• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP!!!! GAF'ers sell me a Vita !

LoveCake

I have lots of retro consoles, last gen Wii, PS3 & X360, my X360 got the most use, this gen i have a 3DS & WiiU since launch, PS4 & PC, i have thought on & off about getting a Vita before but i just didn't get on well with my PS3 & only had the Uncharted games & a few other exclusives, i didn't like what i was hearing about the Xbone & Kinect, i have Kinect with my X360 & it's a waste of time imo so i switched to PS4 for the main platform this time (i am getting Forza Horizon 2 for my X360) i also dropped my Gold Live sub for a PSN+ one & i have downloaded quite a few of the Vita games or added them to my list thing.

I have loved my 3DS but the games are now getting a bit thin on the ground, i have about fifteen to twenty games & a few more digital games, i mostly play AC-NL & Mario Golf World Tour on it now & the StreetPass games, i have Smash Bros coming for my WiiU.

I have money to spend so it's a choice between a Xbone & Vita but i need advice, is the Vita worth it?

Also a couple of questions that would be helpful is answered.

What is the battery life like, it says six hours for the wi-fi slim (version i want)
What size card do i need or is best to get, i know the biggest is best, but what size are the games that are downloaded?
What games should i look out for or get?
How does it work with the PS4 as a second screen (is it any good for menus etc, not interested in remote play)?

The pack i am looking at getting is.

PS Vita WiFi Slim Console Black + 16gb Memory Card + 10 Game Download Voucher
- LittleBigPlanet
- WipEout 2048
- MotorStorm RC
- Little Deviants
- Frobisher Says! (with Frobisher's Super Fun Pack)
- Ecolibrium (with Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum game packs)
- Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
- Lemmings
- Hungry Giraffe
- Rotating Octopus.
£159.98

Also
PS Vita Official 8gb SD Card inc 5 Game Action Voucher PS VITA

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
PlayStation Allstars: Battle Royale
God of War: Chain of Olympus
Killzone: Liberation
£29.86

Total £189.84

I have looked at the problems the Vita had at release & thought i will stay away, there are also not many games in the shops, but i have seen people on here say that it is on the Sony Store where the games are.

Any help & advice is appreciated.

The vita is a good machine and well worth the purchase if for no other reason than PS4 remote play alone. Playing driveclub and bloodborne from anywhere on the planet with a solid connection? you're telling me that's not worth a couple hundred bucks?

The only downside is that Sony knows this thing is a dud, and it's not going to be getting any more AAA titles. strictly an indie machine from here on out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's been quite a few compelling indies on it already.

I have the O.G. OLED model- I usually get about 4 or 5 hours out of it? hard to say, since i'm usually plugged in with it.

Card size doesn't matter, since you own a PS3/PS4. download the games you want to your consoles and just swap them on and off the card when it gets full. memory card size is the worst argument about the vita there is. I couldn't even tell you what size my card is anymore, it's irrelevant.

One the best handhelds ever made with equally squandered potential.

I don't think I'd say "squandered." it's not like sony intentionally designed a bad system and didn't support it. It's amazing hardware even a couple of years after launch, and there are plenty of really good games to be found on it.

The market for dedicated portables is just being destroyed by smartphones. There's not a ton sony could have done about that. you can point to "memory card prices!" all day, but the market will happily buy overpriced tablets with laughable amounts of memory for twice the cost of a vita all day long. Roll into iphone/android GAF and see how many of them are salivating for the next nexus tablet, despite the price point and despite the fact it's not all that much different than existing devices.

It's an uphill fight for sony and nintendo- nintendo might stick it out a bit longer, but neither one of them will be making dedicated portables 10 years from now.

That first paragraph is the longest run-on sentance I've ever read in my life. A period never killed anyone.

Anyway, I would recommend a Vita to you only if you are ok with using it for either PS4 remote play, or playing games that you can play on other consoles/PC, but on the go. The Vita doesn't really have many true exclusives. If you are ok with that, then great! Go get one!

I would save to buy Curtain Call, Story of Seasons, Persona Q, Fantasy Life and Pokémon.

But between XBO and PSV, go with Vita for sure.

LoveCake

I got a Vita at release. I've been looking at developing a game for one. Here are my thoughts in response to your questions.

What is the battery life like, it says six hours for the wi-fi slim (version i want)

Yeah, you do get a minimum of six hours as long as you treat the battery properly. I get 8 hours on my PS Vita 2000 though.

What size card do i need or is best to get, i know the biggest is best, but what size are the games that are downloaded?

16GB or 32GB if possible. You run out of space so fast my friend.

I thoroughly loved Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice, really recommend those. Killzone Mercenaries, Uncharted and Gravity Rush all solid titles too. Silent Hill Book of Memories was an awesome dungeon crawling game. Honestly the Vita has lots of really enjoyable games. Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X/X2 HD remakes also look beautiful on the Vita.

How does it work with the PS4 as a second screen (is it any good for menus etc, not interested in remote play)?

It's difficult to tell the difference at times. You do see a small amount of compression but it's negligible. I haven't yet had any lag issues.

Honestly the bundles are tempting but those games are digital and use up the entire space of the memory card. Sometimes it's better to buy the system by itself and games separately. If you go to CashConverters.co.uk, they have one in my local store for £89.99 and check out our online shop. Prices new are still really expensive.

Firstly thanks for the quick replies.

@WraithBringer Ah i see so the games basically come on the memory cards, can i just delete the games i do not want from it?

The games on the cards i am interested in in the packs are;

LittleBigPlanet
WipEout 2048
MotorStorm RC
Lemmings

Hmmm maybe used for the console is the best way to go :/

killatopak

Gold Member
Vita means life.

Seriously. This little but awesome thing rejuvenated my love for gaming. I wouldn't be at this forum anymore if not for this guy.

Fantastic handheld if you like to play games. There's at least one game for everyone and it has plenty of exclusive, the question is, are you interested in them?

a picture is worth a thousand words, you are welcome

XWSMLLX.gif

aka you should buy a Vita ASAP

It's really great if you buy a 64 GB memory card. Access to all PS Plus games, PS1 games and PSP games.

Also Persona 4 Golden, which is a masterpiece and its equally good predecessor Persona 3 Portable. The gamed you mentioned in the OP are all well worth the price of admission as well.

Sakura

If you like niche Japanese games then yea the Vita is cool I guess, but none of those seem to be listed in your OP, so I'm not sure it is a good purchase for you.

I do not know about the PS4 compatibility (since I do not have a PS4), but if you're looking for original titles and not ports of other games on more powerful systems, the Vita is not for you. The Vita library is atrocious. It might have the worst library of the first couple of years of any system I've ever bought . But again, I just want original exclusives and not ports of Indies and console games, so that makes the Vita a terrible choice if that's what you're looking for.

Basically, if you want great exclusives, do not get the Vita. If you find playing a lot of Indies and console ports on a portable handheld, then it is great.

The hardware is great, but for me, without a decent library it's useless. And the entry price for the portable version is ridiculously terrible.

If you're still iffy about it and don't want to take that big of a financial risk, and do not mind being stuck to a TV, you can always try the Playstation TV.

legacyzero

Banned
Vita is amazing. Also, you should have a PS+ subscription and a WAY bigger card than 16 LOL.

-Rogue Legacy
-Minecraft
-Final Fantasy X HD
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-and countless free games with PS+

I've enjoyed my Vita very much.

Silvawuff

It's a solid system. I like mine very much, but it's not for everyone. It's got a great ecosystem of JRPGs, indies, and a sprinkle of older PS content that's great to play on the go. Look at its library of games. If you see at least 4-6 titles you must play, get it. From the sound of your post in the OP, you've already mentally bought one; just take the next step and go for it.

Keep in mind that memory is still very expensive and limiting, so also factor in whether you're going all digital, physical, or a mix of both. Getting a decent memory card will kick up the price by close to another 100 quid.

Persona 4 Golden. There, you have been sold on the Vita.

Gravity Rush and Ys are excellent as well. But really, those three games plus Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster are the only games I own for my Vita and I love my Vita. Totally justified purchase. I even have Persona 1-3, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, amongst others on my memory card and there's tons of games that are out that I'm still dying to get to play on it (DanganRonpa 1 and 2, Mind Zero, Demon Gaze, etc.) and there's even Tales of Hearts R coming that I'm crazy anticipating. It's all about the games, really. If it has the kind of games you like, then you must get one.

LoveCake

I always say if you need to be sold on a console you really shouldn't get it but hey, it's your money.

It is not so much about being sold really, i would like one, but there has been so many negatives about the console floating about for a few years now, i have a 3DS but i am becoming tired of it, i know there are not that many games coming out for the Vita like the 3DS i suppose i just wanted to hear from others that have he console.

I think i may go for the Five game action pack & get a 64GB card, i have had a look on ebay etc at the used Vita's, but they are all the original 'fat' ones, all the 'thins' are are either BIN £10-£20 from RRP or have been bidded up to the £120-£130 mark & i would rather spend £20 more & get a brand spanker.

It is not so much about being sold really, i would like one, but there has been so many negatives about the console floating about for a few years now, i have a 3DS but i am becoming tired of it, i know there are not that many games coming out for the Vita like the 3DS i suppose i just wanted to hear from others that have he console.

I think i may go for the Five game action pack & get a 64GB card, i have had a look on ebay etc at the used Vita's, but they are all the original 'fat' ones, all the 'thins' are are either BIN £10-£20 from RRP or have been bidded up to the £120-£130 mark & i would rather spend £20 more & get a brand spanker.

Not many games coming out for the Vita? Guess you missed this thread. (On the contrary, it feels to me like there's not that much coming out on 3DS this year.)

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I have lots of retro consoles, last gen Wii, PS3 & X360, my X360 got the most use, this gen i have a 3DS & WiiU since launch, PS4 & PC, i have thought on & off about getting a Vita before but i just didn't get on well with my PS3 & only had the Uncharted games & a few other exclusives, i didn't like what i was hearing about the Xbone & Kinect, i have Kinect with my X360 & it's a waste of time imo so i switched to PS4 for the main platform this time (i am getting Forza Horizon 2 for my X360) i also dropped my Gold Live sub for a PSN+ one & i have downloaded quite a few of the Vita games or added them to my list thing.

I have loved my 3DS but the games are now getting a bit thin on the ground, i have about fifteen to twenty games & a few more digital games, i mostly play AC-NL & Mario Golf World Tour on it now & the StreetPass games, i have Smash Bros coming for my WiiU.

I have money to spend so it's a choice between a Xbone & Vita but i need advice, is the Vita worth it?

Also a couple of questions that would be helpful is answered.

The pack i am looking at getting is.

PS Vita WiFi Slim Console Black + 16gb Memory Card + 10 Game Download Voucher
- LittleBigPlanet
- WipEout 2048
- MotorStorm RC
- Little Deviants
- Frobisher Says! (with Frobisher's Super Fun Pack)
- Ecolibrium (with Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum game packs)
- Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
- Lemmings
- Hungry Giraffe
- Rotating Octopus.
£159.98

Also
PS Vita Official 8gb SD Card inc 5 Game Action Voucher PS VITA

God of War: Chain of Olympus
£29.86

Total £189.84

I have looked at the problems the Vita had at release & thought i will stay away, there are also not many games in the shops, but i have seen people on here say that it is on the Sony Store where the games are.

Any help & advice is appreciated.

As long as you know that AAA games won't be coming anytime soon, and you're OK with that, then it's a good buy.

I bought one like a month or two ago and it's a good handheld. Don't believe the naysayers, there are a lot of games for it. However, if you don't count indies and smaller titles as "real" games, then it's not the handheld for you. Personally, I like that I use it for bite-sized sessions. Perfect for when you're out and want a quick gaming fix.

Now to answer your questions:

- I have the OLED and it has like 4-5 hours? I don't keep count and I normally plug it in when I know I'll be playing for long periods.

- I have the 16GB and it's OK-ish. Get the biggest one you can if budget isn't a concern.

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Killzone Vita
- Thomas Was Alone
- Lumines (one of my fave franchises of all time)
- The Swapper
- Rogue Legacy
- Dragon's Crown
...and tons more. Best thing is, you don't even need to buy any. Just get a PS+ subscription and download the freebie of the month, which is more often than not, a top-tier game.

- Very. Think of it as the Vita screen replacing your PS4 TV screen and controlling everything remotely. First time I used it felt kind of odd and I felt a little giddy. I mean, I can friggin' use my PS4 console from another device? Far cry from when I was blowing cartridges to make 'em work! :D

Do a search on Metacritic for Vita games, OP. If you see more than five titles you want, go get it. Vita owners are a happy bunch, while those who don't own it are quick to judge it as a port machine. Again, seeing as you're on GAF, you know already that there won't be AAA games on it. But if you like indies and you're planning on using Remote Play at some point, it's a no-brainer.

Not many games coming out for the Vita? Guess you missed this thread. (On the contrary, it feels to me like there's not that much coming out on 3DS this year.)

The problem is, most of these are ports or really niche Japanese games, while the 3DS has full original retail games on the horizon. If you have all the systems that the TC has, I would not recommend getting a Vita since he can play most of the Vita's content on systems they already have, and he hasn't shown any interest in the obscure Japanese titles.

Prelude.

The problem is, most of these are ports or really niche Japanese games, while the 3DS has full original retail games on the horizon. If you have all the systems that the TC has, I would not recommend getting a Vita since he can play most of the Vita's content on systems they already have, and he hasn't shown any interest in the obscure Japanese titles.
This is the type of stuff that people who know nothing about the Vita's library keep saying.

Which "full original retail games on the horizon" the 3ds has?

16 GB is guite enough for starters. I still use that after almost 2 years. Of course I would love to just go with 64 gigs and stuff everything in there but with 16 honestly I can have enough games in there not to be switching all the time and still have a great variety of games. My 16 gig card is holding ATM:

Atelier Rorona Plus, Sly Raccoon HD, Muramasa Rebirth, Final Fantasy X-2 HD, Everybody's Golf (5 ''big'' vita games)

Pinball Arcade, Hotline Miami, Stealth Inc, Kung Fu Rabbit, Spelunky, Monsters Ultimate HD (6 ''small''/indie vita games)

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (1 PSP game)

Resident Evil 1+2, Mickey's Wild Adventure, Toy Story 2 (4 PSX games)

So that's total of 16 games and I still have lil over 300 MB free space. Definately enough variety for me not to constantly be switching games around. Of course it depends what kind of games you want to put in there but hopefully you get some kind of idea what 16 gigs can hold.

32 gigs is definately more than enough for starters. 64 only if you really got some money you want to burn.

This is the type of stuff that people who know nothing about the Vita's library keep saying.

Which "full original retail games on the horizon" the 3ds has?

I have a Vita (since launch), so why am I not allowed to criticize the library? I know full well what the Vita has for a library and it doesn't interest me as someone who prefers original exclusives over what the Vita currently offers. While the 3DS has games I am really hyped for (Smash Bros., Pokemon, Story of Seasons, Persona Q, Monster Hunter 4, Fantasy Life, Bravely Second, plus a bunch that are Japan-only at the moment, but I won't count those until a localization is announced), the only game I am excited for on the Vita is Phantasy Star Nova, which probably won't even release in the US anyways.

I just do not buy portables for ports and Indie games, so I do not like the Vita. If that's something you like, then great. I understand why some people love the Vita, but for people like me, it is the biggest dust collector of a system I've had in years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Unless you want it as a Persona 1-4 and Disgaea 1-4 machine, skip it and go for the other system you want. IMO. The system has been "dead" to me since PSO2 pretty much was silently canceled for a western release. No point in owning it outside of grinding JRPG's now. :/

Prelude.

I have a Vita (since launch), so why am I not allowed to criticize the library?
Where exactly did I say that you're not allowed to criticize it? I know that you have a vita and that you think its library it's terrible, that's why I just said that you're mis/uninformed.
What you're not allowed to do is just making stuff up.

I know full well what the Vita has for a library and it doesn't interest me as someone who prefers original exclusives over what the Vita currently offers. While the 3DS has games I am really hyped for (Smash Bros., Pokemon, Story of Seasons, Persona Q, Monster Hunter 4, Fantasy Life, Bravely Second, plus a bunch that are Japan-only at the moment, but I won't count those until a localization is announced), the only game I am excited for on the Vita is Phantasy Star Nova, which probably won't even release in the US anyways.

I just do not buy portables for ports and Indie games, so I do not like the Vita. If that's something you like, then great. I understand why some people love the Vita, but for people like me, it is the biggest dust collector of a system I've had in years.
The Vita has a lot of original exclusives, just because you don't like them it doesn't mean that they're ports or indies. Do I really have to make a list? Because if you really were informed you'd know what I'm talking about.
The 3DS' library is worthless to me, but I don't make stuff up saying that it's just ports and indies because it'd be just a big fat lie, just like yours.
Oh, and the indies are just a plus over the rest of the titles, why would you not want more games?
Smash is just a botched port btw.

I have a Vita (since launch), so why am I not allowed to criticize the library? I know full well what the Vita has for a library and it doesn't interest me as someone who prefers original exclusives over what the Vita currently offers. While the 3DS has games I am really hyped for (Smash Bros., Pokemon, Story of Seasons, Persona Q, Monster Hunter 4, Fantasy Life, Bravely Second, plus a bunch that are Japan-only at the moment, but I won't count those until a localization is announced), the only game I am excited for on the Vita is Phantasy Star Nova, which probably won't even release in the US anyways.

The Vita have a lot of exclusive games. You may dislike them or saying they're not "original enough" but that doesn't mean they don't exist. And I like how you say you like "original" exclusive but most of them are sequel or not original at all.

Eh, I regret getting mine, especially since there are a lot of games that come out I can just get on my PC. I get why people like it though I guess. I like my Japanese games but not when the bulk of them we get are dungeon crawlers and MH clones. If you didn't get X game on PS3 though I can see it being handy though. I might keep mine for awhile if there is a game that is a PS4/Vita game I actually want, since I have no interest in buying a PS4
The Vita have a lot of exclusive games. You may dislike them or saying they're not "original enough" but that doesn't mean they don't exist. And I like how you say you like "original" exclusive but most of them are sequel or not original at all.
I think his use of original was more aimed at the amount of ports on the Vita. At least that's what I think he meant by that.

And you are allowed to make stuff up I see?

Where exactly did I say that you're not allowed to criticize it? I know that you have a vita and that you think its library it's terrible, that's why I just said that you're mis/uninformed.
What you're not allowed to do is just making stuff up.

The Vita has a lot of original exclusives, just because you don't like them it doesn't mean that they're ports or indies. Do I really have to make a list? Because if you really were informed you'd know what I'm talking about.
The 3DS' library is worthless to me, but I don't make stuff up saying that it's just ports and indies because it'd be just a big fat lie, just like yours.
Oh, and the indies are just a plus over the rest of the titles, why would you not want more games?

Smash is a botched port? What? It's literally a completely different game than the Wii U version. Stop making shit up, please.

You can make a list if you want, but it's not going to change anything. Whenever anyone who loves the Vita recommends it, they mostly recommend it for the ports and Indie games and not any of its exclusive retail titles outside of a couple. Which is fine, but if you're not into that thing, it's not going to get you to buy a Vita.

RK128

If you have PS+ already and plan on picking up a 32GB card down the line, you are already set to get a Vita man :D!

I mean, you are going to be getting a LOT of great games with those Mega Packs (Wipeout, LittleBigPlanet, Batman Blackgate, Killzone Liberation, Injustice, ect), so you will have a lot to play right out of the box :).

I think it is a good idea to get a Vita, though it largely depends on a few factors:
- Do you mind Sony not really supporting it with strong first party going foward?
- Do you mind getting a big Memory Card in the future?
- Are you plaining to stay a PS+ memeber for a long time?
- Are you open to a variety of different game types?

If you fit with any of the above, then jump right in and love your Vita man :D!

My recommendations include the following:
- Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment
- Persona 4 Golden (I'm sure someone mention this already, but still XD!)
- Sonic Racing Transformed
- Velocity X2
- Persona 3 Portable
- Gucamelee
- Tearaway
- Gravity Rush
- Killzone Mercenary
- Dragons Crown

Hope this helps and you love your Vita :).

Prelude.

And you are allowed to make stuff up I see?
Smash is a botched port? What? It's literally a completely different game than the Wii U version. Stop making shit up, please.

:^)
You guys get baited too quickly as soon as Smash is mentioned.

You can make a list if you want, but it's not going to change anything. Whenever anyone who loves the Vita recommends it, they mostly recommend it for the ports and Indie games and not any of its exclusive retail titles.
Source.

You guys get baited too quickly as soon as Smash is mentioned.

Source.

Source: This thread. Most of the recommendations thus far have been for ports and Indies. Which is okay, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the reason people love the Vita is for that content and being able to play them on the go.

And why the hell are you trolling the 3DS and troll baiting people? Seriously? Are you trying to pinpoint us as fanboys or something?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Tis my favourite handheld of all time by a mile. It doesn't get AAA games anymore because when it did have them nobody gave a shit. But still Vita is the best option for AAA gaming on a handheld thanks to the games it already has plus remote play. Indies are where it's at for the system going forward and the library is fantastic for these games right now plus the future is very bright. Smaller titles like this are perfect for portable gaming and the indie support Vita has is a big reason the system is so damn good. The Vita has an amazing library for a handheld and I say it's a must buy. Just make sure you get a big memory card.

Top Bottom