• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: First Ebola case is diagnosed in the US (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
Offering shelter in Montreal Canada.

I have a replica katana for defense and a well stocked home arcade Tekken3, NBA JAM, VF4 and more.

Guyze come over pls

riotous

Banned
I'd hold off on the "this is the end ," and, "I live an hour away from there," posts until the press conference. Ebola likely won't spread that far in a country with a modernized healthcare system.

The CDC predicted for a few cases to enter the country for months. I'm sure the CDC and many other government agencies are more than prepared.

It's just people making light of it.. On par with posting knocked over lawn chairs during storms (that kill people.)

It's not really funny or clever but oh well.

Tugatrix

guys you know what to do

tom-clancys-the-division-trailer-massive-ubisoft.jpg

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
That disease killing people in Africa is not just their problem anymore. Hopefully this will mean a higher global focus.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That disease killing people in Africa is not just their problem anymore. Hopefully this will mean a higher global focus.

Well the US was already going to send 3,000 troops to Africa to help build clinics...this will just mean more support hopefully.

A-V-B

It's just people making light of it.. On par with posting knocked over lawn chairs during storms (that kill people.)

It's not really funny or clever but oh well.

I think some people really are freaking out. And it's not totally wrong. Ebola is deadly as hell and should be treated with respect and vigilance. It's out of control in Africa, but that's because people are doing things that spread the disease, like stealing ebola-infected blankets and breaking out infected patients and not believing Ebola exists.

As long as we keep ourselves under control and be completely, totally vigilant about preventing this outbreak, we might be okay. And that's all we can do. Be smart, be alert, be calm.

commedieu

Banned
Really funny dude.

Get used to it. The theme since the outbreak has been luls, as it keeps breaking unprecedented records, and developments. And is now in America.

I think some people really are freaking out. And it's not totally wrong. Ebola is deadly as hell and should be treated with respect and vigilance. It's out of control in Africa, but that's because people are doing things that spread the disease, like stealing ebola-infected blankets and breaking out infected patients and not believing Ebola exists.

As long as we keep ourselves under control and be completely, totally vigilant about preventing this outbreak, we might be okay. And that's all we can do. Be smart, be alert, be calm.

Nothing to worry about at all with a population too broke to go to the doctor for the common cold or emergencies, let alone like ebola symptoms.

People do stupid stuff all around the world. Americans not going to hospitals for a myriad of reasons (old school fear, no money, no trust, whatever) is going to be a large issue in this country, that will contribute to the spread.

DarkFlow

Banned
Get used to it. The theme since the outbreak has been luls, as it keeps breaking unprecedented records, and developments. And is now in America.

Nothing to worry about at all with a population too broke to go to the doctor for the common cold or emergencies, let alone like ebola symptoms.

Yeah because panic is always helpful.

Mariolee

I hope they're OK. I'm still depressed at how little resources those in Africa have to combat this disease. Even those who do believe that Ebola is real are unable to get the care they require just because they're so many of them.

A-V-B

People do stupid stuff all around the world. Americans not going to hospitals for a myriad of reasons (old school fear, no money, no trust, whatever) is going to be a large issue in this country, that will contribute to the spread.

Well, if the apocalypse comes, it comes, doesn't it? Not much you can do except batten down and be smart. And very lucky.

I thought about this today and I don't think this is entirely true because we have a family friend who's daughter has been sick (not ebola), but I imagined what if it was and nobody knew until it was too late?

Some of the same reasons that ebola is able to spread virulently in Africa are present here because it's really a human thing. If your daughter or mother or wife is sick, you'll want to hold her and comfort her. There are any number of ways in which one could come into contact with the bodily fluids of a loved one while caring for them before it's even diagnosed as ebola. And with many Americans still lacking in health insurance, some may choose not to go to a doctor's office for a diagnosis and treatment.

The US may be able to execute an information war better and disseminate the info faster and of course we have better hospitals and medical care, but there is a human element of it that is difficult to control before an infected individual has been verified as infected.

Are you a vampire? Do you have sex when they're visibly sick?

jmdajr

Luckily I have hundred of hours of sick time!

And life insurance who... who knows is going to collect. I don't have any next of kin on the moon.

Sanjay Gupta on CNN said guy in Dallas was in West Africa, Liberia to be exact, flew back to Dallas but wasn't sick on plane. Started feeling bad afterwards and went to hospital, where blood was drawn and then diagnosed.

A-V-B

Sanjay Gupta on CNN said guy in Dallas was in West Africa, Liberia to be exact, flew back to Dallas but wasn't sick on plane. Started feeling bad afterwards and went to hospital, where blown was drawn and then diagnosed.

Good. So prospects are better than some folks on here are thinking about. Hope we get more information.

Sanjay Gupta on CNN said guy in Dallas was in West Africa, Liberia to be exact, flew back to Dallas but wasn't sick on plane. Started feeling bad afterwards and went to hospital, where blood was drawn and then diagnosed.

that's fucking great. I hope everyone on that plane is ready for an ass checking from a government agent ala E.T.

DarkFlow

Banned

So it sounds like he knew what the symptoms were, was aware the area had Ebola, and then went to the Hospital.

Left Liberia Sep 19th and arrived in Dallas Sep 20th. But wasn't sick at time. Only became sick a few days later. According to CNN.

Let's hope they work fast tracing the contacts etc. It's vital it's stopped as quick as possible, it's highly unlikely to cause too big an outbreak but it's rather unsettling.

commedieu

Banned
Yeah because panic is always helpful.

If all you read from my post is panic, welp. Thats on you, but I'll try again.. Panic does not mean putting immediate effort into extinguishing Ebola, and tracking down everyone this person has been in contact with. I know there is a lot of denial about ebola. People have been downplaying it all the while its exploding out of control, and is now in America.

There is no uncontrollable or irrational comments being made. There is a precise action that needs to be taken, and the culture in America & Healthcare is a problem. There is room in the middle, its not either panicked or pretending this isn't anything to worry about because of reasons.

Left Liberia Sep 19th and arrived in Dallas Sep 20th. But wasn't sick at time. Only became sick a few days later. According to CNN.

Thats between the 2-20 day window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom