• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No work experience, help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I really need some advice please.

I'm currently a student in my final semester at community college. I haven't yet rushed to apply for university due to having not made up my mind in what to major in. I plan to go in Fall of 2015. Due to my financial situation and my grandma passing AND my parents moving I'm going to have to leave home come the end of the year but I will have literally no money by then. I'm scared because I'm not sure what the future holds for me and I'm not sure where to go. I have little work experience in retail and restaurants. I've started applying at many places and am starting to plan ahead. Save some money if I can find a job soon, find roommate, move etc. I'm just so worried because I haven't had a retail or food service job since 2011. Does that matter? It feels like an up hill struggle finding a job at a decent paying business. I also have few friends after recently cutting out a tremendous amount of super negative (and drug abusing) people in my life. I feel alone and I'm not sure what the future holds. Finding a job around here feels so hard and I'm not sure if it's because of my lack of experience (3 years but it isn't particularly recent) or not knowing anyone at the places I'm applying. Either way I just want a decent paying job at a nice place badly.

What can I do to improve my chances? Just keep going in, applying, be friendly, and check back every four-five days?

Have you tried hustling them for a job?

It wont be for a job but I will be hustling them for connection towards grants and help for scholarships into good universities in the future. It's a small very corporate nonprofit that deals in super fine art. They literally have no positions for someone of my skill level there.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What kind of money are you looking for? What kind of hours? I worked at the library and as a janitor on campus and it paid like a buck above minimum wage and I got a solid 20 hours a week.

Campus jobs were very easy to get.

If you're looking for more hours and better pay, I can't really help you in that regard. I can only say that it was very easy to get on campus jobs.

What kind of money are you looking for? What kind of hours? I worked at the library and as a janitor on campus and it paid like a buck above minimum wage and I got a solid 20 hours a week.

Campus jobs were very easy to get.

If you're looking for more hours and better pay, I can't really help you in that regard. I can only say that it was very easy to get on campus jobs.

I actually just applied for several jobs at my college over the summer and am currently pursuing one right now there which I went in and spoke to the supervisor and he hinted that I don't have enough experience. It's doing trouble shooting with computers. My friend recommended I apply (he held it) because he knew I was experienced enough but the fucking guy obviously feels other wise. We will see if they call me back, not counting on it.

I want/need around 20/30 hours and would like to make at least $10 an hour.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Fast Food sucks, but you get hours, I usually do 30 hours a week during school and 40 when not.

GulAtiCa

Try applying for a local job. During high-school/early college I worked at Publix grocery story and slightly during college for 1 summer I worked at the university's library. The pay at library was min wage of course but was very easy job (putting away books) and during summer when all my friends went home the 20 hours/etc a week were actually nice.

Try applying at all your local Targets, grocery stores, etc.

Anyways, hope you can find a local job. Good luck!

Get your lifguard cert. If you're a good swimmer it can be done in a day via Red Cross's challenge course. Lifeguards are always in demand. I know at the gym where I work, if you had certs you'd be working tomorrow.

Try applying for a local job. During high-school/early college I worked at Publix grocery story and slightly during college for 1 summer I worked at the university's library. The pay at library was min wage of course but was very easy job (putting away books) and during summer when all my friends went home the 20 hours/etc a week were actually nice.

Try applying at all your local Targets, grocery stores, etc.

Anyways, hope you can find a local job. Good luck!

thank you! There are several health food stores and locally owned businesses in the area that I'm applying to. Just hope I get picked up by one. Would much prefer to work at one than at a walmart or super chain which is ruining the country.

thebeeks

Banned
Maybe consider temping? The office I work at is always getting temps for easy-yet-lengthy tasks (data entry, back up receptionist, help sort old files, etc).

I mean, the benefits are probably lousy if not nonexistant and you might only be there for a month or two, but you do pick up a lot of skills.

Aesius

Valet.

You make better money than retail/fast food and you barely have to deal with people. Bring a book and read when you're waiting on customers to roll up.

Vyroxis

Banned
Do you live near factories? Call them up, ask if they are hiring. Call temp services. Walk into every hardware/grocery/knick knack store you can find and ask. If you pass by a construction crew, stop and ask if they would be up for hiring a grunt to do garbage detail.

You got feet, use them. Don't be afraid of ditch work.

Worse comes to worse, get a CDL permit and get on the road. Lonely job a lot of the time, but the pay is good usually.

Security.

Most places you can do your homework while on shift doing nothing as well.

Where do you live btw?

Charlotte NC

very corporate place. I feel like I will have better luck applying in the more art-bar areas of town since I have a beard and a couple tattoos.

Do you live near factories? Call them up, ask if they are hiring. Call temp services. Walk into every hardware/grocery/knick knack store you can find and ask. If you pass by a construction crew, stop and ask if they would be up for hiring a grunt to do garbage detail.

You got feet, use them. Don't be afraid of ditch work.

Worse comes to worse, get a CDL permit and get on the road. Lonely job a lot of the time, but the pay is good usually.

No factories but I'll look into temp services. I've been doing this though and applying at restaurants too. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate the ideas!

starbucks?

I actually was about to apply online and go in person to introduce myself to the manager.

sappyday

Any friends that have a job? Ask them if they have any openings. If they do then go and say you're friend recommended you.

I don't know why people dismiss fast food or retail but they can usually be fun. Try Jack in the Box, Subway, Ralphs, and other big corps.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Homeboy over here ain't even got a job psshhhh

UPS/FedEx

I hear these are great places to work. Hotels and F/B. Food and bev requires no experience lol, you might just have to try a few places. I prefer back to front in F/B and I got my first kitchen job with zero experience and it was a great job. Hotels too. They always need people, and have a variety of positions. Charlotte should have plenty of that stuff.

You don't have the ability to make money in the next 3 and 3/4's month?

Edit: Coming off assholish. Just saying, there are jobs out there. If it doesn't pay well, you work harder.

C4Lukins

Everyone is looking for interns. Depending on what you want to do, work a couple of weeks at 4 hours a day, and bang, you just added something to your resume.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Everyone is looking for interns. Depending on what you want to do, work a couple of weeks at 4 hours a day, and bang, you just added something to your resume.

Ehh just make sure that you're going to actually add something valuable to your resume and not just do random shit that won't really help you. I got into one of your stereotypical bad internships where basically I just did the bitch work lol. Got out real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom