• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham |OT| It's not Flash, it's Gordon - Mondays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

iFhw5oie6KQMC.png

maxcriden

Just 16 eps, huh? That's odd. Great OT! I'm concerned this will be a disappointing show, though. A la The Mentalist I'm concerned any ongoing mysteries will be dragged out to the sixth season.

The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope for this is that Bruno Heller is running things. But otherwise, I am not getting a good feeling about this.

Please be good. If not, at least I will have Arrow and Flash for my weekly DC fix.

I've heard bad things about Ben McKenzie's Gordon. Hopefully he doesn't sink the whole thing, cause I wanna watch the series just for the actress playing Barbara.

Acidyl

Not really been following this one, have they explained how this fits into comics/movies? alternative universe or simply screw canon ? :)

But why make a Batman show without Batman in it?

Why not just make Gotham PD at that point? How is this interesting? I'm legitimately curious.

Because the cops have to fight these fantastical villains which you wouldn't get in a normal cop show like SVU or CSI?

Of course, the timeline's off, because these villains are all supposed to pop up after Batman arrives and takes down the mob...

Siegcram

Because the cops have to fight these fantastical villains which you wouldn't get in a normal cop show like SVU or CSI?

Of course, the timeline's off, because these villains are all supposed to pop up after Batman arrives and takes down the mob...
But we know nothing will happen to those characters. There are no stakes as far as guys like the Penguin or Riddler go.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I really hope this makes it into the show.

GORDON: There was nothing you could do to stop what happened. But there is something you can do now. Now you can be strong. Grief can make you strong. Be strong and one day maybe you can stop this from happening to somebody else.

ALFRED: Oi! Master Bruce! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!

BARBARA (blithely): Jim, you are the cleverest, bravest, goodest man in Gotham.

But we know nothing will happen to those characters. There are no stakes as far as guys like the Penguin or Riddler go.

You can still have drama and entertainment without having characters die, ya know.

EDIT: For example in Breaking Bad... for a large part of the show, the tension and drama came from whether or not Walt would be exposed and found out, not whether or not he'd be killed.

dan2026

Everything about this seems like a awful, awful idea for a show.
Its Batman, only everything is boring!

All they had to do was adapt Gotham Central.

ITS ALL THEY HAD TO DO!

Siegcram

You can still have drama and entertainment without having characters die, ya know.
This is done by Bruno Heller isn't it? He had a hard enough time producing tension when he was actively killing off characters on The Mentalist. I just don't see it. Gotham Central was right there, staring them in the face.

I'll still watch the pilot.

Awful cape shit invaded our tv sets now. I don't understand why Fox doesn't just use Batman, considering they're using the goddamn license. Is there an agreement in the contracts that whoever uses the television license can't actually use the caped crusader? Otherwise why would Fox care about how Batman on tv affects WB"s Batman on the silver screen?

This is done by Bruno Heller isn't it? He had a hard enough time producing tension when he was actively killing off characters on The Mentalist. I just don't see it. Gotham Central was right there, staring them in the face.

I'll still watch the pilot.

Major villains in Gotham Central weren't killed off either. So it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Siegcram

Major villains in Gotham Central weren't killed off either. So it shouldn't be an issue for you.
Yes, but they didn't have the whole "kid Batman" crutch going on. They did their own thing and it was great.

This one seems to want to eat its cake and have it too. They want to use all the characters, but can't do anything of consequence with them.

So are the characters in the show actual Batman characters or are some of them made up?

From the cast chart they released, Fish Mooney is the only new character they've made up for the show. The rest are characters from the comics, though some have been changed. Sarah Essen was a blonde woman of German-American origin in Batman Year One. Actually, she would've looked a lot like Erin Richards, who's playing Barbara Kean. And Ivy Pepper is supposed to be Pamela Isley, I guess.

I'm sad that we're never going to see Gotham Central adapted because of this show.

Unless they do a big time jump in a couple of seasons and it effectively becomes Gotham Central. The world isn't that fair, though.

Trike

I forgot about this show. I fully expect it to be a cringe-worthy trainwreck, but I will watch it for a few episodes regardless. Would like to be surprised though.

I would've preferred them not working young Bruce Wayne into it. Maybe Selina Kyle, but even then I'd rather it just been Jim Gordon facing off against Gotham's darkest days.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched the first trailer when it came out and it looked terrible, but I'll be checking up on this to see if it actually is the case.

This does have Donal Logue and I'm happy whenever that guy gets a break.

Wait, why though?

He says he's hoping to be surprised

I'm sad that we're never going to see Gotham Central adapted because of this show.

Unless they do a big time jump in a couple of seasons and it effectively becomes Gotham Central. The world isn't that fair, though.

We can only hope.

The look of the city and the sets is really great. It doesn't look as sterile as Gotham did in TDK/R.

Yeah my expectations aren't high either and I have no interest in yet another procedural even with this angle but we'll see... They just better not introduce the Joker.

That Selina Kyle girl eeriely resembles young Michelle Pfeiffer.

EDIT: Damn it, strafer!

It's okay, we've been saying this since her casting was announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom