• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Pong action the way you like it!

FnordChan

There's a bit of wisdom that's been lost over the years in the video game industry. It's something you'd think the marketing gurus would have held on to no matter what, but alas the days of yore are gone, those glory days when the arcade world knew how to sell a video game - with the ladies.

computer-01.jpg

The world's first arcade video game and they get it right on the first try. And while their later advertisements weren't quite as sultry...

computer-02.jpg

...you still get fine women sporting awesome 70s fashion to sell the product. Not anime girls. Not Rob Liefeld knock-offs. Not fucking Mario. Fine women, the way God and Nolan Bushnell intended.

However, as sexy as Computer Space was, if you really want the hot advertising action, there's only one word that comes to mind. That word is...Pong.

table-01.jpg

pong-stare02.jpg

coupe-franc.jpg

pong-stare03.jpg

barrel-pong.jpg

pong-stare04.jpg

Let's not forget the hot action waiting overseas!

pong-tron01.jpg

pong-stare07.jpg

And once things go beyond simple Pong...why, there's no turning back!

tennis-03.jpg

pong-stare05.jpg

Iwata, Kutaragi, and Moore take note - that's the way you do it! I expect to see a dramatic increase in the quality of your advertising as soon as possible. Thanks to the Arcade Flyer Archive for the important history lesson.

FnordChan

jedimike

FnordChan said:
...you still get fine women sporting awesome 70s fashion to sell the product. Not anime girls. Not Rob Liefeld knock-offs. Not fucking Mario. Fine women, the way God and Nolan Bushnell intended.

You shake my pleasant sir! You shake my pleasant.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This thread is full of awesome :)

And since this is GAF, I must say that the lady from the first pic has a rather ugly left foot.

LakeEarth

Funky Papa said:
This thread is full of awesome :)

And since this is GAF, I must say that the lady from the first pic has a rather ugly left foot.
That's not a foot, thats a fucking block of carved wood. Jesus.

FnordChan

Is there life after Pong?

pong-stare08.jpg

Well, for his sake there had better be. Let's see if we can discover some more gems of 1970s arcade advertising.

post-pong02.jpg

post-pong09.jpg

post-pong01.jpg

I want to find the guy in charge of Atari's graphic design from the period and shake his hand. You can just feel the arcade operators reaching for the phone and frantically placing orders the moment they catch a glimpse of those fine women and colored stripes. Because, in the brave new world of TV games, these weren't just entertaining diversions...they were your gateway to swinging!

post-pong04.jpg

post-pong05.jpg

post-pong10.jpg

post-pong12.jpg

post-pong06.jpg

pong-stare06.jpg

You know what the problem with our beloved hobby is? It's no longer the purview of the glamorous set, erotically charged games to be played over cocktails. No, now you just buy the damn things at Wal-Mart, and there's nothing sexy whatsoever about that. The end of the Playboy Clubs signalled the end of the romance of gaming. But, for a bit longer we can remind ourselves of those glory days when a quarter spent could mean an evening of passion.

post-pong17.jpg

See that man? He's about to know the thrill of victory in every way possible. You just don't get that with the kids playing Tekken down at the mall. Or take this ad for instance:

post-pong03.jpg

That man, my friends, is a winner to the goddamned hilt. When Midway tells you it's the "television skill game that fits the mood of any scene", you know exactly what kind of mood they're talking about.

As the Seventies waned and video games became increasingly popular, this sort of advertising mostly fell by the wayside. But, is that truly the end? Can there be hope for the future?

turbo.jpg

pong-stare07.jpg

Damn straight.

FnordChan

RSP

DAMN

People used to drink booze all night long and have hot angry sex after a game of pong?

that is SO awesome.

the YES pictures are a riot :)

VALIS

Best thread ever. Or pretty close. Ahh. Back when video games were stylish and sophisticated entertainment aimed at all ages and weren't all poor imitations of third rate cartoons. Ohhh dear. <sobs uncontrollably>

FnordChan

VALIS said:
Best thread ever. Or pretty close. Ahh. Back when video games were stylish and sophisticated entertainment aimed at all ages and weren't all poor imitations of third rate cartoons. Ohhh dear. <sobs uncontrollably>

I mean, just look at the sort of crap we get nowadays:

crap.jpg

pong-stare09.jpg

Like I said, it's all been downhill since the 70s. Well...there may have been a few exceptions here and there.

splash.jpg

pong-stare10.jpg

FnordChan

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
No we get to have the bitches in the games though instead of prancing around next to them in cocktail dresses. And they often have blades attached to their forearms!

Pimpbaa

As a kid, I always wondering why they made those cocktail cabinets for some arcade games. Now I know, they are for hittin on the ladies!

Pimpbaa

jamesinclair said:
Those Japanese Pong-tron girls....

:(

:lol I guess sega didn't have the money to hire good lookin girls that early in their life. Thankfully they got a hot one for their Turbo ad.

pong-stare09.jpg

pong-stare10.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

You really out did yourself with those two. Congrats man, truly one of the greatest threads I have every seen on GAF.

Also
post-pong10.jpg

Some serious boot knockin' is about to happen in that room all because of a video game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
What happened to game consoles and cabinets coming in multiple colors? OK sure the PS2, GC and XBox had a couple different colors available but none of them came in the CLASSIC colors such as: Honey, Solid White, Harvest Gold, Solid Beige, Adobe Gold, and by far the best, Bright Russet. Classics indeed.

VALIS

flarkminator said:
Its still funny no matter how many times I read this thread

This is like the fifth time I scrolled through the whole thing and read every bit. The booze, the women, the fashion, the sexual anticipation hanging in the air in every photo, the electronic table tennis... my mind reels!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Appears to me that game players back then was all about getting their joystick played with too

Top Bottom