• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: First Ebola case is diagnosed in the US (Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

So it sounds like he knew what the symptoms were, was aware the area had Ebola, and then went to the Hospital.

We've been very fortunate on that end. That people coming back from these places are very keen on watching themselves, and at the first moment of sickness they check themselves in.

Roommate flying back from Texas today... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuclk

virus.gif

Nivash

I'm surprised the US even got a case this early on. Sure, it was always possible, but there are tons of other neighbouring countries in Africa that are far more at risk. Oh well, the CDC has already initiated a contact trace. Even if the has infected someone else they'll identify them soon enough.

A-V-B

I'm surprised the US even got a case this early on. Sure, it was always possible, but there are tons of other neighbouring countries in Africa that are far more at risk. Oh well, the CDC has already initiated a contact trace. Even if the has infected someone else they'll identify them soon enough.

The crazy thing is the stuff you can't really trace. What if he left infected sweat on an ATM machine in a really busy area? Wild guess: that's where you're fucked. So fingers crossed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just seal the border to Texas. They're rugged individualists there anyways, right?

DarkFlow

Banned
If all you read from my post is panic, welp. Thats on you, but I'll try again.. Panic does not mean putting immediate effort into extinguishing Ebola, and tracking down everyone this person has been in contact with. I know there is a lot of denial about ebola. People have been downplaying it all the while its exploding out of control, and is now in America.

There is no uncontrollable or irrational comments being made. There is a precise action that needs to be taken, and the culture in America & Healthcare is a problem. There is room in the middle, its not either panicked or pretending this isn't anything to worry about because of reasons.

Thats between the 2-20 day window.

That is what I'm getting from all your posts, and I'm not the only one.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it's in the US, it probably is in China and India too.

Hylian7

I was already planning to go to Dallas already this weekend. I realize it is contagious, but I seriously doubt they are just letting this person walk around freely.

TEJ

I probably don't have much reason to be scared, but i'm very frightened right now. I live just five hours away, and......I don't want to die.....

Nivash

The crazy thing is the stuff you can't really trace. What if he left infected sweat on an ATM machine in a really busy area? That's where you're fucked. So fingers crossed.

That kind of transmission is barely theoretical. True, Ebola can infect surfaces contaminated with body fluids, but the documented cases exclusively deal with very large quantities (such as in the understaffed wards in Africa). Sweat is also unlikely - patients don't produce contaminated sweat until fairly late in the process and because sweat dries so fast it's a poor contaminant.

Zeth

Where can I watch the press conference?

I'm not sure if this was intended to be funny, but it is.

Can we queue up the footage of that guy being helped out of the back of an ambulance a while back? Is there a gif of that?

If all you read from my post is panic, welp. Thats on you, but I'll try again.. Panic does not mean putting immediate effort into extinguishing Ebola, and tracking down everyone this person has been in contact with. I know there is a lot of denial about ebola. People have been downplaying it all the while its exploding out of control, and is now in America.

There is no uncontrollable or irrational comments being made. There is a precise action that needs to be taken, and the culture in America & Healthcare is a problem. There is room in the middle, its not either panicked or pretending this isn't anything to worry about because of reasons.

No, we get it, we do. However, you are very focused on the failings, and nothing on other countries, ones that more closely mirror ours, and the fact that things have already slowed down there. Time will tell, and that isn't to say that this should take any less focus on the issue, both in general and just in West Africa specifically, but you are the other end of the extreme, where all hope is already lost, as oppose to just making light of it.

Raptomex

After some research ebola is not spread through the air or water. I feel better.
When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with

- blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, feces, vomit, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
- objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
- infected animals
- Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.

If you must travel to an area affected by the 2014 Ebola outbreak, protect yourself by doing the following:

- Wash hands frequently or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid contact with blood and body fluids of any person, particularly someone who is sick.
- Do not handle items that may have come in contact with an infected person’s blood or body fluids.
- Do not touch the body of someone who has died from Ebola.
- Do not touch bats and nonhuman primates or their blood and fluids and do not touch or eat raw meat prepared from these animals.
- Avoid hospitals where Ebola patients are being treated. The U.S. Embassy or consulate is often able to provide advice on medical facilities.
- Seek medical care immediately if you develop fever (temperature of 101.5°F/ 38.6°C) and any of the other following symptoms: headache, muscle pain, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, or unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Limit your contact with other people until and when you go to the doctor. Do not travel anywhere else besides a healthcare facility.

A-V-B

That kind of transmission is barely theoretical. True, Ebola can infect surfaces contaminated with body fluids, but the documented cases exclusively deal with very large quantities (such as in the understaffed wards in Africa). Sweat is also unlikely - patients don't produce contaminated sweat until fairly late in the process and because sweat dries so fast it's a poor contaminant.

Thanks.

Kathian

Banned
History tells us the biggest danger will be for this to spread into IS and then the home states of many of these fighters when they return home. As it is this spread is a bit too random; though I guess international airports are another challenge, but I don't think its easy enough to spread.

Mully

There is no uncontrollable or irrational comments being made. There is a precise action that needs to be taken, and the culture in America & Healthcare is a problem.

This comment alone can easily incite panic.

The CDC and epidemiologists have regularly mentioned that a few cases may reach the US, but there's little evidence that it could become a true pandemic given it's form of transmission.

No offense man, but you regularly post up conspiracy theories and stuff about, "the next apocalypse," as if you want it to be true. You're not a person people can trust given your credibility and your belief that Ebola can suddenly become airborne at a moment's notice.

From an evolutionary standpoint, it's been known that viruses and organisms only begin to mutate when they feel outside pressure. HIV and AIDS only began to mutate after certain drugs successfully fought back. So far, there's little treatment for Ebola and there's little need for it to adapt. Ebola is essentially a lazy virus right now because it's good at what it does and there's little pressure for it to change. That outlook could change once vaccines are given to the public, but as of right now there is NO EVIDENCE that Ebola will become airborne and a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom