• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: First Ebola case is diagnosed in the US (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

So he basically had four days to come in contact with others. If they isolate those he came in contact with BEFORE they start showing symptoms, they'll be able to contain it.

Kud Dukan

This guy was infectious for TWO days before he was placed in isolation. The virus is live in the field now.

I highly doubt, given that he was in Liberia and suddenly getting sick, that he was going about his days as usual once he started getting sick.

A-V-B

So he basically had four days to come in contact with others. If they isolate those he came in contact with BEFORE they start showing symptoms, they'll be able to contain it.

Yup. And knowing he came from Liberia, he probably wasn't spending time going to parties.

rt68DNW.png

Can't help this is mildly racist.

TTTR

oh shit oh shit oh shit
i work in the health industry
if this shit (or some other even more horrible shit) gets airborne i WILL be wearing a hazmat suit when treating patients. can't afford to close my practice.

jmdajr

If you feel like shit stay home, away from others, go to the doctor.

Best excuse going forward.

"Boss I could come into work but...EBOLA."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stream says that the person was feeling fine for 4-5 days after arrival before he went to the hospital.

And that's after arrival, he could have been feeling fine for more than two weeks since he contracted the disease.

The real issue is not that a patient in the US has ebola, it's that we have reached enough of a high contraction level that it is is/will spread in various industrialized countries, some of which are highly populous and poorly equipped to deal with this, and the disease is more likely to spread to other countries once it reaches those as they are more visited by international travellers than the affected African countries.

Really, at this stage, it's very unlikely that it hasn't reached China or India or potentially Europe as well. It is from there that the spreading rate might increase significantly.

I'm aware of everyone who thinks like you, as I said, which is why I tried again to put into perspective what you and others are calling panic. There is ebola denial going on thats been happening since it was only a few hundred people. So, the more historic records that keep happening and the worse this is all getting, has me focusing on the problem spreading out of control. The reasons why things are better in america, aren't that much better than stealing bodies from a hospital, when you have a population that does avoid medical treatment for multiple reasons. The initial symptoms aren't even anything to really write home about, and most folks will probably wait it out in contact at work, with their families, and whatever else you do in public.

We have you saying "panic never helped anything." when I'm just discussing problems in our healthcare system that will contribute to the spread of ebola. And we have a historic outbreak which has reached america now. The list keeps getting worse in the face of those trying to downplay the situation. Its an insult to be told that I'm sitting here flailing my arms irrationally or whatever your personal description of panic is, when its a legitimate issue in America. Quite a lot of people do not frequent hospitals.

People don't go to the doctor. The emergency room is another story. In fact the problem is too many people go to the emergency room because they don't want to go to the doctor.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm aware of everyone who thinks like you, as I said, which is why I tried again to put into perspective what you and others are calling panic. There is ebola denial going on thats been happening since it was only a few hundred people. So, the more historic records that keep happening and the worse this is all getting, has me focusing on the problem spreading out of control. The reasons why things are better in america, aren't that much better than stealing bodies from a hospital, when you have a population that does avoid medical treatment for multiple reasons. The initial symptoms aren't even anything to really write home about, and most folks will probably wait it out in contact at work, with their families, and whatever else you do in public.

We have you saying "panic never helped anything." when I'm just discussing problems in our healthcare system that will contribute to the spread of ebola. And we have a historic outbreak which has reached america now. The list keeps getting worse in the face of those trying to downplay the situation. Its an insult to be told that I'm sitting here flailing my arms irrationally or whatever your personal description of panic is, when its a legitimate issue in America. Quite a lot of people do not frequent hospitals.

"People that think like me"? You mean rationally?

From the CDC conference:

Flew to the US on the 20th.

Symptoms on the 26th. Went to hospital, isolation on the 28th.

CDC is seeking out those he was in contact with after symptoms began.

Actually the individual started showing symptoms on the 24th but, did not seek medical care until the 26th. On the 28th the individual was put into isolation. So the person was infectious for about four days before he or she was was put into isolation. That is a decent amount of time to infect nurses, doctors, friends, family, and random people.

It is not contagious until symptoms appear

Timeaisis

That's literally what I just said.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

He was allowed to go home a few days(?) after visiting the hospital with symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom