• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S11 |OT| The ol' ticker just won't quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Grey's Anatomy Adds Mentalist Alum Joe Adler for Season-Ending Arc
Grey's Anatomy Recruits Reign Hottie Giacomo Gianniotti for Top-Secret Role
--> They seem to be staffing up interns again. Liked them both on their original shows so that is good news.

So...I just got sucked into this show like 2 weeks ago. And I'm already on season 10. First of all, holy crap, I'm really impressed by the writing. Also, as an Ultrasound tech student (I realize I'm not high on the totem pole here) I'm still impressed by the terminology and images they use throughout the show.

More importantly though, HOLY FUCK THIS SHOW HAS NO PROBLEM KILLING CHARACTERS OFF. There's like, virtually ZERO plot-armor. Had no idea this show did this way before Game of Thrones was ever relevant.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I still can't believe they killed the most beloved character like this... The show will feel so empty now, never going to have the same amazing feelings for the first 5 seasons.
This is the same show that put George On the Bus and then had another bus run over him on his way to get on the bus they were going to put him on in the first place.

So, after doing my nightly Google News quick scan before bed; I was reminded that Grey's Anatomy was on tonight. I don't know what to make of the articles, but the people commenting on the articles keeps saying that this episode was another "slap in the face."

What's everyone's opinions here? I don't have time to watch it now, or possibly have the motivation to watch it at all.

I liked the two new episodes tonight. They covered an entire year in two episodes, basically showing how Meredith coped/is coping with the tragedy. I much prefer that to a season-long pity-fest. My only complaint is that I wish they'd brought back some older characters for the funeral, but I'm sure it is difficult to assemble the actors, so I can't hold that against them.

Next episode's previews seem to show how they will address some anger from Amelia directed towards Meredith, which I think is appropriate.

Joni

This episode was the tearjerker compared to the last episode. It was a beautiful tribute to MerDer, especially with the juxtaposition against Ellis. It is also good they made time for the grief of other characters. I didn't even really miss Addison and Cristina because they spent so little time on the funeral.

Apdiddy

It does seem like Shonda Rhimes's go-to option whenever an actor/actress wants to leave the show is "let's kill the character off in the most gut-wrenching way possible." Sure there are exceptions, but she's done it so many times that I get the sense that that's the first idea that pops into her head whenever a performer wants to leave. And that gets old/repetitive after awhile. You can do it every so often, but if you overuse it (like she has imo), then it's no longer "dramatic" so much as annoying. The audience shouldn't be able to see a plot point coming ten miles away because you've gone to that well so many times. And killing off characters closes the door on the possibility of them returning for guest-appearances in the future (unless you use flashbacks, hallucinations, dream sequences, or other such silliness). It's something that most shows try to avoid whenever possible, but not here.

If we find out on the series finale, that the whole show was a drunken dream of Meredith and Derek is in the shower, GA fans will be pissed.

I hope they never give Shonda Rimes another show after GA (and Scandal) ends. She's a terrible person who has a terrible view of her audience.

Joni

If we find out on the series finale, that the whole show was a drunken dream of Meredith and Derek is in the shower, GA fans will be pissed.

I hope they never give Shonda Rimes another show after GA (and Scandal) ends. She's a terrible person who has a terrible view of her audience.

You mean after Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, How To Get Away With Murder and The Catch end? Yeah; ABC would be stupid to give the maker of three of their most succesful shows another shot in the future.

Romez

Do you know her personally? This is just stupid. She's a terrible person because she killed off some characters you like? OK.

Also people moaning about Derek. The actor wants to leave to be a driver, the only option was to kill him off.

Having him be a stay at home dad (this is Derek we're talking about) and be off screen is the dumbest idea ever.

Also him taking the job across the country and leaving his wife and kids makes no sense and you know it.

Joni

Do you know her personally? This is just stupid. She's a terrible person because she killed off some characters you like? OK.

Also people moaning about Derek. The actor wants to leave to be a driver, the only option was to kill him off.

Having him be a stay at home dad (this is Derek we're talking about) and be off screen is the dumbest idea ever.

Also him taking the job across the country and leaving his wife and kids makes no sense and you know it.

No, the show could be cancelled and everybody involved fired, that is clearly the better idea.

I disagree with you on the bolded. Derek was probably my favorite character, along with Sloan, who is also gone (and Alex got nerfed hard in the last couple of seasons), but I completely respect Rimes to not pander to what the audience wants. Bending to service the fans is what ruins a lot of good shows.

ZeroFate

So... there's actually two episodes left this season?! I thought that was the season finale. Heck it would have served as an awesome SERIES finale. Not really sure they could top that with the emotional strings that were pulled. MerDer is pretty much the last thing left that could've done that. :/

GavinUK86

Holy shit that was two rushed episodes. Possibly the worst couple of episodes I have ever seen on Grey's. Was basically the equivalent of Shonda nuking Derek from orbit.

Holy shit that was two rushed episodes. Possibly the worst couple please episodes I have ever seen on Grey's. Was basically the equivalent of Shonda nuking Derek from orbit.
Lol yup.

Can't believe previews hyped the funeral and it was literally 10 seconds longs.
Half that 2 hours was commercials as well.

Holy shit that was two rushed episodes. Possibly the worst couple of episodes I have ever seen on Grey's. Was basically the equivalent of Shonda nuking Derek from orbit.

I mean, I'd prefer those episodes to a season-long drawn out Meredith pity fest. Besides, next week Derek's sister brings up Meredith pulling the plug without the sister's input... So the Derek shit will continue for at least one more episode, have no fear.

Joni

So... there's actually two episodes left this season?! I thought that was the season finale. Heck it would have served as an awesome SERIES finale. Not really sure they could top that with the emotional strings that were pulled. MerDer is pretty much the last thing left that could've done that. :/
The series finale will probably be a look-back on the history of Grey-Sloan which should bring back the tears by showing everybody that left.

Can't believe previews hyped the funeral and it was literally 10 seconds longs.
That was perfect. It is ideal the show tried something else, especially if they couldn't get Addison, Cristina or Derek's family there. You preferred a weak funeral over a more unique proposition? Considering the ratings were up for the second part of the episode, people seemed to prefer it.

Half that 2 hours was commercials as well.
Like every 2 hour show?

DOWN

Banned
Well, that felt like series finale material, like that downer where you mix nostalgia and letting go as a viewer. Yet they are going another season.

It's pretty sad that the story at center of the show's charm ended like that. The "Chasing Cars" sequence at the end was really sweet, but I was never expecting to see Derek dead after all that. I liked the two-hour episode and it pulled at the long emotional history well, but it's a hefty goodbye that I would at most have thought fits as an end to the series.

I can't imagine they'll get to make a more impactful sendoff than the ones we've already had when they finally do hit on the finale, so it will likely be a full series version of what happened from this point and earlier.

I still question whether they are considering having Ellen Pompeo walk away (if she wants to) in the next season and move Pierce in as the almost-titular Dr. Grey. They really need to develop Pierce more though if they'd consider that route.

DOWN

Banned
I still question whether they are considering having Ellen Pompeo walk away (if she wants to) in the next season and move Pierce in as the almost-titular Dr. Grey. They really need to develop Pierce more though if they'd consider that route.

Amelia would be a more likely replacement. Pierce's nature and TV history
isn't dark enough. Between Grey's and Private Practice, Amelia has the tone, though it would feel quite hollow if we no longer had a single pair of interns from the original season 1 to see talking anymore. That would spiritually be the end of the original show if Pompeo, the actual Grey, or all her original friends had finally gone.

My wife has been saying that Kepner and Hunt would become a couple for years. I still don't think they'd do that to Jackson, but with Jackson/Kepner having issues and Kepner/Hunt having the military thing, it does make me wonder if we'd head that way eventually.

Joni

That was another happy 'sad' finale. Glad the car crash victims survived, Bailey is going to kick ass, the sisters are fine again, Jo and Alex are going to be happy, fake Chris Pratt looks awesome. Stoked for next year!

Yeah, there were only two points of conflict still remaining at the end of this season.

1) Bailey being up for chief vs some outsider.
2) Kepner and Jackson; are they done/will Kepner leave?

I sort of see Kepner on her way out. I don't know if she has her contract renewed through next season, but between her heroic stance atop that wreckage at the end of the penultimate episode of this season and her saying she wants to leave for the warzone, I can see how they could let her character go on relatively strong terms. I'd miss her though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom