• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Teslagrad on Steam (five copies)

maxcriden

268x268.resizedimage

This Metroidvania is a cool, minimalistic, 2D puzzle/platformer with an emphasis on polarizing mechanics. (I shamelessly stole that description from Yuterald's OT.)

ss_72b1b9eb756d7e96ad463c57d606c6c9c2283bc6.600x338.jpg

It's a really neat and kind of under-appreciated game and I thought more GAFers might like to give it a shot, so I have some copies to give away. (Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the company and am not an astroturfer.)

So, tell me about one of your favorite Steam games you've played this year, and you can win one of five region-free Steam copies of the game. Screenshots, video, OST samples are encouraged.

I'll pick winners in a couple of days! BTW, you can enter as many times as you like, but you can only win one copy yourself.

Phawx

Currently enjoying The Long Dark.

There are some interesting design choices vs games in general, but also including other survival games.

For instance, opening containers needs to be done one by one and there is a purposeful pause included, yet there are automated tasks for fetching wood and boiling water. It's the idea of focusing on the exploration/hunting/gathering that's got me interested.

Plus the art direction is quality.

Metal Gear Rising Reveangeance on PC

After seeing LPs of this game on consoles, I desperately wanted to play it, and when it came to Steam I couldn't be happier. 60 FPS, great controller support, and suplexing a giant Metal Gear Ray to this song really gives you that "Wow! Video games!" feeling.

I've put almost 50 hours into the game, and beat it countless times. Probably my game of 2014.

Spazznid

Remember Me.

The Art Design
gaming-remember-me-concept-art-2.jpg

The Music
Madame Boss Ost

The Gameplay
gg3-gaming-gifs-7+(1).gif

A lot of people will disagree, but I enjoyed the combat, repetitive though it may be.

I loved everything about it, but on top of all that, I can run it at 4K with over 60 fps.

Ozium

I've been playing They Bleed Pixels an action platformer set in a lovecraftian world... It's really fun but frustrating at times, a lot like super meat boy in how often you will die... the game has an interesting mechanic where the more blood you collect by doing combos and killing enemies, the faster you get a chance to drop a checkpoint down... If you are a fan of action platformers you should check it out, especially now that we are in October and it has a horror theme..

cheers

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
VVVVV is everything a game should be. Tight controls, addicting music, and the burden of success is placed on the solely player's skill. No grinding or handholding, which has pervaded far too many games these days. It can run on a toaster, so nobody has an excuse why they haven't played it.

If you've played the game, you know what this is
soundtrack sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j6pe043L4

Shovel Knight was another game I hold in similar regard.

It even has gaf's favorite bad rats

isitstill

I've been playing Half Minute Hero 2. The first game has a permanent home on my PSP and Vita, and the sequel getting an English release was like a dream come true!

The Half Minute Hero games are a pair of quick, witty, puzzle RPGs with 16-bit graphics. There's really nothing else like them.

If you've never played one, I'd recommend the first game. Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but I prefer it to the sequel. Both are great though!

Honorable mention: Spelunky (The Great Game). I'll never stop playing.

av2k

Rogue Legacy is one of my favorite games to play with on Steam. It's even more enjoyable when I play it using my joystick.

272603-h1.jpg

2vIgQo0.jpg

I configure my top row of buttons with attack/power/magic and my bottom row with movement based options- jump, dash back, dash forward. It's by far one of my favorite games to relax to.

nexen

Divinity: Original Sin is the best game I've played in a long while.

Story is ok. Writing is a bit amateur. Graphics are pretty good.
But that combat ...

Oil burns, water (and blood) conducts electricity, smoke obscures vision. The world is just littered with these things. Combine them with elemental spells like 'shock', 'fireball', 'ice' and 'rain' and throw in utility spells like 'teleport' and you have a recipe for awesome.

It has this wonderfully consistent Mario-logic about it. Once you know what you are doing you can easily come up with amazing strategies in any given combat scenario. You'll feel like a Fantasy Combat God by the time the credits roll as your flaming, stunned, poisoned enemies fall like shattered glass all around you.

Just absolutely brilliant. I hope future RPG games steal as much as possible from it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Neat idea. Teslagrad always stuck out to me for its art style (and for the name I guess. Tesla was cool even if he seemed sort of crazy.) Hopefully someone sells me on a game, a lot of the stuff I've played on steam this year was not bad, but not great either.

Volgarr the Viking:

eb217cf2c26435a3289466f34eb2b0fd8d654f65.jpg

photo_1.jpg

My first 100% on Steam. Chose this game since a 100% felt like it meant something.

I really liked it. Very old-school, uncompromising difficulty, all about gameplay. I once thought I would never beat this game, and now I won the A ending with only 9 deaths (albeit with a youtube walkthrough for Path of the Valkyrie, else it would have driven me insane). Quite a feat. The level design was awesome but the enemy placement and attack routines were very brutal, and the enemy reset techniques used in many old games was not useful in this game; very unforgiving. Many times I found myself stopping at a section, realizing the complexity of what I had to do, and saying, “eff you Volgarr the Viking”.

Now it may sound like the immense difficulty was a negative (and at times during playthroughs I might have felt that it might have been), but in retrospect I'm glad the game was the way it was. I respect the devs for sticking to their vision of the game despite the immense criticism.

The hardest boss was the A ending boss, then 2nd boss, and the rest were relatively easy. And I emphasize “relatively” as nothing in this game was remotely easy, but the least hardest things were the bosses outside of the last boss. However, I can’t imagine how nightmare-ish the boss battles would be if all attack patterns were randomized.

Loved the music, the controls were very responsive, fun ending, fun, fun, fun!!

Fireblend

Banned
I'm gonna have to go with:

Click to watch trailer | Click for Steam page

I love atmospheric games. I love solving puzzles, and I love exploration platform games with cool gimmicks. Ever since I heard about this game last year I knew I'd love it, but for some reason (actually, it was my Wii U and 3DS) I let it collect virtual dust in my Steam library. Until last week! I found myself wanting to play a moody atmospheric and mysterious game, and after a brief glance at my Steam collection I knew the time had come to check this out.

And wow, I was blown away. Few games nail so many elements of their design and implementation so well - puzzles, atmosphere, story (made very non-intrusive here except for some story-heave scenes near the end, not that it bothered me as I'm a huge sci-fi lover and this was really well written and genuinely creepy and interesting), music, visuals... I'm not one to care about visuals usually, but wow, the love put into every single object in this game and its unique visual style is incredible - and not only is each of those aspects perfect, they come together so nicely to create such an immersive and complete experience that I can't help but figuratively stand back and admire it as a whole.

Needless to say, I finished it in one sitting. 4 hours of greatness. I love indie games, as nebulous as that term actually is, and my posts over at the Steam thread and all throughout GAF leave no space for doubt regarding that, and The Swapper is a perfect example of why I do. It's a short, cohesive experience that can be enjoyed in a relatively short time, and that doesn't need to be one second longer than it is nor include more ideas than it attempts to deliver. There are good examples of "big publisher games" that fit that criteria, such as Ubisoft's Valiant Hearts and Child of Light, but I doubt those would even exist in the first place if games as conceptually successful as The Swapper didn't exist.

Anyway, here's a cool OST sample (and another) and some pictures, because what I wrote about its breathtaking visual style doesn't really make the game justice:

I recently went through Mark Of Ninja. It was in my backlog for almost a year now, but when the 6.82 update dropped I decided to play some games from my backlog until Dota would be fixed. I decided on Mark of Ninja and it did not disappoint. In fact I wish that I got to play it sooner.

All I knew about the game going in was that I was a ninja, it's a 2D platformer and there is stealth. I had no idea how stealth could work in a non-3D setting, but these guys did a splendid job. The way they made the stealth work makes the game feel almost like a 3D world. The way this game introduced new abilities tied well with the story.
I figured that the girl was an illusion from the tattoos and at the end it was made clear. If I did not choose to kill her then I would have succumbed to the tattoos and lost my true self and honor.

You dare give away a non-Nintendo platform game?! I THOUGHT WE WERE BROTHERS!!!

XD

Also funny as this IS on Wii U. Not sure if it's out yet though, I think it is.

Hugstable

Banned
I already own Teslagrad and don't need it, but I can might as well join in in stating my favorite Steam game so far this year. To those who like Roguelikes and Rhythm music games, Crypt of the Necrodancer manages to merge both genres and come out feeling like a completely fresh, and very challenging game. You move you character around to the beat of the music while go through caves in search of treasure and your next exit. Everything is controlled by the movement arrows, and all your actions must go to the beat, or else you'll end up dead. Check it out in this video, as well as the steam page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBS5wUxiRUA

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ditto to that Swapper recommendation.^

You dare give away a non-Nintendo platform game?! I THOUGHT WE WERE BROTHERS!!!

XD

Also funny as this IS on Wii U. Not sure if it's out yet though, I think it is.

Wiki says it was released on Sept 11 on WiiU.

So, tell me about one of your favorite Steam games you've played this year, and you can win one of five region-free Steam copies of the game. Screenshots, video, OST samples are encouraged.
(Disclaimer: I should note I'm a bit biased here, since I was an alpha-access backer for the following game, and helped moderate the forums. Beyond that, though, I didn't make the game, nor do I see any financial gain from its success. I just really like the game!)

Freedom Planet never really gets enough love.

Basically, a guy decided to try and meld together Sonic, Mega Man, Rocket Knight Adventures and a variety of Treasure-esque multi-sprite mechanical behemoths in a single ode to Genesis platformers, eventually building up a small team to help make it reality. The funny thing is, despite the disparate gameplay styles listed there, it actually works.

You get to pick from one of three characters, all of whom play pretty uniquely. You could go for purple dragon girl Lilac, who can ricochet off of the walls like a pinball and is the fastest on foot. You could go for green wildcat Carol, who can climb walls a la Mega Man X or even ride a motorcyle straight up them. You could go for floppy-eared hound dog Milla, who can't throw a punch but can throw large green murder cubes instead. Heck, there's going to be two more characters released as free DLC later down the line. They're all quite fun to use, honestly.

The game has several large, flowing levels with plenty of curves and ramps that overall lend themselves very well to speedrunning. Just take a look at what some players are already doing with Lilac, Carol or Milla! There's a lot of room for impressive play here.

Not to mention, the soundtrack's really, really good. From the showy theme of Fortune Night 1 to the pumping bass beat for Jade Creek 1, the somber piano of Battle Glacier 2 to the determined Final Dreadnought 3, from boss themes minor to major to final, it's a real aural treat.

Not to say the game's without its flaws, of course. The plot, in particular, is a tad too wordy at the beginning, yet too terse by the end. It's sort of love-it-or-hate-it, but can conveniently be skipped entirely by playing the Classic Mode instead of the Adventure Mode if it bothers you so much.

So yeah, all-in-all, it's a really superb platformer I'd been playing off-and-on for several months that I'd handily recommend to anyone. There's a demo available on the game's website, if you just wanna give it a whirl.

Thanks for letting me know about this game OP. Whether I win or not, I'll definitely keep this game in mind when making future purchasing decisions =D Now to actually answer your question, one of the most memorable games I've played this year has got to be Shovel Knight.

Maybe it was just timing, and I hadn't realized how much I missed these kinds of games, but Shovel Knight just struck a cord with me. Besides being a a mechanically solid game, there's just so much character and heart to the whole thing. I found most of the NPC dialogue to be genuinely funny. One of my favourite moments of the game:

This has got to be my favourite track from the ost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYdZ89H4WcI

It just conveys that, "you have made progress" feel so well =)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Oh wow, awesome thread!
I can already see some recommendations here that seem right up my alley.

Will post a write up of my favorite recent game once I get back in front of a computer.

I played Super Meat Boy earlier this year and loved it
(also hated it, but in a good way)
. Very challenging platformer - tough, but fair. The frustration of replaying a level 50 times in a row is more than made up for by that sense of accomplishment and relief when you finally reach the end and get to watch all of your previous attempts unfold at the same time. I was reassured that I still have what it takes to beat a tough game when I beat Super Meat Boy.

I couldn't pick a single favorite, but here are two songs that I love from the catchy soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOL7wNNwmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySiAcwjvQMM

maxcriden

Oh wow, awesome thread!
I can already see some recommendations here that seem right up my alley.

Will post a write up of my favorite recent game once I get back in front of a computer.

I totally agree. Part of the fun of doing contests like this is getting to see these great entries as ideas for games to pick up. In case you didn't see it, this contest I did also has some really great game recommendations in it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895310

Amir0x

Banned
I thrust my sword forcefully toward my opponent as he lowered his guard. He dodged deftly backwards, the arc of my swing just barely missing him where he stood. My palms are soaked from gripping the controls so hard. The tension is palpable. I was on the edge, one or two screens away from my opponent winning. I knew my position was unenviable, but I've been here a thousand times before. I could turn it around with just a bit of luck. With some careful application of my fencing abilities, anything was possible.

It might even be possible to get that dick. And get that dick hard.

nidhogg_video_game_sc3pz4z.png

He flipped over my head and proceeded to dash, and without thinking I chucked my blade at the back of his head. He splattered his brains all over the floor, and I took my cue to run. I dash forward and try to get as far as possible, but like magic only a few seconds later there he appears to block my path again. I take a wild run at him and he swings his sword, only to catch air as I dodge roll under his blade and right past him. He stands still momentarily confused, and then tries to repeat my sword throw strategy. He misses. Running frantically, in my panic I miss a jump and fall into a pit. Again, my opponent is thrust in front of me. Maniacally, he casts a flurry of blows toward my avatar, and pushes me back on my feet slowly but surely. Eventually I watch his blows and time my parry and riposte perfectly, and he goes down yet again.

Mechanically I am again on my feet in a mad dash, trying to gain ground. Now I am but two screens away from victory. Beads of sweat accumulate on my forehead, as yellow once again appears to stop my progress. I'm so close now, I can almost taste it. Orange and Yellow stand at opposite ends, facing each other down. We size each other up, neither of us with the courage to make the move necessary to change the stalemate. I press the forward button in tiny increments, edging Orange ever closer to my prey (or am I the prey?). Eventually, we're but a few pixel sword swipes away from one another. The air seems to go out of the room, and I can barely breathe my heart is beating so hard. He takes the first action: three quick thrusts, driving me back. I flip over his head and forget my opponent, dashing through a closed door and into the final screen.

nidhogg_video_game_ani5lyu.gif

The fire in the background emulates the heat I am feeling. If I can just take him down here, there will be nothing left to stop my glorious ascension into dickworld. Nobody is going to stop me. This time I strike out, missing each shot. As he goes to return blows, I flip over his head one more time. He jumps and swipes but barely misses. I'm out of my seat now, frantically jumping up and down as I push my Orange character forward. In a last move of desperation, he tosses the sword at me and hits me one second before I got the dick. I could see it, you know. That sweet dick, waiting for me. The game ended eventually with my opponent achieving ultimate dickitude, and only the sweet nightmare of failure to salve my wounds.

Nidhogg is one of the best games of the year. My friends, please, get that dick.

autoduelist

Desktop Dungeons.

I played the free alpha and loved it, but the full version just blows my socks off. It's a old school roguelike boiled down to minidungeons, with tons of character classes and races mixed together to provide a stellar challenge.

By 'mini-dungeons', I mean the majority of dungeons are a single screen. You start out at level 1, and need to explore and figure out a way to defeat the boss on that level. This means doing your best to conserve resources, gain experience bonuses (killing an enemy of a higher level gives extra bonus experience, etc), and level up at the proper time to maximize use of your hp/mp. By the time you beat the boss, you might be level 7, or, if you really maximized the available experience pool, level 10+. This requires careful enemy management, skill/spell use, and even careful exploration (you recover hp/mp with exploration, but so do wounded enemies... so you really need to learn the best way to approach each level).

There are gods to pray to that can give great boons or great punishment. There are character classes that totally change your style of play. There are secrets to unlock. There are random-ish levels, there are fixed puzzle levels, there are tons of challenges and combinations to explore.

The game rewards a mathematical mind -- it's really about digging deep into the combat mechanics and figuring out how to win a level with a human monk, or a halfling mage, or a dwarf vampire.

This game isn't for everyone, but if you love roguelikes and want a challenge, it's the perfect bite sized puzzler. If you love math puzzles, you'll also likely love this. There's something special about figuring out a way to use your attacks/spells/etc. in such a way to overcome what seems like insurmountable odds. How can my warrior beat this boss that has 85% physical resistance and a poison bite? Which altar should I pray at? How can I leverage the mp/hp refill on level up best to kill an enemy 3 levels higher than me?

Such a great game.

Amir0x

Banned
Desktop Dungeons.

I played the free alpha and loved it, but the full version just blows my socks off. It's a old school roguelike boiled down to minidungeons, with tons of character classes and races mixed together to provide a stellar challenge.

By 'mini-dungeons', I mean the majority of dungeons are a single screen. You start out at level 1, and need to explore and figure out a way to defeat the boss on that level. This means doing your best to conserve resources, gain experience bonuses (killing an enemy of a higher level gives extra bonus experience, etc), and level up at the proper time to maximize use of your hp/mp. By the time you beat the boss, you might be level 7, or, if you really maximized the available experience pool, level 10+. This requires careful enemy management, skill/spell use, and even careful exploration (you recover hp/mp with exploration, but so do wounded enemies... so you really need to learn the best way to approach each level).

There are gods to pray to that can give great boons or great punishment. There are character classes that totally change your style of play. There are secrets to unlock. There are random-ish levels, there are fixed puzzle levels, there are tons of challenges and combinations to explore.

The game rewards a mathematical mind -- it's really about digging deep into the combat mechanics and figuring out how to win a level with a human monk, or a halfling mage, or a dwarf vampire.

This game isn't for everyone, but if you love roguelikes and want a challenge, it's the perfect bite sized puzzler. If you love math puzzles, you'll also likely love this. There's something special about figuring out a way to use your attacks/spells/etc. in such a way to overcome what seems like insurmountable odds. How can my warrior beat this boss that has 85% physical resistance and a poison bite? Which altar should I pray at? How can I leverage the mp/hp refill on level up best to kill an enemy 3 levels higher than me?

Such a great game.

Oh, I like the way this sounds, despite the fact I am abhorrent at math.

Ifrit

Rogue Legacy:

Metroidvania and Roguelike, this game rolls two of my favorites genres into one. The game starts out kinda hard, but once you level up a little you just can't stop playing it. Extremely recommended. Really enjoyed the remixed bosses, they're hard as fuck though

Music, gameplay and graphics are all awesome

I think that's my first and only game on steam I've completed all the achievements for, so that's saying something for me

zulux21

One Way Heroics
While the game is nothing special to look at the game can feel unique each time due to randomly generated worlds, and has plenty to do... but I am getting ahead of myself.

First what is this game?
It's a game where you pick a class, pick a few perks, and then walk right. Now you can walk left if you want, but there is some darkness chasing you and if you touch it... DEATH! So you will want to keep your Heroics going One Way... right :p

now after you pick a class you get to choose a world
from there you get to choose to play offline or online. If you play online other people who have played the world are wondering around as ghosts and offer you goods or exp for talking to them, if you play alone... well you are alone. There is no downside to playing online that I have seen so just take the benefits. You also get to choose to play on the walk in the park (which isn't as easy as it sounds :p) or on normal.
On walk in the park the game is designed to be done in about 20-30 minutes (on easy) with the boss showing up after you have gone right 400km. With the normal difficulty you will face the boss every so often with him running away after so many turns are taken.

When you start you start off in a castle, you want to talk to people there to get a few items to help you and then set off on your journey.
(no more screen shots from here on as my screen shot program broke ><)
As you go right enemies, towns, dungeons and other things will show up and we fall into rougelike gameplay such like that found in mysterious dungeon games where the enemies get a turn each time you take a turn and don't move unless you do. The enemies give you exp and sometimes item and gear and your goal is merely to get as powerful as you can before the boss shows up. There are tons of things hidden and the game ends up having a lot more depth then it first seems to as a lot of the content is hidden after you beat the game and get a lot better at it. As while the boss shows up after 400km on easy, you can get into thousands of KM on harder difficulties with tons of hidden things. You can even eventually recruit people to join your cause.

Now I won't say the game is the deepest game you will ever play, it's not, but it is loads of fun if you like roguelikes, and at the price it is ($3.49) it shouldn't be expected to have super deep everything or awesome graphics. For what it costs though it's a wonderful experience and an easy game to recommend to other people as it's the type of game you just pick up for an hour or two every so often and just have fun. Plus there is future content expected for it (more classes and people to recruit and plenty other things) that should eventually come to steam in the form of a free patch or cheap DLC. It's a shame in general this little gem has been so overlooked :(

I know I am not describing it very well, as it's easier to just see in action not my video but a fine gameplay video

but yeah if you have any questions about the game feel free to ask and I will try to clarify :p

rjc571

Banned
A Story About My Uncle is one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played.

Imagine taking Robbit from Jumping Flash! and injecting him with a cocktail of steroids and crack cocaine. And then throwing on a grapple beam and rocket boots for good measure. This is the basic premise of the gameplay in A Story About My Uncle, a first person platformer where your character must use his extreme mobility to tackle obstacle courses filled with insanely spaced out platforms, grapple points zipping around the level in complex patterns, giant floating evil eyeball guardians, and more.

It doesn't hurt that the game is stunning as well, combining beautiful environmental artwork with the technical muscle of the Unreal engine to create some breathtaking setpieces. The game is wrapped around a touching story of a man sharing his past adventures with his child. I'm not one to care about videogame stories and I usually ignore them completely, but A Story About My Uncle kept me intrigued the entire way through. The Other M esque bits of in-game storytelling provided a nice break from the usual frenetically paced gameplay.

The game also features insanely addicting (and possibly unbeatable!) time trials, as well as hidden locations which add more background to the game's plot and collectable items which unlock various easter eggs. If you've been lamenting the lack of 3D platforming in the industry today, give A Story About My Uncle a shot. You won't be disappointed. You may even be blown away!

maty

Nice giveaway!!

Continuing with the puzzle-platformer genre some of the best games I've played this year were:

The Swapper
header.jpg

Trailer
Great atmosphere and even better puzzles

Escape Goat 2
header.jpg

Trailer
Great sequel to an excellent puzzle platformer, The Goat and Magic Mouse return as they try to escape hundred of rooms of puzzles. Not only does the game have a new artstyle but it also brings new items to help you get through each room. Some require wits to complete while others require more platforming skills. EG2 comes with extra secret levels (some very hard to find) which can be accessed through a secret door in certain rooms. These provide an extra challenge like the 2nd campaign in the 1st game.

FEZ
header.jpg

Trailer
One of the best games I've played, from the puzzles to visuals and music, just amazing. I completed the game without the use of a guide but for 3-4 puzzles which were too obscure, which makes it even more rewarding for me. At first it seemed like a simple platformer but once I got into the world and understood how it worked I knew I was getting into something special.

Other fantastic games:

2D Action
Volgarr the VIking
header.jpg

Trailer
Classic 2D hardcore arcade action. At first it seems imposible to beat but once you start to get the hang of it, the game just clicks and with a little of practice and pattern learning you can beat it in minutes. The visual and music are awesome.
7 worlds with an alternate path only accessed if you are good enough, 3 endings. This game will grab you and not let you go.

Platfomer
Fly'n
header.jpg

Trailer
You control 4 "buds" across 5 different worlds. In each world a new bud is introduced with new abilities like sticking to walls or bouncing. Not only do you need to master these to get to the end but your also need to use your ability to switch between light and dark world to make platforms as well as some collectibles appear and disappear. Finishing the game is not super hard but collecting everything will provide a nice challenge.
The art and music are great, if you enjoy games like Rayman you'll probably like this.

Unexpectedly, Lethal League turned out to be one of my top favorites for the year for what's ultimately nothing more but a multiplayer title that delivers on its core concept with fantastic execution.

Lethal_League_Logo.jpg

If I were to boil it down to a single sentence, it'd be best described as Battle Pong with parries, one-hit kills, super moves and characters that each possess various different attributes (movement speed, ball trajectories, jumping arc quirks etc.) to differentiate themselves from one another. For a game as straight-forward as this, all of the 5 characters (with more in the pipeline) feel quite different due to their respective strengths and weaknesses, without it resulting into one character being head-and-shoulders above the rest. They're all 'viable' if you have a full understanding of the game's mechanics and utilize the most out of what's been given to them. Latch (the cyborg crocodile) has the lowest jump height for example, but he can climb walls to compensate, has wider arcs for his swing than most and eats the ball to temporarily interrupt the rhythm of a round - albeit not without a HUD notification for the opposing player to realize when he can strike back - if he activates his super. Candyman (the smileyface head guy) on the other hand can simply jump very high with floaty hangtime and has a special ability where the ball goes through walls for a short period of time (let's say little over a second), including the potential to reset this duration with each consecutive swing. Everyone has their 'gimmick' and it's a delicate balance where no one is particularly dominant, despite all odds.

There's more to the big picture though, elements that provide much needed depth with all the nuances that aren't immediatedly apparent when you're trying to make sense out of the frantic pace whilst you're learning the ropes. Bunting (see the purple glow) is a huge game changer; master it and it drastically reduces the hitlag (read: the animation where a character is frozen in place), builds more super meter and could throw off someone's timing, BUT you run the risk of the enemy intercepting it more easily (even with 4 available directions to help negate vulnerability) and of putting yourself in quite the pickle with considerably increased ball speed. Use it willy-nilly and you will get punished by any experienced player or worse, embarrassingly being smacked in the face due to whiffing. Parrying (indicated by a blue flash around the ball) comes to mind too; it depletes your entire super meter upon use no matter what, meaning you gain defense at the loss of offense and you look plain silly if the enemy doesn't fall for it whether by psyching you out with baits or not. You'll briefly stun the opposing player (long enough to maybe end the round) if successful however and you can even apply parries aggressively to stiffle the other guy's game flow with a little foresight, but it's certainly not an end-all be-all manoeuvre. Moreso an interesting dynamic that lends itself well to mental back-and-forths.

There are even more relatively minor intricacies worth noting - quick-jumping to accelerate your descent, charging up your swing (fairly dangerous) for multiple benefits, clashing with your foe as he's trying to hit your ball et cetera - and it all just adds up to precise, mindgame-centric dueling (with reflexes and timing at the forefront) as soon as both players can consistently visualize the majority of any given character's angles in front of them. Easier said than done of course, because the game continuously ramps up its speed (which admittedly can be fairly stressful) to ridiculous lengths and I wouldn't even be joking if I were to say it can ratchet up its pace well beyond the following instance:

hbafs2qrx6k.gif

Lethal League perfectly blends a simplistic core with layered complexity thrown into the mix and it does so without straying too far from the base formula. Sure, you could say you heard this all before with regards to other indie darlings, but in my opinion the developers did this well enough where I can genuinely say there's still room for improvement left after 40+ hours of playtime. Hours with barely a hitch online to boot; the dev team was sensible enough to integrate GGPO netcode for its multiplayer, unlike much-lauded competition such as Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn and Towerfall Ascension, each more expensive than Lethal League at that. And for what it's worth: if 1 vs 1 isn't your cup of tea or if you'd rather have more people involved locally, then there's always 2 vs 2 teams or 4-player Free-for-alls at your disposal. Which in turn, for better or for worse, are even more absurdly hectic.

Lastly: credit where credit's due concerning its audiovisual presentation. Lethal League has a stylized 2D look with some cool stages / character designs (including this boss) and the hiphop-esque music (choice sample #1 and #2) is reminiscent of Jet Set Radio, oddly enough. My only complaint is that I wish there was more of everything, primarily because the general aesthetic and soundtrack is so well done.

It's a solid, thoroughly entertaining multiplayer title with no (relatively speaking) insane dexterity requirements. Remember though: "no weak shit."

lt7wkem.gif
tqyju56.gif

Great giveaway! Will add others later. And of course my fellow gaffers delivering with great recommendations!

I will continue with the indie love and my props are to a relateively old game, LIMBO

Disclaimer: not a native English speaker so excuse me if I have some errors.

LIMBO is a puzzle-platformer, first game by Danish developer Playdead. The game was released as an Xbox Live exclusive. After a year the game was then ported to PS3 and STEAM, with OS X and Linux version following. Last year (2013) the game saw a release on PS Vita and iOS.

The game is a 2D sidecroller, with platforming and puzzle elements. The player must guide a boy through some hazardous environments and figure out how to continue. During this figuring out the player can cause some gruesome deaths to the boy.

The game´s presentation is very unique, as it is presented in black and white tones, film grain effect and some strange, horror sound effects that add a lot to the game´s mysterious presentation.

aWZdtcB.jpg

AY1JJnQ.jpg

NhuK3Bu.jpg

Review

I have a laptop with i3 and a low AMD discrete card (7650m), will the swapper run?

PseudoViper

Gotta say, I'm late to the party, but Shadowrun: Returns is like my favorite game this year. The dialog and scenery is awesome. Plus cyberpunk is a huge win in my books. Combat is legit, and can be challenging at times. Overall, it's an amazing game.

StingX2

First is the The Wolf Among Us, it took The Walking Dead S1 and topped it which I didn't think was possible. Bigby is a great protagonist dealing with an impossible job in a world that doesn't play by normal rules or fairy tale rules.

My other game is Shovel Knight, the first game I backed on Kickstarter that delivered me the best Mega Man in the last decade. I'm extremely excited to replay it with the boss characters.

My third game is Knightmare Tower, which I would usually write off as an endless runner but was extremely entertained by the game. It's a vertical endless runner that feels more game than most of them. You have a lot of control and building your skills to reach the towers top is extremely addicting.

Yeef

The three games I probably enjoyed this most this year on steam are:

Guacamelee - Solid metroidvania with a cool style, Street Fighter-like combos and tongue-in-cheek humor. Lots of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHN5_H4b08

Element4l - Fairly challenging platformer where you don't have direct control over your movement; you have to build momentum by switching forms and using the different of each form physics to get around obstacles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW7HDvOPiXo

Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming - Loved the first game. The difficulty of this one is a little lower, but the trade-off is that it has one, long ongoing campaign rather than lots of little one-off quests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpysV9f6u0U

Fireblend

Banned
Oh man, seems I'm gonna have to submit a second game to maintain my chances:

header.jpg

Click to watch Trailer | Click for Steam Page

Yes, I've been catching up this year :p last year's 3DS offerings kept me really busy, so some of the indie games I was looking forward to play like The Swapper and this one got added to my backlog. I got to play this a couple of months ago though, and it was mostly everything I wanted it to be. If you can't tell by my Swapper recommendation above, I'm a man of wild tastes, so I can appreciate both moody atmospheric games like it, and quirky games with funny dialog, silly internet meme references and talking, upgrade-granting goat-men like Guacamelee.

My love for metroidvanias is universal though, and man, did this one nail that. It's a brilliant mix between the usual metroidvania formula (much more so than The Swapper, as you're expected to do plenty of backtracking through the game's areas, even more so if you want to 100% it, which is what I went for) and a sidescroller beat-em-up, with what simply is one of the most fun sets of combat mechanics I've had the pleasure to handle. First of all, the way your skillset grows in both variety and ridiculousness keeps the pace of the game consistent, and adds significant depth to the combat system. Even in the last sections of the game, new powers aren't shoehorned in only to be used a couple of times, but they integrate seamlessly into your moveset and you keep finding new ways to keep making longer and more satisfying combos (which is something the game's difficulty will force you to do, as enemy encounters grow in complexity and number). Not only that, but the satisfaction of landing every punch is huge here, with great visual feedback to go along with every successful hit.

The game isn't terribly long, clocking in at about 6 hours, if I'm not mistaken. That's something I actually appreciate, as it means it never overstays its welcome. Each new area also has its own unique look which keeps the game fresh, except for maybe a couple of "dungeons" that look similar between them. Speaking of repetition, there's also somewhat little enemy variety, though due to the length of the game it's never bothering enough to detract from the experience in the end. The music is fun, and it goes along well with the environments and the silly atmosphere of the game.

In the end, this is a funny and entertaining game made brilliant by a perfectly executed combat system. It has a very pleasant coat of paint, fun dialog, a story that knows it's silly and doesn't get in your way too often, but the addictiveness and satisfaction it provides out of every single enemy encounter is what sealed the deal for me.

Here's a music sample: Boss Theme and Desierto Caliente
...and some pictures:

jiggles

Banned
I'm going to go for The Fall.

headerl6ujx.jpg

I watched 3 minutes of footage of this game and that's all I needed to buy it. I loved The Swapper, so it was hitting all the right notes for me in terms of visual style and setting, and the gameplay seemed like such a unique and interesting take on traditional adventure mechanics that it was impossible to say no.

06d3417b9454fe7016f4e3d57f4166cf_large.JPG
7ebd2ba6db29c2f283579b56e41726cd_large.JPG

In The Fall, you don't play as the guy walking around in the combat suit, but rather, the AI module of the suit itself. You are ARID, and you have booted up to discover your human pilot is unconscious inside and in need of urgent medical assistance. However, your protocols don't give you access all of the functions of your suit without authorisation from your pilot, unless their life is in immediate danger without it.

This short story/puzzles video explains the ramifications of this better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85m0VZ56UM

It's apparently only the first of three planned chapters, but it's a very promising start, considering it was made on a relatively shoestring budget. One of the best things to come out of Kickstarter. The game raises some interesting points on roboethics and blurs the line of the First Law to leave you with some questions to ponder over for hours. And I love it.

Steam Store Page

Support this damn game.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm going to go for The Fall.

I've been really looking forward to playing this, and can't wait. Have you played The Swapper before and can you compare it? At first glance this looks similar, though it does feature combat, right? And maybe some stealth? Regardless, I'm a sucker for atmospheric sci-fi games so it's definitely among the ones I plan to play very soon.

My next game is Deadlight.

Deadlight is a 2D sidescroller with elements of survival-horror with a cinematic presentation. Developed by Tequila Works, the ones that are making PS4 exclusive Rime. It was released for Xbox 360 and Steam in 2012.

The game tells the story of Randall Wayne, a former park ranger who sets out to find his family in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Intended as a throwback to the classic sidescrolling games of the 1980s and early 1990s, such as Prince of Persia, Another World and Flashback. It has its flaws, the controls are not very responsive, specially the jumping feels weird, but I was hooked from start to finish because of the presentation and story. Actually somewhat demanding game for being an indie title.

ylwq2ws.jpg

I9EaY9i.jpg

Review

jiggles

Banned
I've been really looking forward to playing this, and can't wait. Have you played The Swapper before and can you compare it? At first glance this looks similar, though it does feature combat, right? And maybe some stealth? Regardless, I'm a sucker for atmospheric sci-fi games so it's definitely among the ones I plan to play very soon.

The Swapper is one of my all-time faves! There's a lot of similarities in setting, visuals and themes between it and The Fall. There's a bunch of existential questions raised in both, though they're a little more grounded in reality in The Fall because it's dealing with AI instead of
supernatural rocks
. That made the whole concept more interesting to think about, because it's more of a "what will happen when..." scenario than a "what if..."

In terms of gameplay, though, there's nothing in common. The Fall is like an old school point-and-click game with some peek-a-boo cover-combat. That last part is a shame, because the rest of it is so good it didn't need it, but it does add a little pace to the proceedings and there's always a tense feeling when coming through a corridor that had some shut-down security droids in it the last five times you walked past.

But the puzzles are good, challenging, and there's a sort of dark sense of humour running through a lot of them. It's not perfect, but its flaws are easy to forgive, particularly if you're in to this kind of Sci-Fi setting.

maxcriden

Some great entries so far. Keep 'em coming and I'll pick winners most likely Saturday morning. (I'm really looking forward to checking out The Swapper when it comes to Wii U in November.)

dot

Skullgurls

2d fighter. Has a great sense of humor and gorgeous sprites. I don't have any good videos so i'll just link to a webm of me getting my butt kicked. Also has free DLC for a limited time (3 months~). The current one is Eliza.

http://a.pomf.se/xegeoh.webm
---
Speedrunners

This is a really good party game. Basically Mario Kart if it were a game about outracing the other opponents on a 2d plane. Can be very tense and hilarious. Still in early access so it can be a bit buggy. Here's a webm to see what's up.

http://a.pomf.se/magtek.webm

also no one really noticed this but this is the best swinging game since Spiderman 2 :O

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Right, so I promised I'd post here, took me a bit longer than I thought but the last two days have been rather busy.

My choice for a game that has provided me with great enjoyment recently is a port of an old SEGA arcade classic. It's been available on Steam for a while but I only got a chance to try it recently, which is probably a good thing because it was patched not long ago to improve controller support and resolution/image quality.

Now I'll say right off the bat that I'm kind of biased when it comes to this particular genre, if it even qualifies as a genre. It's something I've enjoyed ever since I was a child but haven't had the chance to do in recent years. How much you enjoy this game will largely depend on your level of appreciation for the simple yet addictive gameplay of other SEGA score attack games like Crazy Taxi and House of The Dead/Typing of the Dead, NiGHTS into Dreams, etc. In addition it'll probably also depend on how much you're interested in the real life version.

Here's my Steam "review":

Get%20Bass%20Sega%20Bass%20Fishing%20(JAP)%20-%20Front.jpg

Games like this are what make SEGA arcade KINGS!

Take a niche concept to begin with (fishing), narrow it down to a ridiculous level (Bass only) and then polish every bit of gameplay, sound and presentation until it shines like a new ferrari and is more addictive than crack.

For people who enjoy fishing in real life, this game is pure bliss. And even if you're not into fishing but still love other arcade classics from the turn of the century, this one stands proud among them.

There are a few things that make this game special to me. For one, the fish A.I. is genuinely pretty good and can make you feel like you're really hunting a sentient animal. The second is the high degree of control the game gives you over your rod, different types of lure, jerking the line to simulate movement of a smaller fish in order to increase the effectiveness of your lure, etc. It's clear that attention was also paid to other aspects of the simulations such as how fish locations within each lake are dependent on time of day, weather, placement of surrounding structures, and even size and "temperament" of individual fish. Also, the game does a great job with how it gradually reveals certain things to you. It not only rewards you with additional content as you improve, but also lets you get a glimpse at locations of bigger fish (as well as other odd surprises dumped at the bottom of lakes) in your vicinity each time you cast your rod. This feels a bit like peeking behind the "fog of war" in old RTS games, and it definitely helps to keep you coming back for more.

If that sounds like too much of a simulation, then the other half of SEGA Bass Fishing is basically the complete opposite from a design point of view. Bright colors, electric guitars rolling in the background, intense time limits, and a nostalgic "jankyness" that's hard to describe.
To add further context to the above statement, and to my Steam "review", this game is incredibly janky, but it's janky in the best way possible: in ways only late 90s-early 00s SEGA could be. From the infectiously cheesy announcer, to the extreme close up-action shots from inside the Bass' mouth as it swallows the bait, Sega Bass Fishing has an awkward coolness to it that harkens back to a more naive time, both for gaming and for the world in general. Very few, including Sega, have been able to replicate that kind of jankyness in the present, perhaps very few have even been interested in replicating it.

GreedyExcitableClam.gif

But those of us who remember fondly the early days of 3D, when the rules for gameplay and presentation weren't completely established yet and publishers and developers were more open to trying out all kinds of weird concepts, we know there was something special about that time that's still waiting its turn to become fashionable again.

Bonus: Beating Soul Calibur with the Dreamcast Fishing Rod

maxcriden

Congrats to our winners! There were some really superb entries so it was really tough to pick winners. Here they are, though!

I'm gonna have to go with:

Well, one of the game I recently completed and enjoyed was Final Fantasy IV.

Thanks for the chance :)

Desktop Dungeons.

This game isn't for everyone, but if you love roguelikes and want a challenge, it's the perfect bite sized puzzler. If you love math puzzles, you'll also likely love this.

A Story About My Uncle is one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played.

One Way Heroics

While the game is nothing special to look at the game can feel unique each time due to randomly generated worlds, and has plenty to do... but I am getting ahead of myself.

First what is this game?
It's a game where you pick a class, pick a few perks, and then walk right. Now you can walk left if you want, but there is some darkness chasing you and if you touch it... DEATH! So you will want to keep your Heroics going One Way... right :p

Top Bottom