• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full lunar eclipse (Wednesday, 8th of October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

lunar-eclipse-blood-moon.jpg

http://www.space.com/27338-total-lunar-eclipse-rare-sunrise-selenelion.html

Just a heads up that there'll be a full lunar eclipse event in a couple of days, the second this year. This occurs when the moon passes through the shadow that the Earth casts into space. During totality, the moon frequently appears to be copper-red in colour. This is due to light from the sun being bent around Earth's atmosphere - the blue light is scattered away, leaving the red-yellow light to fall on the moon's surface.

The moon will enter Earth's penumbra at 8 Oct at 8:17 AM (UTC), and the event will finish at 8 Oct at 1:32 PM (UTC).

Time to start of penumbral eclipse:

t1412756100z4.png

Time to start of full eclipse:

t1412763900z4.png

Time to end of full eclipse:

t1412767200z4.png

Time to end of penumbral eclipse:

t1412775000z4.png

total-lunar-eclipse-oct8-2014-visibility.jpg

In North America, viewers will have to get up early to watch the eclipse. On the eastern coast of Australia, viewers will see the entire spectacle in the early evening. (Unfortunately Europe and Africa will be missing out on this one.) I'd like to see photos that people take of the event from different regions around the world!

shira

Just a heads up that there'll be a full lunar eclipse event in a couple of days, the second this year. This occurs when the moon passes through the shadow that the Earth casts into space. During totality, the moon frequently appears to be copper-red in colour. This is due to light from the sun being bent around Earth's atmosphere - the blue light is scattered away, leaving the red-yellow light to fall on the moon's surface.

http://www.space.com/27338-total-lunar-eclipse-rare-sunrise-selenelion.html

total-lunar-eclipse-oct8-2014-visibility.jpg

In North America, viewers will have to get up early to watch the eclipse. On the eastern coast of Australia, viewers will see the entire spectacle in the early evening. (Unfortunately Europe and Africa will be missing out on this one.) I'd like to see photos that people take of the event from different regions around the world!

http://secondapps.com/countdown/ timers would be nice OP

jchap

Man, fuck the East coast. Can never see the cool space stuff.

From my front yard on the east coast :p

As for the lunar eclipse: There is a chance of it being cloudy which is enough of an excuse for me not to wake up and setup for it.

There will be another one in April where the moon will be higher in the sky for the east coast.

Yrael

From my front yard on the east coast :p

As for the lunar eclipse: There is a chance of it being cloudy which is enough of an excuse for me not to wake up and setup for it.

There will be another one in April where the moon will be higher in the sky for the east coast.

Nice images!

Yeah, there will be another lunar eclipse next year. Unfortunately the totality will only last a mere four minutes because the moon just barely scrapes the edge of the umbra:

Animation_April_4_2015_lunar_eclipse_appearance.gif

By contrast, tonight's eclipse will last much longer because it comes closer to the middle of the umbra:

Animation_October_8_2014_lunar_eclipse_appearance.gif

So pissed, I was outside last night taking pics of the Moon, preparing for tonight - perfect clear skies (east coast AU).

Today it's been cloudy with drizzly rain all day and doesn't look like it's going to clear for tonight. Sonofabitch.

Yrael

So pissed, I was outside last night taking pics of the Moon, preparing for tonight - perfect clear skies (east coast AU).

Today it's been cloudy with drizzly rain all day and doesn't look like it's going to clear for tonight. Sonofabitch.

Ah damn, that sucks. :/ Conditions are looking clear for me still, and I think it'll continue into the evening - hopefully the clouds will disperse in your region!

MIMIC

Banned
Couldn't sleep...so I decided to check it out. It's kinda cloudy here (Tampa, FL), but I can still see the moon pretty well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Hip Hop

I can count in my hand the days we usually get rainy weather in Arizona in a year and today, it's full blown cloudy.

nice.

I can kinda see the penumbra happening. The east side of the moon is a little bit darker now. Los Angeles (West Hollywood) reporting here, all clear skies.

MIMIC

Banned
I made a thread a little while ago about seeing a "sun halo". Right now, I can see a MOON halo.

I'd take a picture, but it's so faint that it probably wouldn't even show up. I can barely see it myself.

TheOGB

Banned
I gotta look out the window at a weird angle, and the top of the neighbor's tree is kinda in the way, but I can see it happening.

MIMIC

Banned
My phone's camera is so crappy. The moon is like 45% gone but when I take a pic, it's 99% there, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom