• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S11 |OT| The ol' ticker just won't quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread may contain spoilers through the end of Season 10

"Change… We don’t like it, we fear it. But we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change, or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t, is lying. But here’s the truth: Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes, change is good. Sometimes, change is… everything" -Dr. Meredith Grey

I am curious to see if there is any Gaffer out there that is excited for the new season of GA,so here's our topic to discuss it in all of its dark/twistiness and likely fluctuating episode quality. For those unaware, Grey's Anatomy first aired as a mid-season replacement on ABC about 10 years ago. Each episode runs about 42 minutes and focuses on the lives and careers of surgeons at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital (formally Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital... formally Seattle Grace Hospital).

The cast has changed significantly since first airing with only 5 major characters still remaining - Drs. Meredith Grey, Derek Shepherd, Miranda Bailey, Alex Karev, and Richard Weber. Many other characters were written out by career changes, death (shootings, plane crashes, getting hit by a bus, etc), or disappearance (see ya, Izzy Stevens). Even one of the most major of characters, Cristina Yang, is gone as of the end of last season, which will have major impacts on this season in terms of which characters will receive increased screentime. As a final major twist to the end of last season, we discovered that Meredith Grey actually has a half sister, the result of an affair between Meredith's deceased mom and Dr. Richard Weber; this half-sister will likely fill-in for Yang's absence in terms of staffing their medical team and screentime.

The season premiere is this Thursday, September 25th at 7 PM Central time on ABC. I first got into Grey's Anatomy about 4 years ago as my girlfriend/now wife loved the show and we've since watched every episode a few times over together. It isn't as good as it used to be and isn't quite the same show, but it's still fun to watch if you don't take it too seriously, so I encourage anyone on GAF with a mild interest to give the new season premiere a shot. Then, let's roast or praise it here.

P.S. I made this topic from my phone as I'm currently travelling and jet-lagged, so I apologize for the bareness of it.

FloatOn

This thread may contain spoilers through the end of Season 10

"Change… We don’t like it, we fear it. But we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change, or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t, is lying. But here’s the truth: Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes, change is good. Sometimes, change is… everything" -Dr. Meredith Grey

I am curious to see if there is any Gaffer out there that is excited for the new season of GA,so here's our topic to discuss it in all of its dark/twistiness and likely fluctuating episode quality. For those unaware, Grey's Anatomy first aired as a mid-season replacement on ABC about 10 years ago. Each episode runs about 42 minutes and focuses on the lives and careers of surgeons at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital (formally Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital... formally Seattle Grace Hospital).

The cast has changed significantly since first airing with only 5 major characters still remaining - Drs. Meredith Grey, Derek Shepherd, Miranda Bailey, Alex Karev, and Richard Weber. Many other characters were written out by career changes, death (shootings, plane crashes, getting hit by a bus, etc), or disappearance (see ya, Izzy Stevens). Even one of the most major of characters, Cristina Yang, is gone as of the end of last season, which will have major impacts on this season in terms of which characters will receive increased screentime. As a final major twist to the end of last season, we discovered that Meredith Grey actually has a half sister, the result of an affair between Meredith's deceased mom and Dr. Richard Weber; this half-sister will likely fill-in for Yang's absence in terms of staffing their medical team and screentime.

The season premiere is this Thursday, September 25th at 7 PM Central time on ABC. I first got into Grey's Anatomy about 4 years ago as my girlfriend/now wife loved the show and we've since watched every episode a few times over together. It isn't as good as it used to be and isn't quite the same show, but it's still fun to watch if you don't take it too seriously, so I encourage anyone on GAF with a mild interest to give the new season premiere a shot. Then, let's roast or praise it here.

P.S. I made this topic from my phone as I'm currently travelling and jet-lagged, so I apologize for the bareness of it.

Same for me. We're getting divorced.

Best of luck!

weepy

This show is still on?? I thought it went the way of Desperate Housewives...wait, is that show still on?!?

Housewives is gone. Grey's is somehow still kicking. Its ratings are below its peak but have actually improved over the past few seasons from their all-time lows it seems. I'm anticipating it'll be renewed for at least one more season after this current season.

Joni

Oh, we have a topic. Perfect.

I liked the start of season 11. The new sister isn't a quick repeat of Lexie and the Alex-Mer relationship is something that has always been great over the last seasons, so I'm happy to see they'll go deeper on that friendship. The CGI was bad, the result was very funny.

I was wondering, are they trying to make Meredith Grey into Ellis Grey? She really turned into a very unlikeable character the past three seasons.

Despite the horrible and misplaced CGI, this opening episode wasn't too bad. Really wish that there was more of the original cast still there.

I was wondering, are they trying to make Meredith Grey into Ellis Grey? She really turned into a very unlikeable character the past three seasons.

I completely agree. She's been a real bitch for a while now. I miss Lexie :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The hilarious part is that Derek's sister who is supposed to be of adequate experience to take over the neurosurgery department at a major hospital is played by a 32 year old, while Meredith's actress is in her mid-40s.

And, yes, they permanently added Derek's sister to the show and just abandoned all of her storylines from Private Practice (which was terrible), presumably so they could find an excuse to hook her up with Hunt, who is like the only single guy left on the show.

dokish

Banned
Used to be a huuuuuge fan of this show. Shit went downhill long time ago however I always come back a few episodes each season.

What killed the show was the large number of characters and Shinds trying to inject all super dramatic stories with all characters, at the same time.

Hopefully they csn end in a high note.

A half sister AGAIN means they are completely out of ideas (well I think that happened 5 seasons ago)

Yah I mean the older one - the one that looked 40 and was supposed to be fresh out of med school.

Same one lol. The show started around 10 years ago, so she was in her early 30s. Yep, too old to be fresh out of med school. Although I do think they used the "she traveled through Europe" thing to kind of cover that.

Edit: Plus, she just looks older than she is anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Used to be a huuuuuge fan of this show. Shit went downhill long time ago however I always come back a few episodes each season.

What killed the show was the large number of characters and Shinds trying to inject all super dramatic stories with all characters, at the same time.

A half sister AGAIN means they are completely out of ideas (well I think that happened 5 seasons ago)

The most egregious part of it is that its a half-sister from her mother who she lived with. Like how is that even possible?

The best season IMO was Season 6. They should've ended the series at Season 8 since they all seemed like they were going to move on for the better after their boards; then that stupid plane crash thing happened.

Joni

And, yes, they permanently added Derek's sister to the show and just abandoned all of her storylines from Private Practice (which was terrible), presumably so they could find an excuse to hook her up with Hunt, who is like the only single guy left on the show.
They're at least smart enough to realize Private Practice had some good characters that can be rescued. Bring back Coop and Charlotte too, maybe Addison without her husband, and you have saved everyone good.

The most egregious part of it is that its a half-sister from her mother who she lived with. Like how is that even possible?
She knew. The flashbacks Meredith has in episode 1, is the part where she is born. Meredith might be repressing that as another suicide attempt.

Exactly. And it seems they completly forgot about her other half-sister: Molly Thompson.
She just isn't that interesting of a character. Meredith isn't a family person anyway.

Exactly. And it seems they completly forgot about her other half-sister: Molly Thompson.

Damn, I totally forgot she had another half-sister. Good catch.

They're at least smart enough to realize Private Practice had some good characters that can be rescued. Bring back Coop and Charlotte too, maybe Addison without her husband, and you have saved everyone good.

I was really hoping Addison would make it back into Grey's once PP ended, but since Kate Walsh is on NBC with that Bad Judge show, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Bad Judge will probably flop though so maybe next season, assuming Grey's is extended.

She just isn't that interesting of a character. Meredith isn't a family person anyway.

Yeah... Meredith is fairly boring now. Ellen Pompeo has stated many times that she's tired of acting and won't continue to act after Grey's. I suspect she may be leaving the show at the end of this season and from there they'll replace her with the new "Grey" being her half-sister, then fill in a bit more with the two interns that have stuck around (Jo and Stephanie). The show has high enough ratings that I can see it being extended for one more season at least after this one, but I worry it'll be like Scrubs season 9 in terms of quality. Speaking of ratings, for this past Thursday, Grey's had 8.43 million viewers. For all shows on Thursday night from 8-10 PM Eastern, only Thursday Night Football (16.09), Scandal (9.90), and How to Get Away With Murder (9.79), had higher ratings... and Scandal/HTGAWM of course follow Grey's on ABC.

Joni

Damn, I totally forgot she had another half-sister. Good catch.

I was really hoping Addison would make it back into Grey's once PP ended, but since Kate Walsh is on NBC with that Bad Judge show, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Bad Judge will probably flop though so maybe next season, assuming Grey's is extended.

Yeah... Meredith is fairly boring now. Ellen Pompeo has stated many times that she's tired of acting and won't continue to act after Grey's. I suspect she may be leaving the show at the end of this season and from there they'll replace her with the new "Grey" being her half-sister, then fill in a bit more with the two interns that have stuck around (Jo and Stephanie). The show has high enough ratings that I can see it being extended for one more season at least after this one, but I worry it'll be like Scrubs season 9 in terms of quality.
Ellen and Patrick resigned at the start of 2014 for another two years, so they'll remain till 12 to be certain.

Angry Grimace

She knew. The flashbacks Meredith has in episode 1, is the part where she is born. Meredith might be repressing that as another suicide attempt.

Repressed memories don't work like that anyways.

Ellen and Patrick resigned at the start of 2014 for another two years, so they'll remain till 12 to be certain.

Huh, I had no idea. Didn't catch that on Wikipedia. Interesting. I've gotta believe the only way they can keep the show fresh after 12 season is if they ditch Pompeo and probably Dempsey and get some newer characters to focus on... they've sort of been repeating themselves to some extent for a few seasons now. I enjoy it all, but yeah, new faces might do it some good.

Joni

Repressed memories don't work like that anyways.
I could see a 5 year old misinterpreting a birth and getting it mixed up with the suicide attempt. She was 5, you can't expect her to keep those violent moments alive in her mind.

Huh, I had no idea. Didn't catch that on Wikipedia. Interesting. I've gotta believe the only way they can keep the show fresh after 12 season is if they ditch Pompeo and probably Dempsey and get some newer characters to focus on... they've sort of been repeating themselves to some extent for a few seasons now. I enjoy it all, but yeah, new faces might do it some good.
Dempsey and Pompeo are working less anyway. And when they leave, I expect Dempsey to go first.

I must say that I really don't like any of the new characters, so far. In fact, I still dislike the new characters from last season. I really don't ever see any of them growing on me.

What happened to the lesbian one from last year? I don't remember how she left, and now she's gone.

Got stuck marathoning this over the last month, seemed like it took forever.

Anyway I did actually enjoy it. However when/if Alex goes im out, only character I really like much anymore.

What happened to the lesbian one from last year? I don't remember how she left, and now she's gone.
Webber told her she wasn't a surgeon so he pulled some strings and got her in a research thing elsewhere.

Joni

It is strange, but Ellen Pompeo never looked young as Meredith. Patrick Dempsey has aged terribly, but Ellen always looked a bit semi-old.

I can't say I disagree with Meredith's side on the confrontation. He has been resenting ever, always thinking how much better he is. It is good they have taken that decision. They should have replaced generic black lady with Kerry Washington. I like the Pierce-Grey friendship.

Deadly

Really hate the direction they took this show. Nothing will ever top that season finale with the shooter though that was just too good.

Only reason to keep watching is Camilla Luddington now cause GODDAMN.

I wonder if Dr. Hunt and Dr. Torres will come together. In the alt-universe (If/Then episode) they had lot of kids and were wonderful together. This last episode seemed like they could hook up easily.

Joni

It was another funny episode, but we really need more time between Amelia, Meredith and Maggie. The sisters are an highlight of the show.

LOL fuck this garbage show, can't believe how shitty its become.
Can't wait to see next week's ratings.

Dumbest major death I have ever seen on a big tv series.

I heard he got fired so they killed off his character? They should've just kept his character in DC and divorced at that point.

God, I thought the plane crash thing was bad.

Deadly

I heard he got fired so they killed off his character? They should've just kept him in DC and divorced at that point.

God, I thought the plane crash thing was bad.
His contract was still good for next season. I still can't believe they decided to kill him off like that. Please end the show now.

Jo and Alex is seriously the only decent thing this still has going for it,
if the show last another season 1 or both of them will die and Meredith's progression into her mother with be complete, oh hey and on the way out...
Meredith get alzheimer's as well!

Its like the only thing they know how to do on this show.

And by the way while Meredith is so quick to unplug him shouldn't she, oh I don't know...
maybe let his sister know before you do it?

Never liked the character so whatever but really poor form regardless.

Joni

That was surprising. But at the same time, it was certainly not: Dempsey doesn't want to do a lot of acting anymore. They probably publically announced they would renew his contract for two years so they could surprise people.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That was surprising. But at the same time, it was certainly not: Dempsey doesn't want to do a lot of acting anymore. They probably publically announced they would renew his contract for two years so they could surprise people.
Yeah, he manages his own racing team, which includes him. I did cheer when the truck hit him as a nod to Television Without Pity.

Prologue

Is it normal to end a decade old character like THAT? I occasionally watch the show here and there and even I was bothered. It felt like mass effect all over again. I understand surprise endings and all that but you gotta pay homage to the fans too. Not even a two episode struggle at least? Whatever.

Eggbok

I started watching season 1 again on Netflix and it felt like a completely different show. They better bring Christina back for like 2 episodes though, ugh.

Joni

I feel this episode is confirmation Ellen Pompeo wants to go the distance. If she was hesistant about season 11/12 in first place, Shonda would have probably gone with a more happy 'riding off in the sunset' ending. If Pompeo wants to stay longer than Dempsey, you have a problem as McDreamy would never leave his kids alone for a couple of years.

Is it normal to end a decade old character like THAT? I occasionally watch the show here and there and even I was bothered. It felt like mass effect all over again. I understand surprise endings and all that but you gotta pay homage to the fans too. Not even a two episode struggle at least? Whatever.
I think that has more to do with the fact they did a death like that already with Mark and Dempsey obviously wanted to limit his time on set if the last couple of episodes are anything to go on. It could be worse, they could kill him like they killed Pete or George. If Shonda doesn't want someone, they don't get a spotlight on them.

I started watching season 1 again on Netflix and it felt like a completely different show. They better bring Christina back for like 2 episodes though, ugh.
Cristina, Derek's mom, Derek's sisters, Addison. They need to bring back quite some important characters to have the funeral succeed.

jrush64

Banned
I stopped watching this show during the plane crash and Lexie died. It's ridiculous how much tragedy a freaking show about doctors has to the doctors themselves.

Then Derek? I'm so glad I don't watch it anymore.

It's like she can only create drama through main character deaths.
Derek could have moved away or something. But no, she had to kill him.

Same shit with Bones.

This is a great opportunity to bring back Addison. Have her show up for the funeral but stay full-time at GSM Hospital.

Personally, I'm really excited to see where the show will go from here. How do you wrap up (or continue) a show that has had so many deaths? Also, Meredith is totally pregnant. Also, I guess my OP is no longer accurate... Only four initial characters remain (Bailey, Meredith, Karev, and Webber).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom