• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S11 |OT| The ol' ticker just won't quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

I stopped watching this show during the plane crash and Lexie died. It's ridiculous how much tragedy a freaking show about doctors has to the doctors themselves.

Then Derek? I'm so glad I don't watch it anymore.

It's like she can only create drama through main character deaths.
Derek could have moved away or something. But no, she had to kill him.

Same shit with Bones.

How does it make sense for him to move away from his children?

Deadly

I hope this is the last season. I don't think many can keep watching it beyond this; including myself.
Unfortunately it probably isn't. Yesterday's episode was ABC's 2nd highest viewed show :lol

I don't know. Maybe a job somewhere else, a medical research or something. Anything would have been better than killing him.
That's exactly what he had in DC but they had him come back because he realized his family was more important. Storywise that makes total sense. They should have just made him become a stay-at-home dad and have him referred to offscreen.

I really doubt they make the 2 hour funeral special next week actually good with having alot of characters return but I'd love to be proved wrong.

I think they did irreparable damage to the show with Derek's death. The one-two punch of Yang departure vs Derek's absurd death...

...yeah.

I agree. This show is trying to be Game of Thrones with all these deaths.

Apparently, the only way to leave Seattle Grace/Sloan-Memorial is by DEATH.

The body count is just silly now.

I think the most insulting thing about the episode is that fans watched for years as Meredith and Derek play their ridiculous back-n-forth/tug-of-war. Just as it seemed like the writers were going to push the duo into a realistic examination on sustaining marriage and a professional career

DOWN

Banned
That was a ridiculously grotesque way to ruin the draw of seeing Meredith do better than her mother's disappointments and her own fears told her she would. No more good ending for her or the show.

I can't imagine Meredith getting into a new relationship, unless the show runs for like five more seasons to give some decent time for her to move on. So, at this point, she probably ends up single just like her mom, except I suspect Meredith will be a better mother. Hard for me to imagine how they wrap Meredith's story in a nice way.

#MersTimeToShine

Joni

After giving it a night: I think they were betting on two horses. Either the 'ABC death slot' would have their ratings drop so much they had to cancel, in which case they could write a happy ending. Otherwise they had to find a way to have the show continue with Mer and without Derek. So, they see the show keeps going strong in the fall and over the winter they decide to go with plan B, keeping the show without Derek.

That's exactly what he had in DC but they had him come back because he realized his family was more important. Storywise that makes total sense. They should have just made him become a stay-at-home dad and have him referred to offscreen.
It means you can never show the house or the kids again without wondering where Derek is. You can't give Amelia an almost impossible case without thinking, why doesn't she just ask her brother?

Unfortunately it probably isn't. Yesterday's episode was ABC's 2nd highest viewed show :lol
Even beat Scandal.

I can't imagine Meredith getting into a new relationship, unless the show runs for like five more seasons to give some decent time for her to move on. So, at this point, she probably ends up single just like her mom, except I suspect Meredith will be a better mother. Hard for me to imagine how they wrap Meredith's story in a nice way.
She makes her kids happy while replacing Hunt as Chief of Surgery. She'd have 'everything' she wanted.

Velcro Fly

Shows should end before actors wanting to leave ruins them

This was the only way for him to leave the show. No way he leaves Meredith/his kids.

To me this show was always about those two and now that he's gone there is no real point to watch the show.

I was so fucking mad when they killed O' Malley and this just makes me even more mad.

If the show hadn't already jumped the shark, it sure has now. There's no going back from this either.

Joni

Shows should end before actors wanting to leave ruins them
I think that depends on the type of show. It can work for ensemble shows like Grey's Anatomy and ER. For instance, in the case of ER it means cancelling after season 8 at latest and more likely after 5 when George Clooney leaves. You'd miss the best Robert Romano, Luka Kovac, Abby Lockhart storylines. You'd have no Sam, no Tony.

Guys, I think this show is only a big hyperbole.

They are all doctors trying to save lives each day, but in the end, they can't save themselves.

Gibbo

This show is so heavy handed in its delivery thag its sickening. The way meridith lectured the junior doctor who was crying outside the hospital, and the other doctor who wanted her to sign the papers, showed everything i hated aout the show

Joni

Looking back to season 1, Derek is only the second main character they killed, three just left and four are still around. If you take into account, all other people ever listed as main characters, you need to add Mark McSteamy and Lexie Grey into the list of people killed with another five just leaving.

This show is so heavy handed in its delivery thag its sickening. The way meridith lectured the junior doctor who was crying outside the hospital, and the other doctor who wanted her to sign the papers, showed everything i hated aout the show
I was expecting her to hire the junior doctor right on the spot.

Took me A day, but I appreciate those speeches most of all. I thought the death of Derrick was the death bell for this show. Unrecoverable. After giving it some thought, had to realize that they're setting up for the next few years. This moves Mer into new and interesting territory. A hybrid of her mom, and something else. Those speeches showed a clinical detachment and accepting of situation that could only come from the character they've been chiseling these last few seasons. She's about to become an incredible surgeon and an incredible leader. The entire hospital and direction of the show is about to change. I suspect that the next character to go will be The Chief. Not Owen.

Also, they respect the audience enough to avoid given Meredith any kind of love story. This death of Derrick will be a defining event for a very long time. I suspect, too. That they won't burden the audience by allowing this to shape her via extended grief and depression.

This show is playing a very real gamble right now. No need to bring Yang back.

sphinx

the piano man
This series has always been "Final Destination -Hospital Edition"

Everybody dies when the contract is done. it's strange how incredibly realistic it looks when watching the episodes but if we think about it, it's so ridiculous.

I think even Izzy would have died of her disease if Katherine Heigl had been honest about her wanting to leave the show instead of asking for less screen time to be with her children,

gimmmick

Stupid fucking movie for them to kill off Derek. I'm guessing he wanted to move on from the show and this was the only way they could write him out of the show. It sucks because Derek and Grey were one of the reasons why I enjoyed watching the show to begin with.

They need to finish this god damn show soon, I'm guessing everyone will die from a huge earth quake and the hospital collapses.

TheContact

Don't like this show. Tried watching it with my wife but she started freaking out because they said they killed a main character and she won't watch the episode now. She said the same thing about that housewife show tho. Forgot the name.

jrush64

Banned
Don't like this show. Tried watching it with my wife but she started freaking out because they said they killed a main character and she won't watch the episode now. She said the same thing about that housewife show tho. Forgot the name.

Is it Desperate Housewives? Because they killed one of the main characters towards the end of the show. Also kind of pointless as the show was ending soon.

I got depressed for a whole day.... We invested 10 years of our lives with this character and their relationship only to kill him off?

Why he couldn't stay in DC for the rest if the show and then reunite him with Mer in the last episode?

Why killing him like this with an awful way to die, he is conscious and can't talk while hearing the stupid doctors making the wrong call?

That's it... This show needs to end next season.

Enough with the main characters leaving all the time.

I still can't believe they killed the most beloved character like this... The show will feel so empty now, never going to have the same amazing feelings for the first 5 seasons.

pharmx

That was surprising. But at the same time, it was certainly not: Dempsey doesn't want to do a lot of acting anymore. They probably publically announced they would renew his contract for two years so they could surprise people.

So was the contract really renewed, or was that all just a farce? Or are we still going to see bits of Derek in dream/flashback sequences until contract expires?

Joni

So was the contract really renewed, or was that all just a farce? Or are we still going to see bits of Derek in dream/flashback sequences until contract expires?
We don't know, they might just have renewed him for a certain number of episodes.

Joni

I haven't watched this show in years, but it's annoying to see Shonda still kills characters off when they want to leave the show rather than let them leave gracefully

She let eight main characters just leave, she killed four where two of them were dads with kids that stayed on the show.

Roo

Is it Desperate Housewives? Because they killed one of the main characters towards the end of the show. Also kind of pointless as the show was ending soon.
I watched the DH finale and I don't remember anyone being killed at the end D:

It didn't happen in the finale. It was before the finale. like 4 episodes I think.

The only show to successfully kill off the main character before the series finale was Six Feet Under, and even then, it was for story purposes.

By killing Nate off four episodes before the finale, the show totally flipped the entire premise on its head. Suddenly, it's revealed that all those ghosts that were played off as the characters internal monologues for the entire series were actually ghosts.

I watched the DH finale and I don't remember anyone being killed at the end D:

Mike Delfino was shot on the front porch by some loan shark.
It was a dumb, unnecessary death. If it weren't the last season of the series while I was binge watching it on Amazon Prime + fast forwarding, I would've stop right there.

I don't know what I should do with Grey's Anatomy. I'm thinking of just letting the series continue until it's over, then binge watch it.

Asami208

Banned
It does seem like Shonda Rhimes's go-to option whenever an actor/actress wants to leave the show is "let's kill the character off in the most gut-wrenching way possible." Sure there are exceptions, but she's done it so many times that I get the sense that that's the first idea that pops into her head whenever a performer wants to leave. And that gets old/repetitive after awhile. You can do it every so often, but if you overuse it (like she has imo), then it's no longer "dramatic" so much as annoying. The audience shouldn't be able to see a plot point coming ten miles away because you've gone to that well so many times. And killing off characters closes the door on the possibility of them returning for guest-appearances in the future (unless you use flashbacks, hallucinations, dream sequences, or other such silliness). It's something that most shows try to avoid whenever possible, but not here.

Deadly

It means you can never show the house or the kids again without wondering where Derek is. You can't give Amelia an almost impossible case without thinking, why doesn't she just ask her brother?
He's upstairs doing x thing for me, he's working in the garden, etc. Silent phone call and then 'hey Derek thinks.....' It could work. Wouldn't be ideal but better than killing him off.

Joni

He's upstairs doing x thing for me, he's working in the garden, etc. Silent phone call and then 'hey Derek thinks.....' It could work. Wouldn't be ideal but better than killing him off.

I hate it when shows do that. An old local children's show had at least three major characters that never appeared including the love interests of both main characters.

Protag

Banned
The series has to be ending after Derek's death. Its a little nuts what te body count is like to date for the series man if it was my life, id think i was cursed or something.

Killing O'Malley and Lexi were weird choices, among other things.

That said when chasig cars played in that scene with the two of them, that got me.

Asami208

Banned
Not to mention that everything about it was INCREDIBLY sloppily/lazily written, from beginning to end. It's like no thought whatsoever went into this, which is probably the case.

Roo

It didn't happen in the finale. It was before the finale. like 4 episodes I think.

Mike Delfino was shot on the front porch by some loan shark.
It was a dumb, unnecessary death. If it weren't the last season of the series while I was binge watching it on Amazon Prime + fast forwarding, I would've stop right there.

I don't know what I should do with Grey's Anatomy. I'm thinking of just letting the series continue until it's over, then binge watch it.

Oh yeah. I remember now D:
I agree with you. That death was totally unnecessary. Guess they needed a dramatic plot twist near the end.

Joni

The series has to be ending after Derek's death. Its a little nuts what te body count is like to date for the series man if it was my life, id think i was cursed or something.
Four main characters, that is all. Two of them in the same accident.

Killing O'Malley and Lexi were weird choices, among other things.
O'Malley was pure vengeance.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not three weeks ago I said "Nah, the actor who plays Derek is probably just recording some movie or wanted some time out. Derek and Meredith are the main characters of this entire story, there's no way in hell that they'll kill him or that he'll leave his wife AGAIN and stay in DC" and here we are.

This last Season, this entire Derek vs Meredith fights and relationship issue have been the most annoying thing so far. We had to endure a whole season of Meredith being a "always grumpy, you're doing that again" kinda character, with Derek being a stubborn "this is my calling" character just to have them redeem each other (Meredith is all like "I don't need Derek, but I choose to live with him" and Derek is all "I was wrong, my family is the most important thing, I came back for my family") to just kill him off? That's weak.

After giving it some thought, had to realize that they're setting up for the next few years. This moves Mer into new and interesting territory. A hybrid of her mom, and something else. Those speeches showed a clinical detachment and accepting of situation that could only come from the character they've been chiseling these last few seasons. She's about to become an incredible surgeon and an incredible leader. The entire hospital and direction of the show is about to change.

The whole "I don't need him, but I chose to live with him" and her "streak" make this point really strong. They could probably be totally doing that. However, I still everything I said before is valid: It was a shitty resolution to a 10 year arching story. Which brings us to our next problem:

I think that depends on the type of show. It can work for ensemble shows like Grey's Anatomy and ER. For instance, in the case of ER it means cancelling after season 8 at latest and more likely after 5 when George Clooney leaves. You'd miss the best Robert Romano, Luka Kovac, Abby Lockhart storylines. You'd have no Sam, no Tony.

That is also totally a valid point. The only issue is that this show is not called Seattle Grace. This is Grey's Anatomy. It's really hard to have this story without having Meredith Grey in it. They could have easily moved the Grey/Shepherd family to DC (as apparently both actors are tired of doing this), have Derek working with the president and have them gracefully leave the series. Give the house to his sister, focus on her solving her issues and her relationship with Owen, bring new interns, start over.

The way it is now, we're stuck with Meredith's character, with an actor that probably doesn't want to play the role anymore, with crazy death stories around her, forever expanding family with half sisters and a TV show whose rating is still through the roof.

Joni

The only issue is that this show is not called Seattle Grace.
The hospital isn't either.

The way it is now, we're stuck with Meredith's character, with an actor that probably doesn't want to play the role anymore, with crazy death stories around her, forever expanding family with half sisters and a TV show whose rating is still through the roof.
Pompeo is thinking about quitting acting after Grey's Anatomy, but she still seems connected to the show with even hinting about resigning after 12.

adelante

The only way any more deaths should be allowed is if Godzilla arrives and blows the hospital up.

This cracked me up good lol!

Haven't seen the latest couple episodes. Gf got spoiled on Derrick's death and she felt the need to do the same to me, haha. Not that it matters anyway, this show has long faltered. Even the soundtrack hasn't been great for a few seasons.

Honestly, I've been feeling like for a while now they're setting up to replace the whole cast. There's a new Dr. Shepherd now, and there's even a new Grey in the wings with Meredith's half-sister. Personally, I think they would have moved forward with everything even faster, had the new characters not been so awful and unpopular, but I fully expect the zombie of this show to shamble along after Pompeo leaves.

DOWN

Banned
So what season does Grey's Anatomy start to fall apart?

Season 4. Seasons 1-3 made TV history, and it was still pretty A list through a few more even after those first few, but never as golden as the first setups.

So what season does Grey's Anatomy start to fall apart?

Seasons 1-4 are the best (which is probably true for most TV shows, in that it gets a bit worse as time goes on)... but truthfully, I still enjoy it even now. Some episodes lag on or are just down right bad, but on average, it's fun to think about how characters have come and gone or completely changed throughout.

My interest in Grey's was at its peak in seasons 1 -3. The writers strike during season 4 caused me to lose a little bit of interest in it and I eventually dropped off. I got back into it occasionally right at the season finale where 007 died :(.

sphinx

the piano man
for me It started to fall apart when it became too crowded with characters that had little to no charisma. Season 7-8 onwards I think

I actually cared for the original cast.

Katherine Heigl may be a nightmare to work with but the whole thread about alluciations because of sickness, that was very well played.

I liked that season, the one when George dies.

a couple of meh things happened though:

Meredith's failed suicide attempt, Burke leaving Cristina in a casual way, Addison being a badass at the beginning of season 2 then being kind of lame as the series went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom