• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: First Ebola case is diagnosed in the US (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://bloom.bg/1nGZfLm

The first Ebola case has been diagnosed in the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control said today in a statement.

A hospital in Dallas had been testing a person based on their travel history and symptoms, said in a statement earlier today. Another patient was being evaluated at a National Institutes of Health facility. It’s not clear if either patient is the one referred to in the CDC’s initial report.

vwMin.jpg

I was just thinking this morning how readily we were willing to commit billions of dollars to go to war with an imagined threat (Iraq) and how hesitant the world has been to spend money and put resources into going to war with an actual threat (ebola) that in worst case scenarios, could kill millions of people.

World, you be crazy.

Mully

I'd hold off on the "this is the end ," and, "I live an hour away from there," posts until the press conference. Ebola likely won't spread that far in a country with a modernized healthcare system.

The CDC predicted for a few cases to enter the country for months. I'm sure the CDC and many other government agencies are more than prepared.

I was just thinking this morning how readily we were willing to commit billions of dollars to go to war with an imagined threat (Iraq) and how hesitant the world has been to spend money and put resources into going to war with an actual threat (ebola) that in worst case scenarios, could kill millions of people.

World, you be crazy.
We could go military Resident Evil on Dallas.

2008_10_01_viaduct-night.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
I'm sure there's really nothing to worry about, but it's still scary to have such a dangerous disease confirmed in the US (in a city I live about 3 hours away from, no less).

SmokyDave

I'm willing to provide safe shelter to hot Californian blondes. In addition, I'll gladly store any spare 60's muscle cars until you guys, um, get better. Yeah, that's it, get better. Please send the paperwork with 'em just in case.

Cheers.

Renzoku

Banned
Can we forbid flights out of Africa to the US now please? And for people going over there of their own free will, can we please not let them back into the country for like three months or something?

Sephzilla

I know this is over the top but really, close all in/out transport to Texas until we see if any more ebola cases pop up. This seriously can't be allowed to spread.

Time to shut down the UK and preserve the great British way of life.

We're an Island for a reason. We'll survive and retake our rightful place as the one true leader of the world.

Ebola likely won't spread that far in a country with a modernized healthcare system.

I thought about this today and I don't think this is entirely true because we have a family friend who's daughter has been sick (not ebola), but I imagined what if it was and nobody knew until it was too late?

Some of the same reasons that ebola is able to spread virulently in Africa are present here because it's really a human thing. If your daughter or mother or wife is sick, you'll want to hold her and comfort her. There are any number of ways in which one could come into contact with the bodily fluids of a loved one while caring for them before it's even diagnosed as ebola. And with many Americans still lacking in health insurance, some may choose not to go to a doctor's office for a diagnosis and treatment.

The US may be able to execute an information war better and disseminate the info faster and of course we have better hospitals and medical care, but there is a human element of it that is difficult to control before an infected individual has been verified as infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom