mode as the PSU inside the console is providing power.

shwimpy

Graphic intensive games = the PS4 has to work harder = heat generation increase = fan speeds up to cool down the hardware = noise increases

It's that simple. The fan still runs in standby mode as the PSU inside the console is providing power.
So my PS4 is going to melt trying to play Uncharted 4?

HTK

Banned
My fan started to get loud and then I cleaned the dust around the sides of the system and that was that. Also, sometimes when I play disk based games.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yes it's normal, especially in some games. FFXIV seems to make my PS4 go into overdrive, but in other games it's surprisingly quiet even in some charged scenes.

I don't have Killzone, but i played it at a friend's house on launch day ( after it was installed ), and it was really loud too. Almost original xbox 360 loud.

For the resolutions issue, disable HDCP perhaps? Don't know what to try other than that.

As for the fan noise, sadly yeah. It really depends on the game though. TLOU @ 60fps is annoyingly loud (I'm talking nearly original 360 model loud), so much so that I locked it at 30fps where it runs much more quietly.

Really can't wait for a slim version with a better and quieter fan.

I find mine gets loud but only when playing games off the disc.

This is how it is for me as well. My PS4 is quiet as a mouse with any digital game but as soon as I stick a disc in it starts raging, which doesn't make sense to me since you have to install the game from the disc anyway. Same thing happens with my 360 too though. It's funny that my ONE doesn't make a peep when I'm playing it, even with a disc. It also doesn't spew out hot air like my PS4, PS3 and 360 and make my room sweltering by the end of the night. At least they made one good design decision.

Mogwai

This is how it is for me as well. My PS4 is quiet as a mouse with any digital game but as soon as I stick a disc in it starts raging, which doesn't make sense to me since you have to install the game from the disc anyway. Same thing happens with my 360 too though. It's funny that my ONE doesn't make a peep when I'm playing it, even with a disc. It also doesn't spew out hot air like my PS4, PS3 and 360 and make my room sweltering by the end of the night. At least they made one good design decision.
If you're playing the same game on disc or download, it will create the same load on the system. One version doesn't magically operate differently. The 30 fps limiter has a lot to say in regard to noise.

kyo27

mine was in a tight spot in an entertainment center where the front and sides were open but the back was closed off. It sounded like a jet in there. Moved it to a spot where the back was open and now it's pretty quiet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
audible when reading disks but it doesn't bother me. don't hear it over game audio.

i would think you guys would be used to it by now over three generations of disc base consoles :)

LiK

Sorry, this is completely wrong in my experience. I don't own a disc based game and it get's loud when playing TLOU. Noticeably loud.

Jet engine, interrupting the game loud? Probably not, but you can hear it, and I sit a good 8+ feet from my TV/entertainment center.

Does it have a lot of ventilation? Gets super hot so if it's in a tight area, I can expect fans going nuts.

JetJetJaguar

Neo Member
Noticed that mine was a bit loud from the start. Not a problem when gaming but not good for video (so I do my streaming/Blu-Ray on XB1 or PS3).

Pimpbaa

I find mine gets loud but only when playing games off the disc.

No games play off the disc. Every game gets installed to the hard drive. The blu-ray drive spins up when you first insert a game but it stop spinning shortly after or a bit longer if it's a new game and still installing data to the hard drive while you are playing.

Sordid

I've been playing TLoU:R and can hear the fans most of the time. I haven't compared them directly but it seems slightly louder than my 360S and PS3. Nowhere near the OG 360 though!

theDeeDubs

I wonder if the disc coincidence is because people might buy the more intensive AAA games on disc as opposed to buying more indie games digitally.

Vestax

Banned
When I first got the PS4 because it would get loud at times, and it was obviously the fan. My mistake is that I stacked my UVerse receiver on top of it (not directly) and this made the area a bit warm. So, I removed the the Uverse receiver and the fan noise went down dramatically. I'd say the the fan noise is directly related the internal temperature (makes sense). I also ended up putting the PS4 on top of a spare laptop cooling pad. Only time it makes noise now is when the disc drive is in use, otherwise, it's whisper quiet.

BumRush

Put a few cards under the front left of the machine or adjust the placement of the console. Sound is gone.

Woooooooooooooow this actually had an impact!

Hey, does anyone know if the "Accidental" warranty through the SEN store covers EVERYTHING -- fan dying, spills, drops, etc.?

knerl

It's normal for the PS4 fan to rev up during graphics intense games.

People who say that their PS4 is very quiet usually never state what games they play. Is it very quiet all the time in Killzone SF? Infamous SS? TLoU:R?

No it's not. Sony both promise and confirms that it's supposed to be queiter than a ps3 slim at all times. I'm on my third PS4 already (swapped it out twice because of their annoying and far too loud whining fan noise they gave) and even this one has a piss-poor cooling solution and sounds just like the other one. My PS3 slim that I have now and the two I had before this one barely makes any noise at all even after playing GTAV and The Last of Us for several hours. So if it's loud after only ~20 min to a couple of hours no matter which game you're playing there is definitely something wrong with it. That's what all support agents from the playstation support have told me. "After maybe 5-6 hours it might make a sound." A faint one that is.

Got it replaced at the retailer both times. Now I'm going to get Sony to replace it themselves and actually test the unit before they ship it out to me. I get a headache thanks to the constant whining while playing Killzone and TLOU:Remastered. It annoys the hell out of me. Completely ruins the experience.
Full load and it should still be quieter than a PS3 slim. As of now that's nothing but false advertising to me.

Might add that they were all placed in open spaces in a cool room with lots of room for ventilation in all directions.
Laying down horizontally.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah my PS4 is super loud when it was horizontal but not when I stand it vertical and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why. Figured out it had to do with the wobble, put a little piece of rubber where there should have been to stop the wobble and the noise pretty much died out.

knerl

Yeah it's normal, all of my friends PS4's are loud.

Not quite PS3 levels of loud but they're still really loud.

So false advertising then?
They keep claiming it is supposed to be quieter than a ps3 slim at all times and those systems (if working correctly) are really quiet at all times.

knerl

Yeah my PS4 is super loud when it was horizontal but not when I stand it vertical and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why. Figured out it had to do with the wobble, put a little piece of rubber where there should have been to stop the wobble and the noise pretty much died out.

Left or right side of the unit? Also did you use the vertical stand when you had it vertically?

Timmay

Banned
No it's not. Sony both promise and confirms that it's supposed to be queiter than a ps3 slim at all times.

Actually yes it is normal. I'd like to see where Sony promised what you're saying they did.

As for all the people saying it's only loud when playing games from disc? LOL. No games play from disc.

Varth

I have had it for about a week and have noticed that the fan is really loud when playing a game. Should I expect it to be silent or is this normal?

I also had a weird issue in game when it was trying to change resolutions on me.

Glacier White console? Playing Destiny?

Sadly yes. Mine gets very loud with graphically taxing games and from what I can tell many of them are like this. Some people have quiet ones. It's a bit of a crapshoot, it seems.

Or the people saying theirs are quiet are just less picky.

My PS4 is plenty quiet when you first turn it on. As it gets warmer though the fans steadily speed up, and it creates a fair bit of noise. It's a smooth white noise though, so I can't say it really bothers me much.

Sony both promise and confirms that it's supposed to be queiter than a ps3 slim at all times.

I think you're taking a customer service statement way too seriously here. My PS4 has always been louder than my PS3 slim, and it makes perfect sense that it would be. It's much more powerful but it's basically the same size as a PS3 slim. It should be louder.

knerl

Actually yes it is normal. I'd like to see where Sony promised what you're saying they did.

As for all the people saying it's only loud when playing games from disc? LOL. No games play from disc.
DzDDWlP.png

jgbLjUg.png

goonergaz

It bothers me because the old question of 'how long will it last'? It's only 'really noisey' because it's 'really hot' and I'm under the impression the fans should ramp up sufficiently to mean the PS4 should not have to go 'jet engine' (which equals too hot so cool it down ASAP)

Top Bottom