• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Headsets Detailed, Compatible with Destiny Audio Mode

New PlayStation Headsets Detailed, Compatible with Destiny Audio Mode

nKpeTY1.jpg

This holiday season is right around the corner, which means a whole slate of amazing PS4 games are set to launch in the next few months, including Destiny (Tomorrow!), Driveclub, NBA 2K15, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, and LittleBigPlanet 3. That means you’re probably going to be spending a lot of time with your PS4, right? This fall we’ve got a great lineup of new headsets and DualShock 4 colors to give you exactly what you need while you’re gaming.

I personally can’t wait to play Destiny on the brand new Glacier White PS4. This new color is available exclusively as part of the Destiny PlayStation 4 Bundle which hits stores tomorrow, September 9th. Starting tomorrow, you’ll also be able to get the Glacier White DualShock 4 and the extremely limited edition Glacier White version of the Gold Wireless Stereo Headset, which will only be available for a short time while supplies last.
We also have an exclusive Destiny audio mode that will be available via the free Headset Companion App for PS4 and PS3 starting tomorrow. Enjoy the sounds of the Destiny universe the way Bungie intended with this custom-tuned audio mode for the Gold Wireless Stereo Headset.

I’m also excited to introduce the newest member of our headset lineup — the Silver Wired Stereo Headset for PS4 and PS3. This headset is packed with features — all for just $69.99 (MSRP).

• Immersive 7.1 virtual surround sound
  • Custom audio modes created by developers specifically for PlayStation games
  • Retractable boom mic for voice chat while playing online
  • Breathable ear cushions and a lightweight design for hours of gameplay
  • In-line volume and mic controls

As with all PlayStation headsets, the Silver headset can be connected to a PS Vita (or many mobile devices) with the 3.5mm jack, ensuring you can take them with you wherever you go.

oHrMs7v.jpg

The Silver headset will join the Gold Wireless Stereo Headset as part of the official PlayStation headset lineup later this fall, providing gamers with a choice of headsets and let them hear PlayStation games the way they were meant to sound.

Need some more controllers to take on your friends? Pick up an additional DualShock 4 wireless controller in Wave Blue or Urban Camouflage (available now), or get one in Glacier White starting tomorrow. Make sure you call dibs on your favorite when your friends come over.

tbvZAlc.jpg

Stay tuned for more information on the Silver Wired Stereo Headset, and let us know which peripherals you’re most looking forward to snagging this fall.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...-detailed-compatible-with-destiny-audio-mode/

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
So is it better or worse than gold? I assume better cause gold's mic is shit, seemingly the only thing they changed with silver is the mic.

flkraven

Those white headphones look dope as fuck. Last gen the white devices looked like garbage, so why do they all look so good now? Before they either looked like an off white gross color, or looked cheap and toy-like. Now they pop bright white, and look slick as hell. Regardless, hope these sound good.

fernoca

New headset as only one... :p... but smaller and wired only (cheaper too). Nice alternative.

The white one has been out for some time and is just the Gold Heatset...in white.

ChawlieTheFair

It's wired, so worse but cheaper.

Hard to say in terms of the mic. The official PS3 wireless headset had a boom mic as well and the audio quality was terrible.

Well that's the thing, I got the gold headset to replace the original sony one, and the mic on gold sounds worse. You can however make it sound better if you plug it in while using, which negates the whole purpose.

why are there so many full headsets for sale? do they think people don't buy surround sound systems anymore?

im still waiting for a simple light weight wireless mic

why are there so many full headsets for sale? do they think people don't buy surround sound systems anymore?

Tons and tons of people live in places where surround sound systems aren't feasible.

I mean it's off the table for pretty much anyone in an apartment building, for starters.

Man, that white/blue combo looks super nice. I never bought a headset before though and for $99 I better get some damn good mileage out of it. Can I use this properly on a PC, mic and everything?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gonna wait until a Platinum version is announced to consider replacing my Elites. There's been new PS branded headphones at conferences and trade shows that aren't the Gold or Silver that look really nice.

ChawlieTheFair

Man, that white/blue combo looks super nice. I never bought a headset before though and for $99 I better get some damn good mileage out of it. Can I use this properly on a PC, mic and everything?

Not the surround sound though. Everything else will work, but no virtual ss.

Never buying a Sony headset again. I got the pulse elites a while back but I lost the little adapter. It's utterly ridiculous that you can't replace that stupid thing.

marrec

Banned
Man, announce the replacement face plates on the Gold Headset already! I want more useless branded crap in my house. :(

Takuan

The headset looks great in white but i went ahead and ordered the standard version because they're currently on sale here. Really looking forward to using them for Destiny and maybe even replaying TLOU.

Sony really needs to release an official Bluetooth headset or at least let us use our own, I don't always feel like wearing the gold headset.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
that custom APP is only for these licensed sony stuff right? I can't use with my tritton I guess

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm a big fan of the Gold headset.

Just a heads up, little known fact, if you own the old PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset (non elite), it works with the Gold Headset.

I experimented abit and you have to connect the old headset first, but you can indeed get audio from both at once. That was a big factor when I upgraded to the Gold Headset.

In terms of comfort and sound, I think the older Wireless Stereo Headset is slightly more comfortable, but the audio is noticeably better with the Gold Headset. And from what I've heard, comfort wise, the Gold headset is MILES more comfortable than the Pulse Elite.

DrZeus

Dat white headset and ds4 shall be mine. So clean. The wireless silver is interesting too. I wonder how much difference there will be in sound quality and features. And yes, I too am eagerly awaiting the platinum editions lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So is it better or worse than gold? I assume better cause gold's mic is shit, seemingly the only thing they changed with silver is the mic.

I think the name answers your question. They are going by trophies.

Gold > Silver

We'll see when it comes to sound quality though. Hope to see a Platinum headset sometime.

The white looks nice but gamers are gross ;) and I expect that to get dirty easily. Are the golds easy to clean? Going to be more like a yellow headset after a few months of playing hehe

In terms of comfort and sound, I think the older Wireless Stereo Headset is slightly more comfortable, but the audio is noticeably better with the Gold Headset. And from what I've heard, comfort wise, the Gold headset is MILES more comfortable than the Pulse Elite.
The Pulse Elites hurt the top of my head. I only use them instead of the Golds because I got them as Asa gift and I can still record gameplay without losing audio because of the 3.5mm port on the dongle. From what I've seen the Golds don't have that.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm waiting for the Platinums before I decide to upgrade my Sony Pulse Elites. I know it's coming considering the naming scheme, so I guess another 5-6 months we'll here about the Plat Headset.

I was going to get upset as I just bought my Golds yesterday, but it's pretty cool that they are going to have a wired option.

Also, super excited for that Destiny profile.

RedAssedApe

Banned
does sony have any good wireless non-gaming headphones? if so they should just re-brand/color those, toss in a mic, and there you go.

I always figured it went by price, so the platinum headset would be the Pulse Elites.

Granted, they don't fit the design series very well.

Metfanant

I've never had anyone complain about mic quality with my gold headset...the only thing I've heard from friends is that it is too sensitive and picks up some ambient noise...but they all hear me crystal clear..

Sony really needs to release an official Bluetooth headset or at least let us use our own, I don't always feel like wearing the gold headset.

I don't always feel like wearing a full headset either. I loved using my wireless mic on the 360 I hope Sony releases something similar

Not a complete fix for what you're looking for...but I went out and bought the "official chat headset" for the PS4...its made exceptionally cheaply, but it gets the job done for when I want to hear sound through my speakers and not be muffled by the Gold headset...

All this being said...with the announcement of the "silver" headset...what's the over/under on how long it will take before we see the platinum version, and all us Gold owners get pissed? lol

Timmay

Banned
These look like shit. And the MSRP is pretty much the same price Amazon US sells the Golds for.

I was going to get upset as I just bought my Golds yesterday, but it's pretty cool that they are going to have a wired option.

Also, super excited for that Destiny profile.

Technically the Golds are a wired option as well. Just plug the included wire into the headphones and then into the DS4/Vita/Computer/ipod etc and you have wired, unpowered headphones with a mic.

Frazley

im still waiting for a simple light weight wireless mic
In my house, headsets work. I'm the only one gaming and surround sound would interfere in the open air space.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, those are ugly. Hopefully the quality is good, at least.

Kinthalis

Banned
Not the surround sound though. Everything else will work, but no virtual ss.

Surround sound isn't a function of the headset, it's a funciton of the DSP either in the console, or in your PC (sound card/mobo/software). Some headsets will have a built in soundcard for DSP, but I doubt this one has that.

So you should be able to use it fine on PC, and have VSS through your sound card/mobo/or software like the razer app.

I'm doubting the quality of those drivers at $69, and the fact that I'm not seeing any specs.

Get a Sennheiser headset instead.

Eusis

These look like shit. And the MSRP is pretty much the same price Amazon US sells the Golds for.
The secret is that you wait for a similar sale and get them for something like $40.

Although, I AM interested in the USB dongle. It looks like you plug the headphones into those with a normal albeit short headphone plug, which seems to indicate it may be possible to plug in other, higher quality headphones into it and get their features such as virtual surround with your preferred set of headphones. Granted theirs isn't the greatest sounding but it is something I'd like to hear about when it releases.
Surround sound isn't a function of the headset, it's a funciton of the DSP either in the console, or in your PC (sound card/mobo/software). Some headsets will have a built in soundcard for DSP, but I doubt this one has that.
Yeah, the system definitely handles the surround sound processing, and if it doesn't I don't know how it's accessible on PC. The wireless at least is still good if you want a headphone/mic solution to share across platforms though, and Razer's Surround program will make it for not having surround on PC. Possibly surpass what the PS3 puts out actually.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've never had anyone complain about mic quality with my gold headset...the only thing I've heard from friends is that it is too sensitive and picks up some ambient noise...but they all hear me crystal clear..

yeah the noise cancellation isn't great on the golds. i can usually hear ambient noise when playing with my friends who own these sets. i think they are also harder to hear sometimes just because the mic is in the cups and can't be adjusted to be closer to their mouth. especially apparent when they are playing late at night and trying to be quiet with the kids and wifeys sleeping. lol

Top Bottom