• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full lunar eclipse (Wednesday, 8th of October)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

Not a very good shot, but this is the best I managed to shoot freehand with a crappy 18-55 lens. (Yes, instagram has made me hopelessly obsessed with 1:1 cropping.)

GQyLAMI.jpg

Pretty cool.

That is awesome.

ASTROID2

Both the lunar eclipse where you could see Mars and Spika and this one the sky has been crystal clear. I'm in Wisconsin. :)

Took these with my telescope and phone.

At first I was like "WHY ARE THERE TWO MOONS WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON?!" then I noticed it was two photos. lol

toohectic

Been up for the last 45 minutes or so checking it out. The eclipse seems to have peaked right at 4am. Looked absolutely incredible since the sky was so clear. I was more intrigued with the rest of the stars since they were so intense tonight. Orion, Jupiter, and especially Sirius looked so damn bright. The atmospheric conditions were just right for star gazing. Ok back to bed, but definitely worth while getting up to see it.

Cerity

Been up for the last 45 minutes or so checking it out. The eclipse seems to have peaked right at 4am. Looked absolutely incredible since the sky was so clear. I was more intrigued with the rest of the stars since they were so intense tonight. Orion, Jupiter, and especially Sirius looked so damn bright. The atmospheric conditions were just right for star gazing. Ok back to bed, but definitely worth while getting up to see it.

Due to the eclipse itself :)

Star/planet gazing is recommended during the new moon periods because of it.

I doubt you saw Sirius with Orion out. That's a summer star.
It was probably Arcturus.

Yrael

Woo, the clouds cleared. I took a few photos.

(I actually had an interesting experience! As I was snapping pictures of the blood moon, I heard something scrabbling frantically at the fence at the back of the garden. I assumed it was a possum on the ground, and carried on moon-gazing. About ten minutes passed, and then suddenly this weird, hair-raising growl echoed in the night, seemingly very close to where I was sitting - it sounded a bit like a cat's purr, but from something much larger and more menacing. That did it. I dashed into the house, grabbed a torch and then shone it around the garden. But I couldn't see anything there - whatever it was had vanished, and didn't come back again for the remainder of the eclipse. I'm assuming it was a koala - I hear their grunting cries a lot at night, although this didn't sound exactly the same.)

toohectic

I doubt you saw Sirius with Orion out. That's a summer star.
It was probably Arcturus.

Just reviewed some constellation maps, and it was definitely Sirius. Plus I was using my various star apps on my phone to learn about other less common constellations when I was gazing last night. Sirius is relatively close to Orion, so it's expected to see both when the constellation of Orion is high in the sky.

Hollycat

I was still up at 6 because night shift, and here in Texas, the moon was almost completely covered except the tiniest sliver that just wouldn't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom