• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: First Ebola case is diagnosed in the US (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckless

Would you really be next to a family member to be spit on? Or be coughed? There are more than fever symptoms too.

At the beginning the symptoms are very similar to the cold or the flu so yeah lots people people stay near a family member that has the cold or flu. Getting coughed on isn't some unlikely scenario if you think the person just has a cold.

Krejlooc

Banned
rt68DNW.png

is this sarcasm? "Thanks obama" in response to a confirmed ebola case? I honestly can't tell.

we have a outbreak in Dallas Texas. He's climbing in your windows and infecting your people up, trying to transmit ebola to them so ya'll need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband because they're expose everyone up in here.

commedieu

Banned
That is what I'm getting from all your posts, and I'm not the only one.

I'm aware of everyone who thinks like you, as I said, which is why I tried again to put into perspective what you and others are calling panic. There is ebola denial going on thats been happening since it was only a few hundred people. So, the more historic records that keep happening and the worse this is all getting, has me focusing on the problem spreading out of control. The reasons why things are better in america, aren't that much better than stealing bodies from a hospital, when you have a population that does avoid medical treatment for multiple reasons. The initial symptoms aren't even anything to really write home about, and most folks will probably wait it out in contact at work, with their families, and whatever else you do in public.

We have you saying "panic never helped anything." when I'm just discussing problems in our healthcare system that will contribute to the spread of ebola. And we have a historic outbreak which has reached america now. The list keeps getting worse in the face of those trying to downplay the situation. Its an insult to be told that I'm sitting here flailing my arms irrationally or whatever your personal description of panic is, when its a legitimate issue in America. Quite a lot of people do not frequent hospitals.

This comment alone can easily incite panic.

The CDC and epidemiologists have regularly mentioned that a few cases may reach the US, but there's little evidence that it could become a true pandemic given it's form of transmission.

No offense man, but you regularly post up conspiracy theories and stuff about, "the next apocalypse," as if you want it to be true. You're not a person people can trust given your credibility and your belief that Ebola can suddenly become airborne at a moment's notice.

From an evolutionary standpoint, it's been known that viruses and organisms only begin to mutate when they feel outside pressure. HIV and AIDS only began to mutate after certain drugs successfully fought back. So far, there's little treatment for Ebola and there's little need for it to adapt. Ebola is essentially a lazy virus right now because it's good at what it does and there's little pressure for it to change. That outlook could change once vaccines are given to the public, but as of right now there is NO EVIDENCE that Ebola will become airborne and a pandemic.

Incite panic for lifting CDC/WHO wording to describe this mess? And no, the post about me "thinking it can suddenly become airborne at a moments notice" is absurd. That comment was about there being a cure( I remember the at a moments notice bit), so start making it on a mass scale immediately. Wait, no, that was about the treatment trials starting. The airborne comments -- was reflecting WHO Chief, Dr. Margaret Chan "“This is not an airborne virus. Transmission requires close contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person, also after death. Apart from this specific situation, the general public is not at high risk of infection by the Ebola virus,” explained Chan. “At the same time, it would be extremely unwise for national authorities and the international community to allow an Ebola virus to circulate widely and over a long period of time in human populations… Constant mutation and adaptation are the survival mechanisms of viruses and other microbes. We must not give this virus opportunities to deliver more surprises.”" This is interesting to see all this about me. In what world am I posting about "the next apocalypse" and shit that I want to be true? I'm a broke black man. I'm not getting any Ebola serum. There is nothing to look forward with. Again, its exactly the CDC's reasons why it wont happen in the USA that doesn't factor in the citizens inability to actual get into hospitals due to it being too expensive, or cultural fear of hospitals, or anything else. Which is specifically what I am talking about. I agree with you, there is NO EVIDENCE that Ebola will become airborne.

Now about that healthcare system in our country that is going to be counter productive to eliminating an outbreak.

My credibility has nothing to do with anything I'm posting. You know people that are afraid of the doctor, just like I do. You're also aware of our porous borders, shipping, and the sheer number of undocumented people from all over the world in America. Counting on the idea that the cdc said its ok because wealthy cities have very good healthcare, isn't much to put faith into.

GhaleonEB

From the CDC conference:

Flew to the US on the 20th.

Symptoms on the 26th. Went to hospital, isolation on the 28th.

CDC is seeking out those he was in contact with after symptoms began.

Pedrito

There have been cases in Senegal and Nigeria and it didn't spread so the chances it could spread in the US, with some of the best hospitals and protocols in place, are about nil.

A-V-B

Overall it sounds pretty positive. Very little time to infect people. Though I'm sure anyone who was in during his first visit to figure out what he had, including his initial doctor, are all gonna be watched.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sure sounds like their primary defense is quarantine not treatment but how do you quarantine something where the infected realize this and think if I go for help, they'll lock me up and let me die :(

This doctor doesn't inspire confidence with his word choice.

"Remember, you can't spread Ebola if you aren't infected." Ummm, duh?

"We don't know how this individual became infected." Ummm, he came in contact with body fluids of someone who was infected?

A-V-B

Sure sounds like their primary defense is quarantine not treatment but how do you quarantine something where the infected realize this and think if I go for help, they'll lock me up and let me die :(

1. We do have ways to try and treat someone infected with ebola
2. So you don't infect a ton of people you care about.

reckless

You have a better chance of living in a hospital, there is no cure but being in a hospital greatly increases your chances of surviving.

Also hopefully people will think about stopping themselves from spreading to others.

Nivash

Plenty of time to infect lots of people. Nice to know.

In case you missed it earlier in the thread: Ebola isn't infectious before symptoms begin. He would only have been able to infect anyone during the two days between the first symptoms and him getting to the hospital. And poorly at that, since Ebola is only reasonably infectious later on when you get to the whole fluid expulsion phase.

Mully

This doctor doesn't inspire confidence with his word choice.

"Remember, you can't spread Ebola if you aren't infected." Ummm, duh?

"We don't know how this individual became infected." Ummm, he came in contact with body fluids of someone who was infected?

He meant people that are showing symptoms of Ebola. If you have Ebola, but aren't showing symptoms, you can't transmit the virus.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
1. We do have ways to try and treat someone infected with ebola
2. So you don't infect a ton of people you care about.

People aren't very logical when afraid.

You have a better chance of living in a hospital, there is no cure but being in a hospital greatly increases your chances of surviving.

Also hopefully people will think about stopping themselves from spreading to others.

The narrative for vaccine in this country right now couldn't have happen at a worse time.

EDIT2: CNN is spreading that fear education.

A-V-B

This guy was infectious for TWO days before he was placed in isolation. The virus is live in the field now.

No way to know to what extent, and tracing his contacts, there's plenty of time to monitor them and keep them from spreading the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom